Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4739 4740 [4741] 4742 4743 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13411872 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71100 on: March 01, 2015, 10:01:28 pm »

I'm beginning to think that the blunt material yield/fracture details in DF may be fundamentally flawed.

Blunt weapons should be more effective on armor than they currently are, if I'm correct in this.

On impact, "projectiles apply a Hertzian contact stress at the point of impact to a solid body, with compression stresses under the point, but with bending loads a short distance away." This means that IMPACT_YIELD, IMPACT_FRACTURE and IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD should be based on COMPRESSIVE/BENDING values for the former two (whichever's smaller) and COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD for the latter. As it is now, all values are equal to the COMPRESSIVE values, which are all exactly 3.5 times the BENDING value.

So that's interesting.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #71101 on: March 01, 2015, 10:03:38 pm »

Like, as in, an actual Ninja. Shadow Warriors and shit.
I specifically remember Complete Adventurer ninja. There was also the swordsage, which contained tips for playing it like a ninja, and the monk, which was supposed to be like a ninja but was too crappy to pull it off. One of my games has someone playing a "rokugan ninja", there's a prestige class called "Shadow Sun Ninja", and I think there's a few more that I missed. Pathfinder also has a specific ninja class, but that's Paizo territory.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71102 on: March 01, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure they also carried over the ninja in Oriental Adventures when they released it for 3e. But nobody uses OA so we can't know for certain if it's actually in there or not.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #71103 on: March 01, 2015, 10:34:57 pm »

Everyone know that ninja exists to be used in steampunk settings.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71104 on: March 01, 2015, 10:39:43 pm »

Nonono, ninja exist to wear bright red, carry bright red guitars, be easily identified by the color of their headbands, hold their swords backwards, claim to be ninja and then never engage in any covert ops, and/or use weeaboo fightan magic. Steampunk optional.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71105 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:48 pm »

Nonono, ninja exist to wear bright red, carry bright red guitars, be easily identified by the color of their headbands, hold their swords backwards, claim to be ninja and then never engage in any covert ops, and/or use weeaboo fightan magic. Steampunk optional.
Those sound like Ninja Bards.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #71106 on: March 01, 2015, 10:47:36 pm »

Like, as in, an actual Ninja. Shadow Warriors and shit.

Well, if you wanted an actual historical type ninja you'd simply want a multiclass warrior/expert-with-rogue-skills
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71107 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:13 pm »

Those sound like Ninja Bards.
I'd totes be willing to play a ninja bard so long as no one else asked how the magitech electric guitar ended up in a low-fantasy setting, nor how I managed to attach an at-will ventriloquism spell to it.

It's still stealth if the entire castle had their ears blown out, damnit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71108 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:55 pm »

Bards have almost rogue-level skills, might I add. Playing a ninjabard would be entirely possible, even in core, without multiclassing.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #71109 on: March 01, 2015, 11:00:59 pm »

It's still stealth if the entire castle had their ears blown out, damnit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #71110 on: March 01, 2015, 11:24:06 pm »

I'm beginning to think that the blunt material yield/fracture details in DF may be fundamentally flawed.

Blunt weapons should be more effective on armor than they currently are, if I'm correct in this.

On impact, "projectiles apply a Hertzian contact stress at the point of impact to a solid body, with compression stresses under the point, but with bending loads a short distance away." This means that IMPACT_YIELD, IMPACT_FRACTURE and IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD should be based on COMPRESSIVE/BENDING values for the former two (whichever's smaller) and COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD for the latter. As it is now, all values are equal to the COMPRESSIVE values, which are all exactly 3.5 times the BENDING value.

So that's interesting.
Huh. So, could the raw files for the metals be changed to better simulate this or does it require fiddling with the hardcoded calculations for combat? Wonder how Toady would react if you messaged him about it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71111 on: March 01, 2015, 11:46:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure they also carried over the ninja in Oriental Adventures when they released it for 3e. But nobody uses OA so we can't know for certain if it's actually in there or not.

I had a 1st ed. version of OA & from memory you picked a 2nd class as a cover identity. No longer have it to check though.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71112 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:24 am »

I should mention that none of these ninjas compare to deadEarth's Mad Whack Voodoo Ninja.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71113 on: March 02, 2015, 12:48:13 am »

I can recall reading on the Ninja base class.
They had an ability where they could turn invisible as a swift action (basically a free action, with limit of once per round)
They also gained "sudden strike" which worked exactly like sneak attack, only doesn't activate on flanking, and they got enough of a bonus to jump checks to leap over buildings.

Plus a few dozen other overpowered abilities. I think they could phase shift before level 20.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71114 on: March 02, 2015, 12:49:32 am »

Plus a few dozen other overpowered abilities.

What, a non caster being able to do ridiculous stuff? How unbalanced.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 4739 4740 [4741] 4742 4743 ... 10987