Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963161 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3195 on: March 02, 2016, 12:11:43 pm »

Too late, Exterminatus inbound on your position.
And you can't apologize for heresy anyway.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: March 02, 2016, 12:13:15 pm »

As if I care.

Now, do you want to continue talking about the game?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: March 02, 2016, 12:14:44 pm »

Let's face it, it's a story with a long-ass history. It'd be like people trying to make Grimdark outta Discworld. It's gonna have some flaws.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: March 02, 2016, 12:17:00 pm »

That is certainly true, the sheer amount of material that has been added and retconned over the years has made it into an amusing Frankenstein's monster.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3199 on: March 02, 2016, 12:22:43 pm »

As if I care.

Now, do you want to continue talking about the game?
Aren't we? Oh, wait, I'm sorry, you don't think the lore is worth anything so we totally should only talk about tabletop rollplaying.
It'd be like people trying to make Grimdark outta Discworld.
I'm pretty sure that it has been done. Also, there's always Discworld Noir, not the same, but...
That is certainly true, the sheer amount of material that has been added and retconned over the years has made it into an amusing Frankenstein's monster.
Wh40k lore is beautiful and perfect and you're just a heretic for not worshipping it. It's not like it has been violently violated by numerous people shaping it in the way they like and going deep into Grimderp territories.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: March 02, 2016, 12:28:49 pm »

kot, if you seriously think that trying to drown out dissenting opinions with mindless 'fer da empruh' lines is discussing the lore, then I fail to see how any conversation can occur.

Here's a talking point for you:  The whole setting can only exist if every single entity involved makes the worst possible decision every single time a decision has to be made.  This is not only bad writing, it is stupid, I am willing to accept that there can be only war, as long as there is actually a viable reason for it.  Thus the Necrons and Tyrannids are good examples, and the Orks as well, but everything else is just plain mindless.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: March 02, 2016, 12:37:51 pm »

Spoiler: most people in this thread care more about lore than gameplay from what I've gathered. Personally I don't give a single shit about the tabletop, and find the lore interesting.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: March 02, 2016, 12:39:45 pm »

Keep it coming, I'm reporting every single one of you for heresy with the nearest commissar I find.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3203 on: March 02, 2016, 12:47:08 pm »

kot, if you seriously think that trying to drown out dissenting opinions with mindless 'fer da empruh' lines is discussing the lore, then I fail to see how any conversation can occur.
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how LOYALIST I am.
Here's a talking point for you:  The whole setting can only exist if every single entity involved makes the worst possible decision every single time a decision has to be made.  This is not only bad writing, it is stupid, I am willing to accept that there can be only war, as long as there is actually a viable reason for it.  Thus the Necrons and Tyrannids are good examples, and the Orks as well, but everything else is just plain mindless.
Uh, what? I mean, okay, a lot of of people in WH40k make bad decisions, but usually the main ones are pretty well explained and sometimes they actually make good ones. I'm quite a bit confused because I can't think of any major war-starting decision that doesn't seem at least acceptable without hindsight, and the examples you provided are proably the most... "random" ones (maybe except Necrons, but they hate life because they themselves lost it and whatnot), like... Orks go to war because Orks go to war and they don't have any reasons to do so, they just are like this, and Tyranids basically came out of nowhere, we know next to nothing about them except that they want to eat whole Galaxy.
Keep it coming, I'm reporting every single one of you for heresy with the nearest commissar I find.
Spoiler: Shooo! (click to show/hide)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: March 02, 2016, 12:51:18 pm »

Yes, you're right, I don't really know what's got me up in arms this time.

I'll just step back out.

As for kot's multi-quoting:

1. Loyalty without reason is stupidity.
2. The very assumption of it being impossible to coexist with other entities capable of reason is without merit.  The Necron, Tyrannids, and Orks are good examples of why 'only war' exists in the setting is that they cannot be reasoned with at all.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: March 02, 2016, 12:54:00 pm »

I like to think Orks kill people as a compliment. They don't see death as we see it and their highest honor to give is to kill a motherfucker.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: March 02, 2016, 12:56:59 pm »

Now you see, that is something I like.  Orks love to fight, and killing an opponent is by far the highest expression of that mentality.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: March 02, 2016, 01:11:32 pm »

