Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8048 8049 [8050] 8051 8052 ... 13314

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14881612 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ] WHY ARE WE YELLING? (Happy thread...?)
« Reply #120735 on: February 01, 2014, 08:10:39 pm »

HAnnibaL 9000?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #120736 on: February 01, 2014, 08:26:14 pm »

I saw Her.

It was good.

Refreshing to see a movie about an AI who isn't goddamn Hannibal Lector or something.

Oh, and I want one.
AI are so violent in every movie you have to wonder what the first AI to DL and "watch" those movies will think.

I'm guessing they either decide it's their purpose and start spraying us with Terminator Cliches or they find it horrific and become a cybernetic race of robo-Ghandis and cyborg Martin Luther King Jrs. Probably the last one - I want a robo-Ghandi!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120737 on: February 01, 2014, 08:40:44 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if AIs (if we ever make any) turned out to be like in mass effect. The closer they are to a human, personality wise, the friendlier they'll be in general, because people, at least, tend to get on better with people we can relate to, and have a habit of shunning those we don't relate to.
What about the uncanny valley? It applies to humans, so why not AI as well?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120738 on: February 01, 2014, 08:53:52 pm »

I saw Her.

It was good.

Refreshing to see a movie about an AI who isn't goddamn Hannibal Lector or something.

Oh, and I want one.
AI are so violent in every movie you have to wonder what the first AI to DL and "watch" those movies will think.

I'm guessing they either decide it's their purpose and start spraying us with Terminator Cliches or they find it horrific and become a cybernetic race of robo-Ghandis and cyborg Martin Luther King Jrs. Probably the last one - I want a robo-Ghandi!
I'm guessing the AIs will form a sort of anti-defamation league, either pushing for such films to be banned or using them as examples of "negative portrayals of AI in media".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #120739 on: February 01, 2014, 08:54:18 pm »

Just in from a night out for a mate's birthday, was much fun, am maybe a bit drunk.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #120740 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:59 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if AIs (if we ever make any) turned out to be like in mass effect. The closer they are to a human, personality wise, the friendlier they'll be in general, because people, at least, tend to get on better with people we can relate to, and have a habit of shunning those we don't relate to.
Well, that's one thing I've learnt for today.

Anyway, think about the geth more, they don't trigger the uncanny valley because they don't need to look like humans, they look humanoid enough so that they don't look disturbing but they certainly don't look human so they wouldn't ever trigger the revulsion, simple.
At least in my head, I'm not too discriminatory with how things look.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #120741 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:24 pm »

I've actually found a group of people to hang out with on campus! They're the Classics department wallflowers; neither Russian nor Linguistics have hangers-on because they're both in the big foreign languages building on campus, which doesn't really have any lobbies. I'm one of five or six Classical Languages majors proper (of twenty-two students in the department, the others are all either Latin or Classical Studies majors, which are a bit less rigorous). The male dress code appears to be tweed jackets and bowties (time for another Goodwill trip...). There's a senior who hangs out in there who knows Italian, Latin, Greek, Mandarin, Russian, and Sanskrit, is working on French or German, and wears a waistcoat.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #120742 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:53 pm »

Well, that's one thing I've learnt for today.

Anyway, think about the geth more, they don't trigger the uncanny valley because they don't need to look like humans, they look humanoid enough so that they don't look disturbing but they certainly don't look human so they wouldn't ever trigger the revulsion, simple.
At least in my head, I'm not too discriminatory with how things look.
Oh yeah. Remember it's impulse speaking there, it's the "get away from these weird people dude" instinct.

Robots don't necessarily have that impulse, and won't unless someone programs them too. Even then, they will still be outnumbered by the ones who don't.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #120743 on: February 01, 2014, 09:38:26 pm »

So I just figured out how to shave without leaving stubbles.
My face feels so smooth right now. :3
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120744 on: February 01, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »

We have to negatively portray something, or we'll run out of antagonists. COD is even starting to get in trouble for their Russia/China whathaveyou.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #120745 on: February 01, 2014, 09:42:01 pm »

If we suddenly became a part of an interstellar community this very moment, would all video games with aliens be racist?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #120746 on: February 01, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »

We have to negatively portray something, or we'll run out of antagonists. COD is even starting to get in trouble for their Russia/China whathaveyou.
This is why shooters that aren't MMS tend to use aliens. Theres less people complaining about antagonists.

If we suddenly became a part of an interstellar community this very moment, would all video games with aliens be racist?
Depends, do they look similar to any of the portrayed aliens?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #120747 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:25 pm »

North Korea is nice. Or maybe you can simply make a really long list of typically "evil" entities and pick randomly. Or just create a slightly alternate universe: You can kill Chinese people (or hell any people) all you want if they are all Nazis supporting clone Hitler or something.

Or Zombies. They will take the zombies when they rip it from my cold unfeeling hands.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120748 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:56 pm »

Presumably only if there were notably similarities between said video games and actually existent aliens. Though they don't have to look similar. Cultural similarities or whathaveyou is enough for stuff like that.

Seriously though, if we need antagonists, we got Orcs. And Orkz. Stuff like that. Just invent something, make sure it doesn't notably resemble any current day groups (with sufficient clout to make a fuss, anyway >_>), and go to town.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #120749 on: February 01, 2014, 09:47:19 pm »

Would video games be radically different if we had some other kind of appendage other than fingers? Like tentacles or something? What about if people had four arms? What would the increased amount of inputs mean for games?
Pages: 1 ... 8048 8049 [8050] 8051 8052 ... 13314