Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1567260 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1710 on: November 04, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »

I am imagining that weapon skill increases the number and quality of good opportunities you get, while striker is what handles damage etc. and dodge helps reduce opportunities.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 04, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

Possibly. I would imagine that weapon skill just makes you straight up more likely to hit, regardless of opportunities, though, since that sounds simplest to implement. Am I correct in this assumption?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 04, 2010, 05:48:35 pm »

I am imagining that weapon skill increases the number and quality of good opportunities you get, while striker is what handles damage etc. and dodge helps reduce opportunities.

Pretty sure "Striker" is the weapon skill for punching.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:19 pm »

smacking a guy in the head when you want to are cool but any additions only excite me in so much as they lead to the caravan arc being closer.
The big implication is that this will also apply to fortress mode - beating up an unconscious creature for months only to starve to death first will be a thing of the past.

Woah. So can we give our military instructions like "attack head first if possible" ?
More like, they'll attack the head if they get a good shot at it. Directly ordering combat is not something slated for Dwarf Mode, at least in the near future.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:28 pm »

"EVERYONE! THE HYDRA'S THIRD LEFT RIB IS THE WEAK POINT! CONCENTRATE FIRE ON MY MARK!"

Dwarf Picard!

HIT ITS WEAK POINT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1715 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »

Possibly. I would imagine that weapon skill just makes you straight up more likely to hit, regardless of opportunities, though, since that sounds simplest to implement. Am I correct in this assumption?

From the details we've heard, and the raw files; I doubt that simplicity is a safe assumption.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 05, 2010, 12:38:37 am »

Yes, those kinds of attacks are much more likely to be fatal than you might think.

Not that it matters with the current civilizations all being a hive mind which will immediately all start killing you the second you steal a sock.

[sarcasm]Yes, it is a pity DF is no longer in development and things never change.[/sarcasm]

I know you'll be able to do it eventually (non-fatal attacks are mentioned in the dev blog), just not "soon".

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:22 am »

Toady_One has withdrawn from society...

So when is this legendary update coming out?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1718 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:46 am »

Toady_One has withdrawn from society...

So when is this legendary update coming out?
Today, tomorrow, sometime soon. He said he was done with new stuff and was just cleaning it up for release.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:29 am »

Yeah, thats what I thought.  Been watching for more info.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 05, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »

Toady attempted for an October release and now that it isn't halloween and he wasn't ready he seemingly decided that he is in no rush to release the next version.

Which frankly I agree. He is in no rush.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1721 on: November 05, 2010, 02:46:45 pm »

I'd still like to get my hands on the current version, bugs or not, just to play with that aimed attack and new adventure stuff. As someone who pretty much just plays adventure mode I've been waiting for a LONG time for it to be improved upon.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 05, 2010, 02:58:54 pm »

Toady is more likely sleeping right now, and won't be up for at least four hours. I wouldn't bet on a release today.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1723 on: November 05, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »

Toady is more likely sleeping right now, and won't be up for at least four hours. I wouldn't bet on a release today.
Yeah, he said (in one of the earlier df talks) that he gets up some time after noon, like 2-4 or something. Oh well, I guess I'll have to actually go do the work I should be doing.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 05, 2010, 03:18:50 pm »

Well, he did do a few bugfixes quite recently, which does point to a more imminent release, so I imagine a weekend release is in the cards.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 342