Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 210814 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Just sat down and played about three missions in the new one. Definitely feels way more brutal than before, though some of that might be that I'm not used to the new flow.

Houndmaster seems really neat, though he mostly just bleeds everyone out all at once with puppies. Undead make him sad, damage boosts make him happy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

It's feels a lot easier at low level however, I could complete dark runs without issues with a balanced group. Unless that was luck, it's hard to tell.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not see what is so easy about the mid game.

Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)

*sigh* Goddamn this game. I get into it for a day or two, think I've finally broken through to some sort of playable balance and then it goes to shit when I try to keep playing.

So 1) the new patch created this monstrosity, I think they'll tune it down in a little bit
2) Sounds like an issue with preperation... I bring 12 food on a short mission. 20 or 24 on a medium mission. If all else fails you can always eat it.
3) It's possible to build really bad parties. I don't know enough about what you were using to say,
4)Medium runs are harder than short runs. I'm leary about doing easy medium length runs without a level 1-2 party with upgrades. I'd be worried about doing a medium medium run with just level 3's.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's feels a lot easier at low level however, I could complete dark runs without issues with a balanced group. Unless that was luck, it's hard to tell.

I think I can agree with this. I had maybe one bad run in all the Apprentice missions I did, leaving me feeling like "Yeah, Veteran missions, let's do this!"

3) It's possible to build really bad parties. I don't know enough about what you were using to say,

If Crusader/Helion/Vestal/Plague Doctor is a bad party, then there are no good parties that aren't 100% cheese.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:08:38 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Plague doctor sucks ass.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

She doesn't when the enemy is stacking 7 damage a turn between dots/bleeds. And 3+ damage/tick ignoring prot is nothing to sneeze at. The unfortunate part is she's a gaping hole in your damage output while she's  removing debuffs.

I dunno, I think part of it too is I didn't make the switch from caring more about damage than stress in Veteran. I tend to go for the stress dealers first because they're squishier and fewer attacks incoming per turn seems better. But after watching the Swinetaur wreck my whole party, maybe you need to focus more on reducing incoming damage.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:33:09 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

... that's a pretty good point. Damn blight is bleeding me.

Stress is bad, though. You can technically recover from it through crits, but if it builds up it can do you in pretty fast.

Plus, once one character is afflicted, you might as well quit before the rest go the same way.

Unless they're a suicide squad I guess.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well and there's also stress resistance and stress healing to consider. At Rank 0, heroes have no stress resistance, and so every time they could take a stress hit, they will and it will likely be for the maximum amount.

Fast forward to rank 3, and they've got Stress resistance now (and the "stress check" value seems to go up as you do higher level missions.) Then you add stress healing on top of that, so they can heal for more (or less) of the standard amount. So comparatively, a rank 3 hero in a rank 3 dungeon is more likely to resist stress or receive less stress than a rank 0 hero in a rank 0 dungeon. So when push comes to shove, you can (should? might?) decide to deal with damage dealers before stress archers.

Until someone is about to break that is. I pretty much refuse to consider a run with an Affliction a success.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:48:36 am by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. Hound & Corpse!
« Reply #578 on: September 26, 2015, 10:43:30 pm »

Just got back into this.  New features are pretty interesting, I like the houndmaster.  He's not just a bleed machine, he also makes for a weird back-line tank, he's surprisingly tough and has a high dodge chance.  Man-at-arms is also great.  I like that they seem to have taken some of the complaints about excessive drawbacks to heart.  Afflictions don't seem as bad (though conversely breakthroughs don't seem as good) and most trinkets actually seem like they'd be worth using.

I'm wondering what people's strategies are for extracting quality from the meatgrinder. Right now I'm discarding basically everyone who doesn't come out fine, and leaving the rest to sit there while I decide what to do with them.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. Hound & Corpse!
« Reply #579 on: September 26, 2015, 10:53:40 pm »

Man-at-arms is freakin' awesome. Not as good at tanking as the Crusader or Leper, but a much better team player and can attack enemies one slot further back.

Haven't had much use for the Arbalist though. The rear ranks are usually where I stick my healer(s).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 26, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »

Love Houndmaster, easily my favorite class. Agree that Arbalest is kind of eh.

I don't really have a "strategy" for getting quality out of the meatgrinder, unfortunately. I tend to just kind of take whoever I get and then stick with them, even if mechanically there are better options.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 27, 2015, 04:01:24 am »

Dark runs seem good for making money.  Run four randoms through with no torch until you complete or they're too fucked up to continue, bail with your money and dismiss them, they probably weren't gonna amount to anything anyway.

Still trying to figure out how to progress with my decent level 1s though without getting them killed.  Wondering how strong a guy should be before I start spending real money on him with skills and treatments and shit.

Man-at-arms has the advantage of actual tank abilities.  I don't see leper as much of a tank really, more like a tanky damage dealer.  Man-at-arms can mark himself, has riposte, and can guard another character.  He can actually force the enemy to attack him and do damage back.
Shoes...

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 27, 2015, 04:31:53 am »

I've played through this a few times up to the point of having a full team of level sixes. In my experience doing anything but a dark run while you have sane people is pointless. Dark runs net the highest return and if you don't bring awful team comps, they're not suicidal at all. If you're careful with what you engage in the dungeon you'll find that your party (usually) pulls through in the end. Obviously there are exceptions to this. Things can go terribly wrong especially with certain teams. But the same can be said for your enemies when you're running in the dark (this advice doesn't apply to boss runs). If a skirmish is starting to go bad just retreat as soon as possible, then find a better route or decide to disembark or re-engage.

I still embark with a single torch in case of emergencies when I don't want to lose someone important. People tend to forget that you can retreat from a botched run. Sure it sets you back a -little-, but chances are you'll learn from your mistakes and net more gain on the next one.

So yeah unless 70% of your barracks is at breaking point just do dark runs forever. As a bonus the game is a lot more interesting that way.

edit: also I don't know what you guys are talking about, I've found the arbalest to be amazing in the fourth row in my runs. She can pick off any problem enemy in one to two turns usually. Her aoe can be killer when paired with the highwayman's aoe. To top it off she's really durable, anything that decides to attack her is essentially wasting a turn while she (and my other damage dealers) dish out the critical hits. But I've had the most success by far with Man-at-arms, he seems a little overpowered?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:40:13 am by debvon »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 27, 2015, 05:09:12 am »

Yeah Arbalest from the back row is great for picking off weak spell casters. Get some nice damage trinkets on her and watch her crits mow guys down. She's pretty useful for bosses that don't change your rows.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2015, 09:33:02 am »

Arbalests are a tad weak early game but they scale into one of the best damage dealers. This is because the damage and crit bonus on snipers shot increase with each level and their really high accuracy makes them perfect for certain trinkets (like the ancestral bracer).

Though they got buffed a bit since their release so they're still pretty good early game.

"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 101