Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678281 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1485 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:27 pm »

So any future word on Victoria 3?
Probably never happening. The financial bottom line didn't really work out well for the first two.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1486 on: April 18, 2016, 10:58:53 pm »

Wasn't that more because of the DLC thing rather than it not selling enough?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: April 18, 2016, 11:14:18 pm »

Wasn't that more because of the DLC thing rather than it not selling enough?
As far as I know, it didn't even compare well to games running the old DLC model, though Vicky 2 did make a profit.  The poor sales of Vicky 1 in particular were the biggest reason why Vicky 2 was so difficult to get out.  Johan had to personally go to bat for the game, leading to the infamous head-shaving bet by...Frederik, I think it was. 

That said, if there is going to be a Vicky 3, the time is starting to approach.  Any talk about it was deferred until after HOI4 was released, and while both the Stellaris and HOI teams will be busy for a while on post-release patching and initial DLC, they'll likely start spooling off resources to new projects in months to come. 

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: April 18, 2016, 11:22:42 pm »

That said, if there is going to be a Vicky 3, the time is starting to approach.  Any talk about it was deferred until after HOI4 was released, and while both the Stellaris and HOI teams will be busy for a while on post-release patching and initial DLC, they'll likely start spooling off resources to new projects in months to come.
Post-release stuff isn't necessarily very closely related to the early development stuff that a new game takes. Making massive engine adjustents for a game in a different paradigm isn't like making small gameplay adjustments and bugfixes.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: April 18, 2016, 11:24:12 pm »

I just want a massive game linking CK2 to EU4 to Vicky 3 to HOI4. That would be great.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: April 18, 2016, 11:52:03 pm »

Post-release stuff isn't necessarily very closely related to the early development stuff that a new game takes. Making massive engine adjustents for a game in a different paradigm isn't like making small gameplay adjustments and bugfixes.
Yes, which is why I suggest the time is approaching with the games' release in upcoming months rather than something like a year or more from release, but I don't believe the present HOI4 and Stellaris teams will immediately be transferred out en masse to work on a new project (and presumably be replaced by the "DLC/patch" teams presently working on EU4 and CK2).  Rather, as noted, they'll likely start spooling off resources from those teams a bit at a time, as the need draws down.  That is, coders, artists, and the like will get transferred out of those teams into a new game's team as both teams are gradually pared down to the resources necessary for maintenance and DLC development instead of core game development.  Well, I'm no developer, either, so that's just my assumption.  I could be wrong; they could take a hacksaw to the teams the second they kick the games out the door or disband them entirely to create an all-new "DLC team" for each.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:54:48 pm by Culise »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: April 19, 2016, 12:35:30 am »

Don't forget linking HOI4 to Stellaris, I know you all want to play Space Hitler. Alternatively Space Stalin with Interstellar Mustache.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: April 19, 2016, 10:05:50 am »

Don't forget linking HOI4 to Stellaris, I know you all want to play Space Hitler. Alternatively Space Stalin with Interstellar Mustache.
So... the mythical and very dead East vs West?

...I hope they do a Cold War DLC further down the road for HoI
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: April 19, 2016, 10:50:17 am »

So... the mythical and very dead East vs West?

...I hope they do a Cold War DLC further down the road for HoI

The Cold War needs full game treatment, an East vs. West-like or HoI5.

You can't just add 50 years to the timeline of a 10-year game through a DLC.

And a bridge between a planet-scale game and a galaxy-scale one just isn't possible beyond modelling the player's starting species after the previous game's dominant superpower. Which means little more than an emblem and a couple of traits. That can easily be done manually.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 19, 2016, 11:26:09 am »

Ya, I was supes excited for East vs West. Well... I guess Space America yelling at Space Russia to remove Space Nukes from Space Cuba is fun too.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 19, 2016, 11:32:01 am »

Ya, I was supes excited for East vs West. Well... I guess Space America yelling at Space Russia to remove Space Nukes from Space Cuba is fun too.

Thanks for deciding my first Stellaris civ, totally being Space Cuba.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 19, 2016, 12:47:16 pm »

Space Cuba would be so fun. Damn... I might try that out too.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 19, 2016, 08:00:57 pm »

That hasn't stopped mods from adding a theoretical 8000 years to EU4 though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 19, 2016, 08:58:32 pm »

That hasn't stopped mods from adding a theoretical 8000 years to EU4 though.

Come on: that's just tweaking the end year. It's an entirely different ball game to actually populate those years with content comparable to what's contained in the vanilla timeframe.

There's some HoI2 and derivatives mods which extend the game into the Cold War with content to match (New World Order comes to mind), but they took years to develop. No single official DLC could come close. At best it'd be a series of expansions, but again, it's better to just dedicate a separate game to the new focus.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:29 pm »

Yes, which is why I suggest the time is approaching with the games' release in upcoming months rather than something like a year or more from release, but I don't believe the present HOI4 and Stellaris teams will immediately be transferred out en masse to work on a new project (and presumably be replaced by the "DLC/patch" teams presently working on EU4 and CK2).  Rather, as noted, they'll likely start spooling off resources from those teams a bit at a time, as the need draws down.
I don't disagree with the notion that there aren't massive "teams" which get swapped around, that much is definitely correct. Rather, I suspect that the engine coders have ALREADY been transferred. What would they still be doing on Stellaris or HoI at this point?

I was excited about the concept of EvW, but at no point was there really much development news that lent credibility to the notion that it would be a good game. That was built entirely on hope and on lack of evidence to the contrary – and as the latter was destroyed, so too did the former give way.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 632