Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124861 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9570 on: January 03, 2016, 12:44:06 am »

Coral.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: January 03, 2016, 02:19:54 pm »

I opened the emergency lockdown and all of my citizens streamed forth to meet the beast. Leading the charge was Dastot Gearsummer, Mason. He met the foe with a single punch. Where silver maces, steel swords, and hundreds of bolts had failed, a single punch from an unskilled mason slew the beast.
That's not a facepalm, that's the stuff of legend, right there :P

I once built a large shooting range for my marksdwarves to practice on live targets in. It was completely separate from my main fortress. I caught a dragon and parked it inside in it's cage, then waited for my three marksdwarve squads to arrive. Every time one or two would trickle in, two or three would leave. It was frustrating. Finally, I let the dragon out of the cage, and all but one marksdwarf left. Not "ran off." Not "Fled in terror." Not "went looking for ammo." Just "Meh, What else is going on?" Well, they were justified in that that lone remaining marksdwarf fired three shots, the first two of which missed, and the third of which must have been the Black Arrow, because it struck the dragon in the neck and killed it instantly.

It's like my marksdwarfs had to draw straws to see who got stuck with the unenviable task of putting down the miserable monster. The winners got to go haul rocks and toss xXrope reed fiber sockXxs into the garbage chute. Yay?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: January 03, 2016, 04:26:36 pm »

I started a .42 game, chose an embark between four (!) dark towers -- and then proceed to prioritize early fort set-up as though I were still in .40.

I haven't had this many dwarves slaughtered by goblins since .34.

Fortunately, unlike .34, the survivors are much better able to deal with the horror, and are able to function during the build-coffins-and-place-them-as-fast-as-you-can-don't-mind-the-miasma phase. (This was after I failed to notice a dwarf had entered a mood until I saw the message "Urist McWeaver cancels strange mood: gone insane. Urist McWeaver has gone stark raving mad!" Not sure what the goblins thought when he charged at them buck-naked.)

Edit: Indeed, the kind of slaughter that would have been a fortress-ending !FUN! disaster in .34, and wouldn't have happened at all in .40, is very much possible to recover from in .42. Only a few job cancelations as I got all the casualties memorialized and the blood cleaned off the walls; plenty of migrants arriving and jumping right in to help instead of freaking out, and when the Vile Force of Darkness came back the next ingame year in much greater numbers than previously, we were ready. Only (non-invader) casualties were a pet chicken and a human  hammerman visitor -- the former didn't run fast enough, the latter left the safe tavern to quixotically charge straight into a trapped corridor that was overflowing with heavily armed invaders.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:17:08 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: January 03, 2016, 11:24:09 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: January 04, 2016, 10:41:20 am »

Daston Gearsummer, killer of the hill titan Zöslu Swampscale, was just bitten by a were-mammoth.

I couldn't have one week?

Edit: now that he is under protective bed-rest, he just entered a secretive mood. Does turning prevent insanity from failed moods?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:56:25 am by Zarathustra30 »
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #9575 on: January 04, 2016, 11:03:24 am »

Daston Gearsummer, killer of the hill titan Zöslu Swampscale, was just bitten by a were-mammoth.

I couldn't have one week?

Edit: now that he is under protective bed-rest, he just entered a secretive mood. Does turning prevent insanity from failed moods?

I don't think I've ever seen research on that. Time for you to perform some cutting-edge !!SCIENCE!!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: January 04, 2016, 11:10:34 am »

As long as he survives. He as a missing leg arm, a wounded leg, a skull fracture, a lower back injury, and I'm pretty sure blood loss. He got out of bed before my CMD could evaluate him.

Edit: misread injuries. Missing parts are not injured.

Edit: Dastot Gearsummer cancels Strange Mood: too injured. Zarathustra30 has been stricken my melancholy!

Of course he died before he could heal his wounds by changing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:26:17 am by Zarathustra30 »
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
« Reply #9577 on: January 04, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »

Ok so, i litterlary just beat a night beast without getting TOO damaged (yeah just a broken foot, bruised wing, and maybe a few cuts) and i decided on living on its humble abode, after learning that i could not walk on campfires i decided to block the entrance with them,  oblivious that they stay on for-EVER, that run ended on NOT  a warrior's death, but getting trapped inside by my own obliviousness. Yeah...
Edit: is there a way to put them out?
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: January 04, 2016, 08:59:17 pm »

You might try better in the Adventure Mode Discussion forum...  All of us here play fortress mode, and some of us (like me) do so exclusively.

If I had to guess, water in sufficient quantity puts out hot things (some exceptions may apply), so may help here.

Perusing http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Campfire I find this little tidbit of information that you might find helpful:
Walking into a tile containing a campfire is not possible, even for creatures immune to fire. Jumping over and even into a campfire is possible and harmless. Campfires can't be destroyed but will disappear on their own after few hours.

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: January 05, 2016, 07:34:45 am »

Despite playing for a few years, there's one facepalm I still catch myself doing now and then.

Oh, a siege is here? I'll just pull this handy lever and close the drawbridge to keep those pesky pests from bothering my dwarves.

Wait, where did the bridge go

oh god so many goblins

oh right there's an important difference between raise and retract
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: January 05, 2016, 07:36:51 am »

Ok so, i litterlary just beat a night beast without getting TOO damaged (yeah just a broken foot, bruised wing, and maybe a few cuts) and i decided on living on its humble abode, after learning that i could not walk on campfires i decided to block the entrance with them,  oblivious that they stay on for-EVER, that run ended on NOT  a warrior's death, but getting trapped inside by my own obliviousness. Yeah...
Edit: is there a way to put them out?

Either sleep for a day or so, or jump onto the campfires.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: January 05, 2016, 12:07:45 pm »

oh right there's an important difference between raise and retract

I always add a "Pull the lever!" right after the order to link up a bridge, just to be sure I got it all right. It can cause a few cancellations as dwarves have their paths blocked, and maybe someone will get launched, but it's worth it to be sure the bridge will do the right thing in an emergency.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

SomeoneSneaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: January 05, 2016, 06:33:00 pm »

And on a different note, there's also loading the game because you have an idea on how to change an ongoing project to make it easier on yourself, so you think to yourself, it's okay, this won't take long.

And then five hours later you realize you meant to go to bed three hours ago. :|
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: January 06, 2016, 08:01:21 am »

*snip*

Wrong thread! Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:12:33 am by HiddenEyes056 »
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: January 06, 2016, 02:20:05 pm »

I'm trying to built a fort that grows its population mostly through births (migrant cap of 25). So I'm being really careful about losing dwarfs and encouraging pregnancies and whatnot.

A year in, a wereraccoon attacked and only infected one soldier before going down. That soldier now resides inside a tiny lockbox on the surface, waiting for when she's needed for defense.

Finally, the fortress had its first birth. Of course, it was the wereraccoon's.

(Strangely enough, once transformed the wereraccoon did not tear her babby to shreds as expected. So I guess I may have the fun of coaxing the child from the werebox a year from now.) EDIT: Nevermind, the valiant baby fell in battle :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:57:23 pm by strawberry-wine »
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 729