Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 842562 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7920 on: April 23, 2020, 08:21:22 am »

Cursed magic ranged weapon. After first being fired, the wielder is rendered permanently blind unless cured with a Remove Blindness or Remove Curse spell. Their sight returns when the weapon is loaded with ammunition, but from the perspective of the ammunition instead. Once an attack is resolved or if the weapon's ammunition is removed from contact with the weapon, their blindness returns.
If you manage to uncurse the ranged weapon, you can voluntarily take the perspective of the bolt while firing it, which can be useful for reconnaissance especially if no one in the party can cast Find Familiar.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:02:26 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: April 23, 2020, 08:28:14 am »

The melee weapon sounds like the DF adventurer mode technique of hitting people with a coffin, then putting all your victim's corpses inside of it so that it becomes heavier and does more damage. So pure awesome and not a curse at all.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: April 23, 2020, 09:00:57 am »

The melee weapon sounds like the DF adventurer mode technique of hitting people with a coffin, then putting all your victim's corpses inside of it so that it becomes heavier and does more damage. So pure awesome and not a curse at all.
Except simply being heavier is not a good thing for your weapon in DnD, unlike DF.
Now, if when it got heavier, it got more damage dice, THAT would be awesome.
As it is, they'll eventually become way over encumbered if they held it and won't even be able to drag it around, plus they can't put the weapon down. Imagine if you couldn't put something that weighs 9 pounds down and it was always attached to your hand.
A dagger or whatever your rogue or other Dex-based melee warrior likes would be a good way to make this hit them hard, since they'll be encumbered quicker. Then again, a two-handed weapon would prevent the use of two hands.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:03:34 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: April 23, 2020, 09:15:21 am »

Wouldn't it be more fun if it dealt more damage, though? Don't tell me that a straight sword which weighs as much as a fully grown large half-orc wouldn't do some real damage if you were strong enough to use it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:16:52 am by Egan_BW »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: April 23, 2020, 09:25:51 am »

I actually like that idea for a separate custom magic item!

Scythe of Heavy Deeds

This +1 scythe always deals a base of 2d4 damage and weighs 10 lbs, even when sized for larger or smaller creatures, but grows heavier with the burden of use. Each time the scythe strikes a killing blow against a living creature with an intelligence score of 3 or greater, the scythe's weight increases by 1 lb. Every 5 lbs of additional weight increases the damage dice of the weapon by an additional 1d4 damage. If the scythe remains unused for more than 24 hours, the weight resets, and the additional damage dice are lost.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:48 am »

Wouldn't it be more fun if it dealt more damage, though? Don't tell me that a straight sword which weighs as much as a fully grown large half-orc wouldn't do some real damage if you were strong enough to use it.
But how strong should you have to be able to wield that?
That means just by the weapon alone you are encumbered with 20 strength.
I don't think a 20 strength character would be able to swing it fast enough to hit easily, so maybe it takes two attacks to use and hits at disadvantage?

Scythe of Heavy Deeds

This +1 scythe always deals a base of 2d4 damage and weighs 10 lbs, even when sized for larger or smaller creatures, but grows heavier with the burden of use. Each time the scythe strikes a killing blow against a living creature with an intelligence score of 3 or greater, the scythe's weight increases by 1 lb. Every 5 lbs of additional weight increases the damage dice of the weapon by an additional 1d4 damage. If the scythe remains unused for more than 24 hours, the weight resets, and the additional damage dice are lost.

There should probably be a max damage, or your player could eventually do 75d4 damage just so long as it's used in battle once a day. As stated, it doesn't even need to kill anything during that time, so spar once a day, and in times of war get a ridiculous amount of damage.
Admittedly, it gets unusable at 301 pounds so you have to let it reset then.

EDIT:I just watched the first episodes of Saga of Tanya the Evil.
How about a cursed weapon that attaches to their hand that does 0 damage unless they pray to whichever God they and their allies least like?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 09:46:54 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: April 23, 2020, 10:01:12 am »

Cursed magic ranged weapon. After first being fired, the wielder is rendered permanently blind unless cured with a Remove Blindness or Remove Curse spell. Their sight returns when the weapon is loaded with ammunition, but from the perspective of the ammunition instead. Once an attack is resolved or if the weapon's ammunition is removed from contact with the weapon, their blindness returns.
If you manage to uncurse the ranged weapon, you can voluntarily take the perspective of the bolt while firing it, which can be useful for reconnaissance especially if no one in the party can cast Find Familiar.

A Bow that makes you blind except when you nock an arrow would actually be a really cool weapon. For characterisation, I mean.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: April 23, 2020, 10:09:20 am »

Scythe of Heavy Deeds

I think that the weight/damage increase should be permanent but only applies per-character, rather than resetting after a day. The weight of your actions cannot be so easily discarded.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: April 23, 2020, 10:10:19 am »

Heeeyoo
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: April 23, 2020, 11:11:54 am »

Yeah, poorly worded. My intent was that if the scythe doesn't take a life in 24 hours it resets, not that you can keep the bonus by sparring.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: April 23, 2020, 12:00:55 pm »

Yeah, poorly worded. My intent was that if the scythe doesn't take a life in 24 hours it resets, not that you can keep the bonus by sparring.
That's still overpowered, but means have extra incentive to kill every being you can find that you don't find morally wrong to kill.
Would killing someone only to revivify them work?

Also, LordWhispers how about adding a very strong creature that is sworn to kill all men and never kill a woman, or something like that?
In order to get around it all the men in the party have to have an illusion over them, or cross-dress and hope the creature doesn't notice that they're men.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7931 on: April 23, 2020, 03:32:18 pm »

The workshop of Jymbro the muscle wizard houses a range of large, arcane torture tools. It's said those who can correctly endure their use may gain temporary boons to their abilities, though for most trying them, it merely ends in sweat, pain, tears and low self-esteem.
Not gonna lie, I've been waiting for an excuse to force my players to endure the passion of the crossfit, where they must absolutely blast their abs for the sins of mankind

Honest Relaet's Curse Free Magic Item Dungeon Shoppe! (No Refunds)
All good, though for cursed range item I'd swap it for a boomerang that always comes back to you when thrown (but it will always hit you on the back of the head. Always).

Also, LordWhispers how about adding a very strong creature that is sworn to kill all men and never kill a woman, or something like that?
In order to get around it all the men in the party have to have an illusion over them, or cross-dress and hope the creature doesn't notice that they're men.
One of my players is playing a PC Paladin who will no doubt successfully argue that the monster is just being incredibly rude by assuming they are all men based off their appearance, so I think this will fit perfectly

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: April 23, 2020, 03:48:29 pm »

One of my players is playing a PC Paladin who will no doubt successfully argue that the monster is just being incredibly rude by assuming they are all men based off their appearance, so I think this will fit perfectly
Let's hope libertarian vampire merchant doesn't overhear.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7933 on: April 23, 2020, 03:50:29 pm »

You all take 1d8 political damage as he hands out copious sums of his literature`

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: April 23, 2020, 03:53:09 pm »

A fun thing I realized is that the other libertarian stereotype also applies here depending on the age of the vampire.

"What if the mortal consents, though?" "He's only 35, you disgusting freak!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 623