Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964515 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9480 on: October 12, 2017, 10:17:27 pm »

Adsecularis use them. The Tech Thralls. Las-locks and Mitralocks, which are basically Lasgun shotguns (basically multiple lower-power beams instead of one strong one).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: October 13, 2017, 01:26:53 pm »

One of the chaos forces in the Gaunt's Ghosts seires use las-locks. I remembered being confused as to what those were when I read it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: October 13, 2017, 01:31:20 pm »

I took a look through one of the new codexes last night (the chaos one).

The vehicles no longer have unique stat blocks, they seem to be critters with some stats missing and a lot of wounds.  It alarms me more than it should.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:29 pm »

One of the chaos forces in the Gaunt's Ghosts seires use las-locks. I remembered being confused as to what those were when I read it.

Well, since "-lock" generally refers to the firing mechanism, you could be forgiven for thinking they're lasguns with a laser pointer on the hammer that swings down to shine into the main laser tube when the trigger is pulled.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: October 13, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »

I took a look through one of the new codexes last night (the chaos one).

The vehicles no longer have unique stat blocks, they seem to be critters with some stats missing and a lot of wounds.  It alarms me more than it should.
It was... a long process for me to get used to.
Suffice to say one of my least favourite changes in eighth.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: October 13, 2017, 05:44:02 pm »

It was actually one of the more common proposed fixes for tanks I've seen since 5th edition.

In 5th they were too hard to kill, you either had the guns to do it or they were immortal.

In 6th/7th they were too easy to kill and too hard to kill at the same time. Actual anti-tank weapons like lascannons mostly did bupkiss while high shots mid strength guns, especially with Rending, glanced them to death, usually in one turn. Exception being drop pod melta and it's equivalents nuking an entire line of tanks in one go.

Monsters compared to them really weirdly despite filling broadly the same function in game design and in actual play, especially when looking at walkers. It was a choice of either make vehicles more like monsters or make monsters more like vehicles. Since monsters were already using the standard rules of the game making vehicles like them was probably the obvious choice.

If they hadn't thrown out the old version of the damage chart it would probably be more or less unnoticable as a change beyond making monsters/vehicles easier to balance.

My biggest problem with 8th is the change to morale. While it's a lot quicker it's also less nuanced and harder to balance, see commissars preventing morale losses rather than rerolling tests or setting a minimum leadership score resulting in guard tarpits being unbreakable.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: October 13, 2017, 05:46:42 pm »

Commissars work basically the exact same though. They set a higher leadership score like always, and instead of 'Instead of running, lose one model', it's 'Instead of losing X models, lose one model'

Edit: Not that I don't have the same complaints with the morale system.
Frankly the thing I liked the least was removing blast templates. I can understand why, but don't really like the system they put in instead. Hordes are now more difficult to deal with than ever.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:49:38 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: October 13, 2017, 06:04:52 pm »

Pretty sure commissars used to be 'lose one model with the highest leadership in the unit, reroll the test' rather than 'lose one model, ignore the test.'

I think the problem with hordes and the loss of templates isn't the template rules so much, but the change to armour pen. With a basic guardsman now getting a 5+ save against flamers and bolters and a 6+ against heavy bolters and heavy flamers they effectively got 40% or so more durable without a reflective price bump making spamming them more effective than before since a lot of templates and blasts have poor rend.

The change to the wounding chart also doesn't help, since it takes S6 to wound guard on a 2 now, so they got even more durable than just the save change would imply.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: October 13, 2017, 06:15:01 pm »

I managed to dig up the 3rd ed codex which is 'Kill the sergeant/officer and insta-pass',
and a 5th ed which says 'Kill the Sergeant and reroll'.
6th ed says 'Roll a dice, on a +3 you pick who dies, on a failure your opponent picks who dies, then insta-pass'.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:32:59 pm by Tack »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: October 13, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »

I really dislike high explosive weapons not being that much high explosive

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:05 pm »

I really dislike high explosive weapons not being that much high explosive

What's the point of basilisk spam if I cant litter the board with pie plates.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: October 13, 2017, 08:30:45 pm »

where is my cyclonic torpedo basilisk
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: October 13, 2017, 08:50:10 pm »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: October 13, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »

The link to the intercontinental nuclear war at the bottom of that page is kinda cool.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 824