Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 998060 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #8085 on: July 04, 2014, 08:41:27 am »

How do you stop caravans from bringing certain plants, in a way that lets you still grow them in a fort?
[SAVAGE] would be a good way. Most players like playing in savage anyway, and civs can't live in those regions, so they shouldn't be in the caravan.
Similarly, you can give plants biomes more restrictive than the typical DF vanilla [NOT_FREEZING] allowance, and then make sure that dwarf entities can't live in those very specific biomes. Yet players can start forts there, giving them those plants from herbalism, but not the caravan.
I don't think it would work. Elves still bring whip vine seeds even though they are savage plants.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: July 04, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »

On the wiki, it says that carnivorous civilizations die out in worldgen, and that goblins and kobolds live off raw exceptions. But why do they die? I'm thinking of making a civ that dies out and you have to rebuild it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: July 04, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »

On the wiki, it says that carnivorous civilizations die out in worldgen, and that goblins and kobolds live off raw exceptions. But why do they die? I'm thinking of making a civ that dies out and you have to rebuild it.
The wiki is likely outdated in saying that. The reason kobolds used to die out is because civ creatures with CARNIVORE and BONECARN starved to death, something which shouldn't happen anymore, or at least not to historical figures. Right now, you can't force a civ to die out with raw modding alone.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: July 04, 2014, 12:51:47 pm »

The wiki is likely outdated in saying that. The reason kobolds used to die out is because civ creatures with CARNIVORE and BONECARN starved to death, something which shouldn't happen anymore, or at least not to historical figures. Right now, you can't force a civ to die out with raw modding alone.
Ah. Well, they die out anyway, given that they are realistic antmen. Their entire race depends on one queen, and if she dies everyone dies.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: July 04, 2014, 02:12:25 pm »

I read somewhere that goblins and kobolds live off of raw exceptions (aka: they're hard-coded to not die out).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8090 on: July 04, 2014, 02:30:48 pm »

I read somewhere that goblins and kobolds live off of raw exceptions (aka: they're hard-coded to not die out).
Not true.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: July 04, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »

Raw exceptions, not hard-coded ones. They both have [NO_EAT].

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: July 04, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »

Didn't Toady once state that goblins don't really eat at all? Something about being sustained by dark arts or sheer malice.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: July 04, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »

Goblins have NO_EAT, and are meant to have it to make them less human/more mini-demonish. Kobolds do not have NO_EAT. It should be a simple enough check whether the wiki is outdated - give humans the CARNIVORE tag and generate a long-history world. Let's try it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: July 04, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »

I didn't divulge that deep into the raws to check.
The wiki could be outdated as far as we know, and it certainly will when DF2014 comes out.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »

Sooo, after around 300 years in a small world with 20 civs:
 * there are ~12000 historical figures.
 * total civilized creature population is 125113
 * 23327 are dwarves
 * 46506 are elves
 * 51703 are goblins
 * 840 are kobolds
 * 2737 are humans. That may well be a population of historical figures, who definitely survive starvation. I could check in adventure mode, but it doesn't bode too well for my big mouth.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8097 on: July 04, 2014, 04:12:37 pm »

I have found dozens of things on the wiki that are outdated or wrong. Its a great resource, but I would always test things myself to be sure.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: July 04, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »

It seems to be quite accurate on the functions of tags, which is why it's very useful when you don't know exactly what a thing does or what you need to make a thing happen.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: July 04, 2014, 04:24:13 pm »

I have found dozens of things on the wiki that are outdated or wrong. Its a great resource, but I would always test things myself to be sure.

And then edit it if it's wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 544