Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 435598 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1980 on: January 17, 2016, 06:30:28 pm »

Sure, but I'm not sticking you in a bunker. You can die with the rest of us when the fort gets nearly wiped out again.

Does anyone know where we can mine out more hematite? I know we have it on the map and I need steel.
There was some on the weird floor under smuntu's office. A large set of corridor wirh random doors go around most of the map. I've dug out the exposed veins but digging more holes into the gisnt squares nay reveal more. Also stumbled upon a few veins along the caravan path leadibg to the bottom. Some may still be available.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: January 17, 2016, 08:11:12 pm »

Ah, thanks. And I've started digging the checkerboard. Right now I'm waiting for the grates and floodgates to get made so I can continue.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: January 18, 2016, 08:11:38 pm »

I've placed the grates and dug a tunnel between the checkerboard and almost to the HFS. I've placed all the floodgates and dug all the tunnels. Now all I need to do is hook up the levers, stick everything in the right order, break upon the seals on everything, unleash hell, and let the mechanism do its job.

Also, like six FBs have arrived and are either hanging around or have killed each other. Including one that left old Ayanu, that one fire-breathing bird in Astville, blind. Someone might try sending a champion to go kill it. It is midwinter.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: January 21, 2016, 08:41:45 pm »

here is save

see notes on checker controls (f5)

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11682

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:03 am »

That was astonishingly fast for a turn in this godsforsaken hellhole.  Something REALLY bad must be coming.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:46 am »

And so Doomforests moves inexorably forwards to its inevitable ... success? Doom? Takeover of the world with various forgotten things? Anyway, anyone seen Flame recently?
We now have:
exodius1
TheFlame52
jwoodward48df
Kevral
TechnoXan?
Me (Sacasco)
Gwolfski
Sanctume
Taupe
Drazoth
PsychoAngel

Oh Armok, when did I volunteer my name in this doom list? 

So it's looking I will have 5 chances to save my sanity when BAD happens sooner than my turn!
That was astonishingly fast for a turn in this godsforsaken hellhole.  Something REALLY bad must be coming.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: January 22, 2016, 10:52:21 am »

Whoo! New turn list! I would PM jwoodward48df, but I don't actually know how...
exodius1
TheFlame52

jwoodward48df
Kevral
TechnoXan?
Me (Sacasco)
Gwolfski
Sanctume
Taupe
Drazoth
PsychoAngel

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: January 22, 2016, 11:03:52 am »

Whoo! New turn list! I would PM jwoodward48df, but I don't actually know how...

Find where he posted, you can click on his profile link on the left side of the post.  There may even be a link to PM from there too.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 22, 2016, 11:34:37 am »

Ah, thank you. I've now done so.

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 22, 2016, 11:21:29 pm »

That was rather quick Flame.  Will there be any RP for your turn?
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 23, 2016, 10:12:31 am »

Nah. I've gotten bored of Dwarf Fortress, which is traditional about 3-4 updates after a new version. I'll be back when the last update comes out.

By the way, to open hell, just dig an up stair at the bottom of the shaft. And who keeps making metal bar stockpiles!? They interfere with production chains and we have a quantum stockpile for them already!

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 23, 2016, 12:21:30 pm »

jwoodward48df has requested to be put down a turn, so I'll PM Kevral and jwoodward48df will be after them.

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 24, 2016, 04:00:32 am »

Holy Armok, he made a checkerboard. What in the world has fallen into my lap?

Excuse slight offset of posts, as playing from EU at present. Should get started tomorrow or later today if all pans out.

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: January 25, 2016, 08:20:11 am »

So here I was, minding my own business (mostly doing bugger all) when I was hailed by a messenger from the overseer. Great, a job for me! Apparently it seems that my avoidance of work was noticed but..

You what? You want ME? What do you think I know about running a fort?! Well you can tell that damn overseer that she's the stupidest...

Sometime later

Well turns out that shouting didn't help neither. So instead of shirking, I've now actually got to pay attention around here. Thankfully I know a few of the routes around here, so let's have a look around.

Stocks first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beer is good at least - there's no riot on my hands any time soon. Money is good. Apparently we're doing well economically. The military looks decent - or as decent as one can be when up to ones waist in vomit all day. Things look pretty damn stable. Nothing could possibly go wrong from here.

Entrance hall looks about normal as can be, if a bit bloody disorganised. Soldiers down there training away hard in a pool full of vomit. Presenting reason one why I was absent when the call to arms went out. Keep up the good work. No it's not fair, but get on with it. I hear there's some story about that hat..

Apparently, we're good on coffins. Yep. Rough math says that's about 600 coffins, almost four times as many as we have dwarves. I hope someone didn't know something terrible about the future that I don't.. (I did always wonder why 'Doomforests')

A bit hard to see in here as its all sealed up but... why in Armok's name do we have a gold-encrusted throne room to cater to a... goblin bowman? Step one on this week's agenda: Butcher the greenskin and instate the monarch in here. That'll stop her complaining about not having a throne room.

A beautiful, if small drinking hall. Also containing three entirely unmarked levers. I must have been avoiding work that day when we told everyone what they did.

I also approve of this beautiful semblance of dwarven architecture. A room held supported over a pit of magma. Who couldn't appreciate the elegance in that? Also more unmarked levers, so I'll be appreciating that one from a distance if you don't mind.

Four more levers, two of which shock me by being clearly labelled! One labels itself by being for the East Trade Gate, which I might think about using. The other is marked 'Total Safety Project', a name that bodes anything but.

And lastly, it seems there are four forgotten beasts roaming the halls. In one case, quite literally. That visible beast there is just a skeleton, but there's another under that cloud of miasma. The others seem to be stalking the watery depths.

Question is though, what do I do with this place? Establish my own mark here? I mean, the place is running fine enough on its own, so perhaps there's some side room for creativity? There's a huge axle running up about 30 floors from magma to the surface going precisely no-where. Was someone going to wind-power a pump? Such limited scope! Perhaps we can improve on that?

Really, everything looks too stable! I was expecting... well, a little more Doom? This is all just looking around prior to unpausing, getting acquainted. There's a lot of chaos with some of the passages, but nothing too bad.

The graphics set seems a bit funky though. Flame mentioned a problem with it, maybe it's not fully cleared up.

Also, no idea what version to run this under. Currently reading it under 40_24 and it seems fine.

Going to get going and see what happens! Wish me luck :)

Edit: 13 fps makes me sad
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:31:23 am by Kevral »

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 25, 2016, 10:44:01 am »

Hang on, did you just say kill Smunstu? I'm sure Taupe will have a word or two to say about that, and I for one would not recommend it. What resides in that room is a valuable, nay, irreplaceable part of our fort's history. To kill Smunstu would be a great crime against the heritage of future generations.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 144