Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2091 2092 [2093] 2094 2095 ... 2192

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2841193 times)

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31380 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:34 am »

dunno if this is alrdy suggested here, "ergo proxy" is the best anime in my opinion :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31381 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:13 am »

Ergo Proxy was the first anime I ever saw and the entire reason I have seen a single animu since then. Also the best looking and probably just simply best too.

I mean, at times it gets a bit too pretentious (like, god, that entire episode), but aside from that, it has no flaws.

No animu has ever lived up to the bar set by it.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31382 on: July 12, 2018, 08:16:24 am »

I can accept other opinions, but "le sigh" is a step too far

You guys are misunderstanding.
I parsed that as poking fun at the fact that you unironically used the phrase "le sigh"
yup
That phrase has never, in the history of the internet, been used seriously.

Yep, it's just another way of saying facepalm or similar. I used it because facepalm et al are all way overused.

BTW "le sigh" is a classic for a reason: it's from Pepe Le Pew.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:20:26 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31383 on: July 12, 2018, 08:53:07 am »

Di... didn't le pew usually say that in reference to someone he was pining after?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31384 on: July 12, 2018, 04:28:34 pm »

Sure, but the context of phrases does and can change over decades. I'd say the current meaning is like a facepalm-lite. I considered facepalm but it's much more overused. I never used "le sigh" so I used it this one time, because it's just a "meh" situation.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:30:13 pm by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31385 on: July 12, 2018, 09:14:33 pm »

He mentioned Showa Genroku Rakugo
Therefore i’m ready to assume he’s better than other people.
(Not sure that anime would appeal to girls though, was going to recommend it to a friend but I dunno)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31386 on: July 12, 2018, 11:13:15 pm »

Let's do another "that's not anime" debate right here right now

Okay.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31387 on: July 13, 2018, 02:57:44 am »

Sorry, Twitter doesn't load on my phone because it sucks
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31388 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:05 am »

Oh, it was the twitter account of a famous Japanese anime artist doing Steven universe fan art.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31389 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:46 am »

He mentioned Showa Genroku Rakugo
Therefore i’m ready to assume he’s better than other people.
(Not sure that anime would appeal to girls though, was going to recommend it to a friend but I dunno)

It's Josei (e.g. typically written by and for women over about 25 y/o). Handsome-yet-doomed Samurais and old-fashiony Japanese period drama plays the part of Jane Austen or knights in armor to Japanese women. Whether that translates into interest by western girls remains to be seen. But there are some other series which might test the waters. Nana, Chihayafuru, Nodame Cantabile, Sakimachi no Appollon, Ristarante Paradiso, among others. If someone liked at least some of these they'd probably be ok with Rakugo.

BTW ppl watch House of Five Leaves for a very "rakugo" type vibe and art style.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:24:24 am by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31390 on: July 14, 2018, 10:33:48 am »

One of the new releases this season.

It's got a similar premise to Osmosis Jones (anthropomorphic cells living in the human body) but a different feel. It's also entirely about said cells, so no jarring cuts to whoever the cells live inside.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31391 on: July 15, 2018, 08:37:19 am »

I've been waiting fucking years for the next season of Kaiji and this is what I fucking get!? ... I'll take it thank you.

Anyway, I've spontaneously picked up and started binging on Parasyte: the Maxim, and I gotta say... the allusions to Devilman Crybaby are real, frequent, and strong. Actually, that's the reason I picked up the series, I saw that this was directly inspired by Devilman, and you can tell, I'm basically screaming "I'm a devil! And a man! I'm a DEVILMAN!" every episode in response to something something happening in the show that has a 1:1 parallel to Devilman Crybaby.

I'm halfway through though, and I'm loving it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #31392 on: July 15, 2018, 12:41:59 pm »

I've been waiting fucking years for the next season of Kaiji and this is what I fucking get!? ... I'll take it thank you.
Hell yeah!!!

zawa zawa zawa zawa zawa zawa zawa

E: Also hey, there's a game based on the cruise ship arc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH1D9AHV3lo

E2: Glad I'm rewatching Kaiji to prepare to watch this, Tonegawa is an interesting character and his relationship with Kaiji is nuanced. Great bad guy. The kowtow scene is also really unexpected in a game that already had a lot of twists and turns.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:11:16 pm by Parsely »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31393 on: July 16, 2018, 01:13:00 pm »

Hell yeah!!!

zawa zawa zawa zawa zawa zawa zawa

E: Also hey, there's a game based on the cruise ship arc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH1D9AHV3lo

E2: Glad I'm rewatching Kaiji to prepare to watch this, Tonegawa is an interesting character and his relationship with Kaiji is nuanced. Great bad guy. The kowtow scene is also really unexpected in a game that already had a lot of twists and turns.

This is actually a prequel to the series, and it devotes most of the first episode to catching up to all the events that transpired before Kaiji met Tonegawa. I don't think a ketchup rewatch is necessary, but hey, a rewatch of Ultimate Survivor ain't bad at all.

I polished off Parasyte, and I loved the show but that ending is kinda... fucky. I mean, atleast it didn't end like Devilman, thank god it didn't I don't think my heart could take that again, but I don't think going full hippie was a good way to end the story. We never even got to learn how the parasytes came to exist, honestly kind've a bummer I was sure that was going to be a major plot point, I honestly can't even see how it didn't become a plot point. I honestly wanted Yagami Light in this story, as I want him in most animes I watch, just to get the full mind game experience that I feel this show promised, and then didn't deliver on.

For a score, gotta give it:

notquitedevilman/10

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31394 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »

They never really explain the existence of the parasites in the manga either, so I'm guessing it's just supposed to be a mystery. Even the various parasites admitted that they didn't have a clue regarding their origins.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2091 2092 [2093] 2094 2095 ... 2192