Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964268 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6525 on: September 13, 2016, 04:44:11 pm »

Whoa! That is cool!

(less cool are the comments confusing 40K with some spanish...)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: September 13, 2016, 05:44:15 pm »

Y?

40K uses a lot of ethnic symbology and themes and designs.

and, it uses especially violent cultures or especially notable cultures.

To deny that the spanish have made their mark (despite or perhaps because of them being the periphery of roman empire, their muslim conquest, subsequent hybrid culture on top of their already hybrid culture, the conquistadors, the spanish colonies, and the influence of those colonies upon best america today) would be silly.

and besides, its not just 40k.  spanish culture, russian culture, all these 'exotic' cultures are familiar enough to a player/reader to know of but out of place enough to allow imagination to take root.  they be scifi/fantasy staples yo.

also, I think Im beginning to justify my disdain for space wolves.  Their theme was a turn off, and the personalities as Ive been seeing are equally yucky.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 05:46:48 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6527 on: September 13, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »

Whoa! That is cool!

(less cool are the comments confusing 40K with some spanish...)
Nobody suspects spanish inquisition... comments

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: September 13, 2016, 06:44:41 pm »

Y?

40K uses a lot of ethnic symbology and themes and designs.

and, it uses especially violent cultures or especially notable cultures.

To deny that the spanish have made their mark (despite or perhaps because of them being the periphery of roman empire, their muslim conquest, subsequent hybrid culture on top of their already hybrid culture, the conquistadors, the spanish colonies, and the influence of those colonies upon best america today) would be silly.

and besides, its not just 40k.  spanish culture, russian culture, all these 'exotic' cultures are familiar enough to a player/reader to know of but out of place enough to allow imagination to take root.  they be scifi/fantasy staples yo.

also, I think Im beginning to justify my disdain for space wolves.  Their theme was a turn off, and the personalities as Ive been seeing are equally yucky.
The Imperium is HRE in SPHESS. One of the moments where the HRE was strongest was under Spain. In fact, under this glorious bastard Karl V/Carlos I (HRE/Spanish name), Spain nearly surrounded France in its entirety. Where it didn't was either water or allies of Spain.

Jump down to the list of his titles.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:46:37 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: September 13, 2016, 06:48:53 pm »

The Spanish Empire, the declining Byzantine Empire, Ancient Rome, Holy Roman Empire... All simmering in a pot with plenty of Baroque Era spices. That's the Imperium we know and love.

And there's Pretoria (British Empire), there's Valhalla (Soviet Union), there's Mordian (Napoleonic France), there's Gudrun (The Shire), there's Krieg (German Empire, crawling in their masks), there's Armageddon (PLANET PANZERGRENADIER! VORVÄRTZ!)... Not to mention Planet Rambo. I love Planet Rambo, incidentally.

If something fascinates you, there's a planet of it somewhere.

(EDIT: Incidentally, I hit up the Lexicanum briefly to double-check stuff. I don't know if it's the wiki I've used before, but if it is, it has undergone a very successful boringification.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:52:16 pm by Silverthrone »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: September 13, 2016, 11:32:42 pm »

I'm thinking about running a few one-off sessions of Only War. Do you think there would there be more interest in a premade adventure, featuring spess Rambos the Catachan Jungle Fighters, or a normal game, featuring a player created/designed regiment?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: September 14, 2016, 03:11:29 am »

(EDIT: Incidentally, I hit up the Lexicanum briefly to double-check stuff. I don't know if it's the wiki I've used before, but if it is, it has undergone a very successful boringification.)
If Lex seems boring, you were probbably using 1d4chan before.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: September 14, 2016, 03:57:17 am »

I'm thinking about running a few one-off sessions of Only War. Do you think there would there be more interest in a premade adventure, featuring spess Rambos the Catachan Jungle Fighters, or a normal game, featuring a player created/designed regiment?

Generally to my Experience letting the players design the regiment is time-consuming as fuck, quite often the game died after regiment creation (which in itself took three sessions)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: September 14, 2016, 06:59:00 am »

Finished Eldrad. Added some orange to tie him in with my Harlequin scheme.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where are the skulls and other holy symbols?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: September 14, 2016, 09:38:32 am »

Generally to my Experience letting the players design the regiment is time-consuming as fuck, quite often the game died after regiment creation (which in itself took three sessions)
Thank you! That's really good to know!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: September 14, 2016, 10:42:16 am »

Played a game with afore-seen ghostkeel.
And some other Tau, probably.

Did some very good work. Kicked some ass, actually. Feel kinda dirty.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: September 14, 2016, 01:44:04 pm »

Based on my experience with Rogue Trader, first time players should have a ton (as in almost everything but their characters) created for them.

Otherwise it would have taken an entire session just to spec out the player's ship. FF 40k games have so much overhead aside from actual character generation, everyone really needs to know what they're doing if you want to play it by the rules and not have it take hours and hours.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: September 14, 2016, 02:55:56 pm »

From what I remember, RT ship rules are kind of an overcomplicated mess. Better just write up one ready for the players (or several options) unless you've got someone really into the process.

Generally, OW games here have had players suggest regiments they've created that people would then vote for. Voting on every single part of the process separately is extremely timeconsuming, and likely to end up in a mess or something thematically disjointed. If you're running a simpler one-off, yeah, I suggest giving a readymade regiment or a few to choose from instead of going for the whole thing.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6538 on: September 14, 2016, 02:56:52 pm »

Winged Hussars regiment.
You know you want it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:28 pm »

From what I remember, RT ship rules are kind of an overcomplicated mess. Better just write up one ready for the players (or several options) unless you've got someone really into the process.

Which is what I did. Luckily people have made good tools for RT, including a ship generator and spec sheet, so that made things easier. I wouldn't say it's overcomplicated though. Not compared to other FF offerings. Everything they make is better suited to a computer game than human brains, IMO, they just include too many moving parts and modifiers to track it all cleanly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 824