Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Onlìl Akur, a community fortress  (Read 14110 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Onlìl Akur, a community fortress
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

Logbook, 13th of Malachite, 1052:
We got eight immigrants today, bringing the population of the fortress up to 35. They were a cheese maker (now farmer and cook as well), a potash maker (military), a weaver (now clothier and farmer), a siege engineer (now engraver and mechanic), two peasants (military), a planter, and a brewer (turned farmer/cook).

Logbook, 23rd of Malachite, 1052:
It's been decided that we're going to have a clear glass window in the barracks, so Door is getting on that. The bone carver is making all sorts of bone armor for the new troops and the carpenter, whichever one is on the job, is going to make some wooden shields. Our army has very little metal, and probably little mettle as well, but we can hope.

I've also noticed that the humans traded us some... odd... fish. They're little things, very squishy. They also give you an unpleasant tingling feeling when you touch the strings that come off of them. The humans advertised them as "Sea Nettle" so I thought that they had created some new kind of plant. If these are some sort of fruit, I'm going to let someone else eat them. I never did like the ocean.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

Logbook, 5th of Galena, 1052:
We're thinking of making a moat surrounding the fortress that's filled with magma but I don't know what the other dwarves think of it. It could be dangerous if our soldiers were fighting around it, but it definitely would be just as dangerous to our enemies.

Also, people report that Dagur the metalsmith is acting strange and heading for the forge. I don't know what they're talking about, so I'll take a look.

Logbook, 6th of Galena, 1052:
Yeah, he said something about an "amazing idea" and grabbed some bronze and a section of giant cave spider silk cloth. Now he's working away at something he won't let anyone see "'till it's done," as he says.

Also, MC Escher is becoming more skilled at masonry, which is good.

Logbook, 10th of Galena, 1052:
Dagur made a bronze crossbow with a picture of a mountain in bronze and bands of giant cave spider silk on it. It's very high quality and I've valued it at 36000 monies. He now says that he knows how to make amazing weapons, so I've assigned him alone to weapon-making duty.

Logbook, 16th of Galena, 1052:
Biggs was killed today, by another carp we named Uzlirmishthem. Biggs and Dwarmin were trying to channel the little pond out to make the water shallow enough to drown the carp, which was a success, but only because Biggs distracted the carp while Dwarmin channeled hastily. Biggs was ripped apart, but the carp were destroyed. That was only a small consolation in the end.

We shall turn those carp into leather or something! Their bones shall decorate the military's armor!

We also got Maxwell's bones. Poor Maxwell, poor Dwarmin. They shall not be forgotten.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Logbook, 18th of Galena, 1052:
Dagur and General Valter now have a child, a little girl. That has lightened the mood slightly.

[OOC: You two can name her if you want to, I'll let you do that. She's getting her father's last name, though, "Dragonrider." All dwarf babies will get their fathers' last names.]

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

Dwarmin’s notebook
Page 34

Why does death seem to follow me? We are down to 5 of the first 7 that first came here. Me and Biggs were trying to drown those damn water demons by digging out their pond-they had been jealously guarding Maxwell’s bones for a couple months-when I heard a commotion above me. I told Biggs to stay away from the edge. I guess she was trying to distract them, but the beasts leapt out of the water and pulled her in! When I gained the courage to jump into the drained muddy pit, I saw her gnawed corpse, pulled apart in the monsters dying throes. The water demons were dead, drowned in air, and I find some measure of resolution in this. I also saw many bones covered in the sediments-some from Maxwell, others from rabbits or Macaques. I also impaled my foot on a broken Unicorn horn-turns out they do exist…

I enjoyed your company, Biggs. I don’t know where Zokunites go when they die, but I hope you got there, at least. I drink in your honor! (Dwarven ale is splashed on the page)

But life always goes on. Our fort is growing nicely. The first child was born to our General and his wife. Many Dwarves have heard of opportunities here, and we have received several outcasts and vagabonds from the smaller outlying mountain homes. I spoke to one, who called himself Bomb-something. He said he was fleeing the increasingly frequent Goblin raids on his distant hometown. Maybe something stirred them up?

(A small sketch of a butterfly on a fallen log-its quite good “I saw this when I came up for some fresh air today-at least I have a career if I lose my legs, HA” it is noted)

I heard someone raving about a magma moat. It would be dangerous-some would almost certainly die, buts it’s a small price to pay for saving more lives in the long run. Sooner the later, the Goblins will sniff our treasures out like an Elephant scents meat.

