Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 311

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 487866 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick
« Reply #3555 on: March 01, 2019, 07:18:42 pm »

Actually, given that this is the council of clans, we might get some rapid-fire law changes. The vampires only told them to vote yes on the primary proposal...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: March 01, 2019, 10:08:24 pm »

The vampires dominated them, which lets them give whatever orders they want to the council whenever they want
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: March 01, 2019, 10:21:15 pm »

With that attitude, it's no wonder you're always under mind control.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: March 01, 2019, 10:40:50 pm »

The vampires dominated them, which lets them give whatever orders they want to the council whenever they want
It confused me at first, but I think I understand it now:
Panels 7-8 indicate that issuing a demand using domination (a supernatural ability) is against dwarven law, so the vampires would be petrified if they used it within the blue aura.  So they're not doing that while within the aura, merely talking.  The voters, despite being dominated, would not be compelled to obey spoken commands.  The actual compelling is done via a telepathic link (as per the spell, and as demonstrated by lizard-vampire).

So they can't use that telepathic link while they're in the aura...  But they're using it in panel 1 to compel the voters to follow spoken commands later.  (They're also speaking the orders aloud, but that's probably for our benefit.)  They won't use any ability in the aura, just take advantage of a situation they set up.  And nobody will be able to dispel the domination (without being turned to stone, anyway).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: March 01, 2019, 11:21:30 pm »

Durkon could just walk in there and get off a Mass Dispel Magic. He'd be turned to stone, but that would be reversed as soon as the meeting is over and the no-longer-dominated council members couldn't be attacked or dominated by vampires without those vampires being turned to stone.

Really I think that the orange barrier is the bigger problem. If only dwarves can pass then Durkon is on his own to get past the defenses. The hammer should be enough to deal with vampires, but he'd burn through spell slots dealing with dominated guards without killing them.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: March 02, 2019, 12:00:46 am »

I think the verbal command "from any vampire" will be important. I just don't know how.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: March 02, 2019, 12:41:23 am »

Maybe a polymorphed or illusion covered OOTS member? Unless the vampires have some way of telling who is or isn't a vampire.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: March 02, 2019, 12:45:41 am »

The council members don't have any magical senses or anything, so they could probably be ordered around by anyone with fake fangs and red contacts. Or a basic illusion magic.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: March 02, 2019, 01:09:58 am »

If I understand correctly, someone could just drink a potion of glibness in the middle chamber to get +30 bluff.  That'd be a callback, too.  I can see the vampire was wondering if the middle room is exploitable on purpose.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: March 02, 2019, 01:13:36 am »

The council members don't have any magical senses or anything, so they could probably be ordered around by anyone with fake fangs and red contacts. Or a basic illusion magic.

They'd still have to get past the 'Dwarves only' barrier though.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: March 02, 2019, 01:21:34 am »

Durkon could illusion-up and pretend to be Durkula? Who... somehpw survived. Dwarf, check, gets past vamp guards, check, order from vamp, check.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: March 02, 2019, 01:33:40 am »

Ah, Durkon actually mentions here that the council chamber has three rings. I wonder what the innermost one is.

In this case "dwarves only" Means Durkon and Minrah for sure, probably Sigdi's coming, maybe Hilgya. Plus whatever other dwarves they can convince to help, of course.

But the barrier does mean that barring some Polymorph action, the rest of the Order won't get to be very helpful.
Of course Polymorph is a spell so maybe we'll get to see what all the main characters look like as dwarves! :P

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: March 02, 2019, 09:03:11 am »

Would someone who thinks of themself as a dwarf, but is not physically a dwarf get through the blue barrier?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:42 am »

Ah, Durkon actually mentions here that the council chamber has three rings. I wonder what the innermost one is.
You appear to have linked to http://here rather than one of the comics.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: March 02, 2019, 09:41:06 am »

Clearly Egan bought a  domain and wants to increase traffic.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:30:27 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 311