Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678260 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2040 on: May 12, 2016, 09:03:32 pm »

anyone know how to delete the stupid double sol that spawns. i really really hate that bug its so immersion breaking. their is no reason that one should have gotten through.
Are you starting in Sol and then another Sol spawns, or something? I haven't seen it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 12, 2016, 09:18:03 pm »

yes apparently its supper common. i just want the system gone so i can stop having my narrative messed up. really stupid bug that.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »

Ugh, I'm done with the game for now (even though I've played 44 hours). What sent me over the edge was FINALLY finishing the steps for the Cybrex quest which took me soooo many hours, only for it to bug out after I found a certain system. Same with the secret galactic invasion event, game bugs out so you can't bombard their planets to get rid of the infestation, making any territory they take invincible... Which is totally game breaking if you're playing ironman because the only workaround is console commands. WTF Paradox? Why is the end-game so ridiculously buggy when you had years to work on this game.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 13, 2016, 12:50:54 am »

Frontier outposts in sectors cost no upkeep, but that is a bug/exploit that will be fixed in a patch. I think the cap on three outposts is pretty damn low though as often you have problems combining your areas of space without spamming outposts. Likewise observation outposts in sectors not working properly are a bug as well.

Regarding bugs, yeah, plenty of annoying ones, but they get fixed, that is the good thing about paradox. At least the game is stable and I've only noticed buggy event chains (plus those two things mentioned above), game itself works fine.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:54:42 am by Majestic7 »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 13, 2016, 12:57:04 am »

Yeah... I love painting the map but I have to make my peace with the fact that my empire is not going to be 100% connected 100% of the time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2045 on: May 13, 2016, 01:01:23 am »

Would be nice if borders would expand further when they can link up with your other borders
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 13, 2016, 01:03:59 am »

They already do to a certain extent.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 13, 2016, 01:05:43 am »

Frontier outposts in sectors cost no upkeep, but that is a bug/exploit that will be fixed in a patch. I think the cap on three outposts is pretty damn low though as often you have problems combining your areas of space without spamming outposts. Likewise observation outposts in sectors not working properly are a bug as well.

Regarding bugs, yeah, plenty of annoying ones, but they get fixed, that is the good thing about paradox. At least the game is stable and I've only noticed buggy event chains (plus those two things mentioned above), game itself works fine.

I used to think the same thing about Frontier Outposts. It was either waste one of my 5-7 precious colony slots grabbing some useful resources or take the 2 Influence hit to build a outpost, neither of which seemed worth it. Then I realized I could just throw all my developed planets into a sector with a 75% tax and use the freed up colony slots to start another wave of land grabs. Now I barely use Frontier outposts unless I need to grab an area of space that has no habitable planets.

Word to the wise though, make sure the planets you're adding to sectors are mostly developed. The sector management AI is baaaaaad and will not be able to handle growing a new colony well.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 13, 2016, 01:10:08 am »

And so the Technocracy of Igria is slowly getting back to it's former power avoiding the Enclave. The economy has returned to normal and the fleet wasn't cut much except for a few corvettes. Also my scientist got insight into a couple of advanced tech from the battlecruiser debris.

Spoiler: Actual state (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Before the Eviction (click to show/hide)

The diplomatic relation with the Cithin Imperum are worsening each day. Add the fact that there's a patch of good worlds to colonize beyond their lone world on the left so war is expect in a couple of years. On the main galactic arm the Bos'Pachtux Imperium are expanding on my right.

On the leadership side, since the assassination of my director after the war, the Directorate was hold by a string of old geezers who died of old age soon after being elect. The position is now being held by a woman in her fifties with a growth agenda and her traits are Destroyer Focus and Nervous. So I'll have some stability in rulership, a good growth rate to get back my pop, discount on destroyers which are my biggest ship, but my fleet is gut by 20%... 

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 13, 2016, 01:12:24 am »

Frontier outposts are mainly for taking dibs on areas of space.  Unless there are some damn good resources its generally not a good idea to build them JUST to mine, you should deny something important to your rivals in the process.

