Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566116 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »

The implementation of moving fortress pieces, no matter how small, means that sooner or later someone is going to create an entirely mobile battle fortress. And everyone is going to compete to be that 'someone' first :P

This looks amazing, Toady! And I haven't donated in a few months, so this seems an appropriate reminder to support my local toad.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2010, 02:15:41 pm »

One thing I wish we had was some sort of timeline, or at least some "Coming Soon" indicators. Given the scope and unordered nature of this list, something being on here could mean, "it'll happen in a few years" or "after I'm done with the current spate of bug fixes."
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2010, 02:20:09 pm »

From the Somthing Awful forums (word filter corrected)
Quote from: Vox Nihili
On another note, I was a little disappointed with the new dev notes... Hopefully he starts at the bottom of the huge list he made. I love adventure mode for looking through old community forts, but I think improved sieges for fortress mode should be of slightly higher priority than enabling your adventurer mode guy to make a fucking quern.
What!? It's like he didn't even read the list, or take time to comprehend it, because the very last thing on that list is:
Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework

Yes, lets start at the END of the list, the last item of which references something that's halfway through the list and is required for that last item to function properly. ::) Keep going with the progress as YOU have planned, Toady, and ignore the people who try to re-order things from their own personal feelings and not the reality of the situation at hand.

[Edit - Just a small, perfect example of why you should stick to your plan that i felt needed to be posted.]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:23:33 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 02:21:42 pm »

When stone fall traps are going to actually be stones falling from a level above, will catapults at the same time also be changed to they actually fire stones in arches and can hit multiple Z-levels? Also on the topic of siege weapons, are there plans for aimed/diagonal shots?

In fact, could it be made such that any object falling would be subject to physical forces like gravity and air friction, and cause an impact when it hits something? I want to drop anvils!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »

As someone who really cares about the aesthetics of my forts, I really do have my concerns for digging invaders. I don't mind the challenge of it, but my enthusiasm for fort building will diminish if every fort is destined to look a mountain of swiss cheese within 10 game years.

Seeing evidence of a digging invasion or two is fine, that just adds to the story of the fort, but I don't want to completely lose control of how the fort looks. If digging invasions are needed, it might be good to wait until we can prevent such invasions by sending armies to meet such forces in the field or in the underworld. Either that or give us the ability to repair lost natural stone. The black fog of war that exists in unmined areas really contrasts well with forts. I would hate to lose that.

Also, I wanna say that I don't want every fort to have to meet it's demise, as some people seem to favor. Ideally I would like to leave my fort in an automated state and go build new forts. I wanna revive dying civilizations and change the balance of power in the world. Then I wanna join other civilizations and tear down the one I rescued from destruction. And in between forts I wanna watch them take part in history and visit them in adventure mode. And stuff.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 02:33:10 pm »

As someone who really cares about the aesthetics of my forts, I really do have my concerns for digging invaders. I don't mind the challenge of it, but my enthusiasm for fort building will diminish if every fort is destined to look a mountain of swiss cheese within 10 game years.

Seeing evidence of a digging invasion or two is fine, that just adds to the story of the fort, but I don't want to completely lose control of how the fort looks. If digging invasions are needed, it might be good to wait until we can prevent such invasions by sending armies to meet such forces in the field or in the underworld. Either that or give us the ability to repair lost natural stone. The black fog of war that exists in unmined areas really contrasts well with forts. I would hate to lose that.

Agreed - I will be happy if 'digging creatures' becomes an option in d_init rather than a like-it-or-not change, though.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »

Agreed - I will be happy if 'digging creatures' becomes an option in d_init rather than a like-it-or-not change, though.

Didn't the dev page say it will be a init option?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2010, 02:39:02 pm »

[Sappers and swiss cheese, restoring natural stone]
Being able to make a perfect, natural stone wall WITHOUT magma casting obsidian would be a glorious addition however unrealistic it may be. Even when you can have several mechanical solutions to stop sappers from undermining your efforts, being able to fix something important when they DO tunnel in would be wonderful... Hmm.