After dark age of technology, the worlds which moved back to medieval state and treated psykers as witches and fuel for fires had much less lol demons problems then advanced worlds.
Getting rid of psykers kinda works.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3208 on: March 02, 2016, 01:22:25 pm »

2. The very assumption of it being impossible to coexist with other entities capable of reason is without merit.  The Necron, Tyrannids, and Orks are good examples of why 'only war' exists in the setting is that they cannot be reasoned with at all.
It's actually... ugh...
First of all, at least in more recent fluff, Necrons can totally be reasoned with and they actually have personalities, but basically they all are so huge plasteel dicks they just kill people for kicks. Their whole existence is actually based on one of oldest (we're talking like millions of years before humanity) stupid and bad decision in Warhammer universe, when they decided that they're jealous of Old Ones and Eldar and so on, since Necrons back then were basically edgy shitlords crying on their own planet getting slowly killed by the radiation. So they took those C'Tan guys, put them into huge bodies of living metal because WHY NOT, got their asses handed to them and started worshipping said C'Tan because WHY NOT, and then themselves got turned into bodies of living metal because WHY NOT, and then they started the whole War in Heaven because WHY NOT, which basically was the sole reason for all the retarded Chaos fuckery in the whole universe, ending with Old Ones also creating Orks to combat Necrons and not giving them a killswitch, all of this because WHY NOT and WHAT AT WORST COULD HAPPEN. Not to mention that mid-War in Heaven C'Tan started to fight each other despite losing heavily to Old Ones, Eldar and Orks because WHY NOT.
And Tyranids appeared out of nowhere because WHY NOT.

Like, okay, most of this stuff is actually pretty solid, which is why I don't understand what pieces you claim are worst decisions and lack of reason for anything, when the stuff you call being actually okay is exactly what you said, worst decisions for no reason at all. Like, point me at something. What seems without reason to you? Horus Heresy, the most explained on event in whole Wh40k universe?
Now you see, that is something I like.  Orks love to fight, and killing an opponent is by far the highest expression of that mentality.
Eh, fighting with you and actually letting you live through it (they aren't going to make it easy though) is the highest expression, since if you die to them, you're worse than them in the end. Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and Yarrick, go figure, though Ghazghkull itself is pretty special, as it's one of few Orks that can speak High Gothic flawlessly.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:24:55 pm by Kot »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: March 02, 2016, 01:33:00 pm »

It's actually... ugh...
First of all, at least in more recent fluff, Necrons can totally be reasoned with and they actually have personalities, but basically they all are so huge plasteel dicks they just kill people for kicks. Their whole existence is actually based on one of oldest (we're talking like millions of years before humanity) stupid and bad decision in Warhammer universe, when they decided that they're jealous of Old Ones and Eldar and so on, since Necrons back then were basically edgy shitlords crying on their own planet getting slowly killed by the radiation. So they took those C'Tan guys, put them into huge bodies of living metal because WHY NOT, got their asses handed to them and started worshipping said C'Tan because WHY NOT, and then themselves got turned into bodies of living metal because WHY NOT, and then they started the whole War in Heaven because WHY NOT, which basically was the sole reason for all the retarded Chaos fuckery in the whole universe, ending with Old Ones also creating Orks to combat Necrons and not giving them a killswitch, all of this because WHY NOT and WHAT AT WORST COULD HAPPEN. Not to mention that mid-War in Heaven C'Tan started to fight each other despite losing heavily to Old Ones, Eldar and Orks because WHY NOT.
And Tyranids appeared out of nowhere because WHY NOT.

Like, okay, most of this stuff is actually pretty solid, which is why I don't understand what pieces you claim are worst decisions and lack of reason for anything, when the stuff you call being actually okay is exactly what you said, worst decisions for no reason at all. Like, point me at something. What seems without reason to you? Horus Heresy, the most explained on event in whole Wh40k universe?
Eh, fighting with you and actually letting you live through it (they aren't going to make it easy though) is the highest expression, since if you die to them, you're worse than them in the end. Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and Yarrick, go figure, though Ghazghkull itself is pretty special, as it's one of few Orks that can speak High Gothic flawlessly.
Having semi-followed this... argument? For the last three pages, I can reliably say that I don't understand what the dealio is here. ALSO, the Necrons' retconning has been some of the worst in 40k in my opinion, their original goal of harvesting sentient life was much more fun.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 824