Remember, you can colonize AND drop frontier outposts at the same time; they take mostly different resources.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 13, 2016, 01:19:43 am »

I miss some stuff from distant worlds : proper boarding, arcane weapons like death ray or gun shooting black holes to suck enemy fleets in, finding unfinished deathstar, proper carriers( not with 8 range bombers) and more versatile ship designer in generally.
However, stellaris is still digital drug, and quite probably it will have all mentioned above stuff later.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 13, 2016, 01:51:31 am »

I used to think the same thing about Frontier Outposts. It was either waste one of my 5-7 precious colony slots grabbing some useful resources or take the 2 Influence hit to build a outpost, neither of which seemed worth it. Then I realized I could just throw all my developed planets into a sector with a 75% tax and use the freed up colony slots to start another wave of land grabs. Now I barely use Frontier outposts unless I need to grab an area of space that has no habitable planets.

You are tanking your research. Research costs increase with empire size, so having lots of undeveloped planets is baaaaaad. Especially so if they are planets with no research potential whatsoever.

I kind of think they made frontier posts expensive and with a hard limit on purpose to push us towards warfare, though, both for resource systems, pre-ftl civs and better borders.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 13, 2016, 02:13:36 am »

Well that wasn't too fun.
I got the worst neighbors. While they weren't all purge-all-life behaviors, they were almost all xenophobes and they all hated me for many reasons. As I'm building up a fleet to vassalize one of the more hostile empires, I get a notification.
They had formed a federation. Every single empire surrounding my territory had formed a federation. And they all hated me.

It was only a couple months until the declaration of war. I would have been able to handle any one of them at any one time. Maybe even a couple at the same time from the same direction, but this was hell.
They all had warp and wormhole tech and completely surrounded me. My primary fleet was about 12k in power and was stationed near the territory of one of the weaker ones (and also was nearby the strongest enemy.)
The problem was the, well, geography? I had expanded in mostly one direction. One of the more moderate-sized empires was actually right next to my Capital, and had warp. I had planned on merging my fleets to have two primary fleets for defending the capital and attacking the upper front. That was probably my mistake.

So as I said, I had only expanded in one direction. Far out in the fringes of my territory, were the most powerful and weakest empires right next to each other. Adjacent to my capital, were two moderate sized empires. I had planned on using my main fleet to completely disable the weakest empire while using the secondary fleet to fend off attacks on my Capital.

The war started off well. I annihilated one of the empire's fleets in a single blow and had disabled most of their starbases. As I was preparing to start the invasion of one of their planets, the fleet from the strongest empire arrived - 20k power. I temporarily withdrew to merge more fleets into my main fleet.

After I withdrew, the empires next to my Capital started warping in fleets both at my Capital and at the bottom side of my fringe territory. Meaning I was effectively fighting a three front war. I decided to re-adapt my strategy. The secondary fleet would stay at the Capital while my primary fleet would split up to harass enemy minor fleets, troop transports, and infrastructure. Unfortunately this wasn't enough as the enemy gradually took my fringe worlds and started hammering at my Capital.

One particular battle at my Capital system left the secondary fleet crippled. I was forced to regroup my entire navy at my homeworld, hoping to at least hold out while I constructed some new ships. I left some minor fleets outside to continue harassing and take in the reinforcements from the remaining fringe starports. My empire ended when they ended up at my Homeworld with a fleet x2 the power of my Homeworld defense force.

You know, it's annoying to lose, but it is kind of similar to DF in the losing is fun category.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 13, 2016, 02:20:16 am »

Well, I think I'm done with this game. It was fun, but it was running very slow, and it turns out being repugnant xenophobes means you'll be bogged down in pointless wars almost all the time, even when you have a great big navy to try to dissuade people. And blobbing cuts research down at like 20% faster a rate than it should according to my personal balance preferences, which add up when you get big.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 13, 2016, 02:54:24 am »

You are tanking your research. Research costs increase with empire size, so having lots of undeveloped planets is baaaaaad. Especially so if they are planets with no research potential whatsoever.

I kind of think they made frontier posts expensive and with a hard limit on purpose to push us towards warfare, though, both for resource systems, pre-ftl civs and better borders.

Wha...are you serious? This is why stuff is taking 15-25k to research, and why tiny empires have the same (if not superior) tech level than me?
This simple, single piece of information just made me facepalm with the force of a thousand research points spent in researching dumb stuff...
Good thing their debris reveal me some of the things I'm behind..  :P
(I still feel insanely stupid now)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 632