Will enemies with picks and mining skill intentionally deface engravings (they dislike/hate) to try to depress/anger the dwarves?
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 02:47:18 pm »

The list is quite impressive to me and I'm looking forward to how things develop. I do have a fun question based on another forum where I brought this up so hopfully you can answer this:

Since we are talking about making stone be able to roll when come off of a ramp,could it be possible to say make a really long path ramp that the stone can roll down into a long hallway and then roll down that hallway crushing whatever is in it's way? Ala Indiana Jones style?

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:39 pm »

Ohh! A new thread! I can start following this again!

WILL it be theoretically possible to make a for that actually inches it's entire bulk acro0s the map?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2010, 03:06:36 pm »

The list is quite impressive to me and I'm looking forward to how things develop. I do have a fun question based on another forum where I brought this up so hopfully you can answer this:

Since we are talking about making stone be able to roll when come off of a ramp,could it be possible to say make a really long path ramp that the stone can roll down into a long hallway and then roll down that hallway crushing whatever is in it's way? Ala Indiana Jones style?
I would think the answer is yes, since the idea of a rolling boulder trap was basically invented by the Indiana Jones movies.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2010, 03:16:21 pm »

[Sappers and swiss cheese, restoring natural stone]
Being able to make a perfect, natural stone wall WITHOUT magma casting obsidian would be a glorious addition however unrealistic it may be. Even when you can have several mechanical solutions to stop sappers from undermining your efforts, being able to fix something important when they DO tunnel in would be wonderful... Hmm.

Will enemies with picks and mining skill intentionally deface engravings (they dislike/hate) to try to depress/anger the dwarves?

I'd hate to see magma casting become obsolete. Rather than creating natural stone, maybe it would be better to allow it to be repaired somehow..

Perhaps such tunnels could be inherently unstable such that they collapse in a couple of years, basically erasing themselves. With a type of collapse that doesn't affect whats above. That way, you have the challenge of diggers but without leaving ugly scars on your fort. 

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »

Didn't the dev page say it will be a init option?
Not explicitely, but since Toady stresses that digging invaders (and digging animals once implemented?) will be optional, it's pretty much implied to be an init option. Might become a world gen option, though, as well.

Ohh! A new thread! I can start following this again!

WILL it be theoretically possible to make a for that actually inches it's entire bulk acro0s the map?
Thinking of it, the wandering fortress ideas could lead to some ... fun.
Urist McHauler cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Stockpile wandered off.
Urist McDoctor cancels Surgery: Fortress abducted patient.
Urist McWarrior cancels Individual Combat Training: Got lost off-map.

(Yeah, I know, such a mobile fortress would be restricted to on-map movement. :P )
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2010, 03:31:04 pm »

From what I was reading the Night Creatures seem to be more then one thing.

There will be human-like (or at least enough to sneak around) ones.

Also finally a Future of the fortress back up!

I am trying to think of good benefits of guilds that don't involve non-sense benefits. For the most part I thought of providing equipment for dwarves and giving choice selection of individuals for your fort (Plus extra soldiers).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:43:02 pm by Neonivek »

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2010, 03:57:50 pm »

(Yeah, I know, such a mobile fortress would be restricted to on-map movement. :P )

That wouldn't be a problem... if you could change the map.
I think it might be pretty easy to add a system where you can add and subtract entire world tiles from your map during fortress mode. You know, change a 3x3 map into a 3x4 - then back to a 3x3, moving forward like an inchworm.

Why should this option only be limited to the initial embark? (To answer my own question, there might be issues with sealing off any subtracted world tiles so that your dwarves don't go there anymore)

There have been a number of times where I wish I had added just one more row of tiles during embark, so that I could, for example, dig further into the mountains in search of adamantine.

Maybe I should go suggest this on the suggestions forum.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:03:51 pm by Tehran »
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 342