I cant wait to put my feet up in private office. It’s been a long day.
I hope no one found my bottle of wine hidden in the bottom drawer.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

Mr. K   First Entry, excerpt,
... and then some Rat Weed, perfect.    Well it has been eventful here, though I've been hearing something about a Magma moat.   I've been working on a new entertainment enhancer drink recipe.  The base being dwarven Ale, maybe next immigration wave I can get a test subject.  Seems our numbers have raised and dwindled, some of the group I came with have died.   I hope they store my booze far enough away from the moat, don't need the booze exploding.

-- Mr. K
(On a side note, how is Mr. K doing? Also can you post his Relationship page?)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

Might as well my relationship info, too. Maybe just go ahead and show all the claimed character's.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

Well, I think I got everyone here. Except the dead people, because although you can look at their stuff I didn't really feel like it.

I and Dwarmin are lovers. That'll be hard to explain. This is made even more awkward by the fact that I made Paul male, and Dwarmin has been male, so Paul gets to be female again because it seems that Dwarf Companion's sex-changing abilities are a bit... unpolished, we'll say.

Of course, this means you can only have homosexual dwarves with Companion, but I'm not sure if I want to go there as one of them might have kids which would be even harder to explain.

To the profiles! Anyone who doesn't have a second page doesn't have any friends on that second page, just acquaintances.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

And now I'm more than due for a logbook entry.

Logbook, 4th of Sandstone, 1052:
The dwarves came and I bought many things off of them. I hate to say it, but most of the stuff we traded with had belonged to the dead migrants. But, nobody really seemed offended.

Also, it seems that the other dwarves are starting to notice I and Dwarmin's "relationship." I don't know what to do about that, and I'll have to consult him.

[OOC: Remember, Paul is female now. To make things less odd, in case of childbirth and stuff.]

The barracks are complete enough to train in, but there are still about three sections of roof that need fixed. Block-making is slow due to our inexperienced masons, but they need experience.

We're bringing in crops of prickle berries and fisher berries now from our above-ground farms, and are continuing to plant pig tails down in the underground farms before winter comes.

Dagur has made a couple excellent weapons for the military, as well, though she will have to make a few more to fit the entire military (12 soldiers). They are outfitted in some fine steel armor that we got off the dwarves. The suit of plate mail that one is wearing was particularly expensive, costing us almost all of our spare socks

-Paul McCartney

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »

((No page for Door? T_T))
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

I knew I missed someone.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

Wow, I'm friendly.

Hmm...  I wonder what will happen now that good ol' DC has changed the genders...  What will become of that lover's tryst?  Will the Breakfast of Champions become the dwarven Massachusetts?  

And, most importantly, will they still have kids?  

Eeek....

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>And, most importantly, will they still have kids?  

Eeek....</STRONG>

Wait, wasn't Dwarmin male? I haven't made any lesbians, right? Because I tried to avoid things like same-sex children because of the physical impossibility.

Or are you just making a sex-change joke?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

Logbook, 7th of Sandstone, 1052:
A weaver was taken by a fey mood today, just like Dagar. I wonder what will come of it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

No, I'm commenting on pne of the more horrifying bugs that sometimes rears its ugly, deformed head...  

Male childbirth.

It's happened before, although it was very rare.  You may just have set the stage for one very uncomfortable labor with the meddlings of Dwarf Companion.  It should be interesting to see how it pans out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Ah, Companion can lead to some interesting things. Always fun.

In other news, it seems the game decides who marries who before they're even lovers because it may have looked for gender otherwise. So you can't avoid your dwarves' fate by save scumming.

Logbook, 11th of Sandstone, 1052:
The weaver made a pig tail coat named 'Deler Foldcudgels' that menaces with spikes of pig tail and feather tree, and has rings of cave spider silk. Overall, it's worth 9000 monies. He also knows how to make some fine cloth, so he's now the only one who will be weaving thread into cloth.

Also, a cat had five kittens. We celebrated this by killing all of them. Huzzah!

Logbook, 13th of Sandstone, 1052:
Ringo just finished discussing things with the dwarven liason, and we ordered gems and some metal. They said they would pay much for some blocks, large gems, cut gems, and backpacks and a decent amount more than usual for bracelets, quivers, and leather.

We've also decided to floor the ground level of the above-ground structure with felsite blocks, because we are still using block-making to train our masons.

Logbook, 1st of Timber, 1052:
It was chaos today as the fortress was stormed by rhesus macaques. The military saw them coming through their clear glass windows and were immediately put into action. It was excellent training, and we have some more meat, bone, and leather. Always good.

Logbook, 2nd of Timber, 1052:
Again! It's happened again! Not macaques, but carp! One of the soldiers thought it appropriate to show off his talent at killing things by slaughtering a unicorn, but he chased it too close to a pond and was dragged in and ripped apart, along with the unicorn.

We've named the pike that killed him 'Romancebristled' or 'âbirlek'. We swear revenge upon this beast, but we do not want to risk the life of our only remaining miner channeling the pond out.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7