Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964239 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9840 on: December 11, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »

Demons are entities of the warp, the warp is a reflection of the minds of the materium. Thus it stands to reason, to ask a question. Is it that demons cannot easily be permanently killed, or is it that killing a demon is an inherently self-defeating concept? Fighting hordes of bloodletters, even if you wiped them all out, would fuel their recreation (in greater numbers!). That embrace of survival of the fittest would continue creating more warrior-warp spawns. But if you made peace with the bloodletters, made peace in the galaxy, the bloodletters would simply cease to be bloodletters.
That sounds like some UN of Earth philosophy there.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9841 on: December 11, 2017, 04:54:55 pm »

Demons are entities of the warp, the warp is a reflection of the minds of the materium. Thus it stands to reason, to ask a question. Is it that demons cannot easily be permanently killed, or is it that killing a demon is an inherently self-defeating concept? Fighting hordes of bloodletters, even if you wiped them all out, would fuel their recreation (in greater numbers!). That embrace of survival of the fittest would continue creating more warrior-warp spawns. But if you made peace with the bloodletters, made peace in the galaxy, the bloodletters would simply cease to be bloodletters.
That sounds like some UN of Earth philosophy there.
dude peace lmao

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: December 11, 2017, 07:33:57 pm »

You can't make peace with the chaos entities. In a way they aren't really intelligent, not more than predators or animals that follow what they want and those that do are intelligent know they need the fucked up state to keep existing, or at least in the way they exist right now.

The only way to deal with them is to banish them and don't allow them come back. I think the mummy terminators might be into something.

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: December 11, 2017, 08:13:30 pm »

I heard something about a civ-style warhammer 40k 4x, have I gone mad or did it just fly over my head?

Gladius has a hexagonal grid... that's the closest I've heard to anything like that.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9844 on: December 11, 2017, 10:53:10 pm »

Killing a daemon in the Warp doesn't actually do anything to it according to Draigo's fluff*.
Never said it's that easy, just that hitting the actual Warp presence is what you would need, since realspace is just a "shadow" of the Warp presence. Sure, mostly when killed in Warp they still just come together after a while, but that still better than Banishing which just limits them appearing back to when they can get next ride back.

Well, killing a demon is actually really easy. What isnt easy is to get everyone to go along with it

The Chaos Gods are reflections of the general mindsets of the material peoples. If the races of the galaxy would stop being so damn Grimdark, the Chaos Gods would follow suit. However, Humanity (And the Eldar, to a certain extent) instead of focusing on un-fucking up their society, focus instead on "Beating" Chaos. This leads to them making more and more fanatical and stupid, grimdark decisions that make their own societies even more fucked up, which in turn causes Chaos to be even more fucked up, which, in turn, due to its effect on everyones psyches, causes everyone else to become more fucked up. Remember, when the Old Ones were still kicking around, the Warp was the "Realm of Souls" and wasnt all that bad. It was mostly just an interdimensional plane full of weird spirit energy and shit. However, when the Old Ones got slaughtered ruthlessly, they're race-wide turmoil messed up the Warp. When the Ctan started eating souls, it caused the Warp to be even more messed up, as suddenly its main composite was getting ripped out. AND THEN, when the Eldar Murder-fucked everything, the resulting society-and-galaxy-spanning completely messed up methodology of thinking caused the God Slaanesh to be "born" (Though really Gods dont die or become born, but thats another topic)

In short, if everyone put down their weapons and tried to be peaceful, then everything would eventually quiet down, and Daemons would either A. Die or B. Become something extremely dissimilar to the daemons we know now. But instead, Chaos causes Material turmoil, Material Turmoil disrupts Chaos, and so everyone is stuck in an eternal cycle of GrimDarkness that could be ended in literally a few years.

In Short: Wanna remove a Daemon from existance? Stop being a shitty person.
That is actually very problematic, because if you all just stop being shit, and stop shooting and in general become peaceful, the deamons aren't going to magically disappear that second. Chaos is going to go on a fucking retarded field trip through the whole Galaxy, now being unopposed, torturing, slaughtering and in general being fun as fuck. Once you start it, it's self-perpetuatng cycle. The only difference is that Khorne would become less powerful.

I heard something about a civ-style warhammer 40k 4x, have I gone mad or did it just fly over my head?

Gladius has a hexagonal grid... that's the closest I've heard to anything like that.
Yeah, Gladius. I actually did hear it described as 4x by devs, which probably means less building a civ, and more building military bases and getting reinforcements instead of technology.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: December 11, 2017, 11:00:03 pm »

Are the Orks still these wierd fungal based entities that spread via spores and if you don't char the planet or something, they'll come right back?

I probably have no clue what I'm talking about anyway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:03:40 pm by smjjames »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: December 11, 2017, 11:04:01 pm »

Here's a link to Warhammer 40,000: Gladius -Relics of War on Steam. Playable factions on release are Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Orks and Necrons. The visuals look nice and it'll be neat to see the cities represented in the civilization style, especially the sprawly nature of Imperial cities. Though, since it looks like the combat will be similar to civilizations as well, I'm a bit eh about that. Perhaps if combat was like in Masters of Magic or Heroes of Might and Magic.

There's some interesting monsters in one of the screenshots. This big scorpion thing as well as those Umber Hulk looking things in the distance.

@smjjames: Yes. That's how they are in Warhammer 40,000. In fantasy I don't think it's ever explicitly stated as being the same but it pretty much is implied to be.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:04 am »

I need complex research for a 4x.

This cannot provide.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: December 12, 2017, 04:54:23 am »

It seems rather meh if you ask me. Slitherine very rarely manages to surprise me. It's a matter of awaiting to see if it holds to the challenge.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9849 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:39 am »

I do not expect it to be something to rival games such as Civilization, but it might be a a nice proof of concept, and if it's a more freeform Slytherine game I would really like it, as Battlefield: Europe remains one of my favourite Panzer Corps mods, and it would certainly be nice if you could basically choose what kind of army would you want to play - for instance, artillery focused Imperial Guard or full-on tank army, and then also multiply those choices by each race, pretty much. In many ways this could be like one of those Civilization Wh40k mods, but with decent quality.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:00 am »

It seems rather meh if you ask me. Slitherine very rarely manages to surprise me. It's a matter of awaiting to see if it holds to the challenge.

^

More or less my feeling. But there's not enough there yet to make a real judgment. Even if the combat looks janky, if the actual exploration and exploitation is good I'd play it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9853 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:56 pm »

Lone American suing Games Workshop for immoral and unlawful business practices. I REPEAT, LONE AMERICAN REPRESENTING HIMSELF IN COURT VERSUS THE GW LEGAL TEAM
HORUS VS OLLY WOULD BE A FAIRER BATTLE
Hasn't this been going on for a while or this a new case?
This one in particular is 5 months old, but it was brought to my attention because appeals got rekt recently. Well, I guess that concludes things. GW legal team wins again, not even florida man can win

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: December 15, 2017, 01:19:10 am »

~drunk
diidi someone say..
GENESTEalERZ

GREetingS AMbihianiAn FRiEND
hehehehehehehehheeheheheheheheeehehehehhhhehehehehe

i want to boop the snoot
i must
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 824