Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524275 times)

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2415 on: August 01, 2016, 01:35:41 pm »

Does anyone have access to a sprite dump from the most recent version? The one I am using for my modding is missing a lot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: August 01, 2016, 03:58:50 pm »

I have done a terrible thing.

While dicking around with new pretender designs (pretty much the only thing I ever do), I mentally pronounced the EA nation of Berytos as "Burritos".

There is no hope for me. Save yourselves.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 01, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »

Now I can't ever unsee that.....

Any intrest in another near vanilla game, small-ish (8) and fast-ish? Last one went by in a flash tbh and was great.
Count me interested.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:21 pm »

Does anyone have access to a sprite dump from the most recent version? The one I am using for my modding is missing a lot.

To my knowledge, 4.26 had no changed sprites, so the link to 4.25 here should be the most recent one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: August 03, 2016, 12:55:53 pm »

Am I just ignorant, or is the Bouda Father pretender chassis bugged?  In the designer at least, it seems to be taking more points to improve its magic paths than it should.

Normally, adding points onto an already-known path will cost 8-16-24-etc design points per skill level, but adding one point onto any of the Bouda Father's base paths will cost 16, not 8.

Is this just some of Hyena's trickery, or is this unintentional?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:20 pm »

Any intrest in another near vanilla game, small-ish (8) and fast-ish? Last one went by in a flash tbh and was great.
After the missteps I made last vanilla game, I wouldn't mind trying another.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: August 03, 2016, 11:38:02 pm »

Kagus, I'd say it's an error. The Werehyena (#2427) doesn't have the same paths defined as the Bouda Father (#2426), and one suspects that's making the engine treat its native paths (which should cost 8 for the first level) as paths that were bought (which should cost 16 for the first level).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: August 04, 2016, 07:00:59 am »

Goodness! An error? In Dominions?  Never thought I'd see the day...

It's been a while since I last played. One of the "new" additions since that time was the "fire and keep distance" command, which I've now fallen very much in love with.  There's a looot of fun dickery that can be done with skirmishers...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: August 04, 2016, 07:29:45 am »

So thats 3 intrested (counting myself) - if we get another we could have a small skirmish or so. Maybe we'll wait till the first in the other game die out.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:47 am »

Goodness! An error? In Dominions?  Never thought I'd see the day...

It's been a while since I last played. One of the "new" additions since that time was the "fire and keep distance" command, which I've now fallen very much in love with.  There's a looot of fun dickery that can be done with skirmishers...
Yeah, I never can get that to work, or at least not the way I expect it to. I heard a rumor or something that they were mixed up or something and that regular "fire" made them keep distance while "fire and keep distance" made them chase things.
But then they seem to just ignore me either way and get ganked so fuck if I know.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 04, 2016, 11:28:08 am »

Fire and keep distance has done what you'd expect when I've tried it, but seemed worthless because my archers would not fire or fight while falling back, so they'd get rekt by cavalry, or anything else, really.

I thought it would be great on flying archers, and yet when I tried it on them, they also only walked backwards slowly. :-\

Now I just leave them on "fire" and if something closes, I just expect them to try to beat it to death with their bows.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 05, 2016, 06:19:51 am »

It works great for some things, like the monkey people or Marverni's/Mictlan's shielded slingers.  They generally have enough move points to keep infantry coming after them while the occasional stone hits something, and the shields help against archer fire.

Really, it's mostly about pulling enemy formations out of position than anything else. Against heavily armored front line troops, it outpaces them and harasses them backwards across the battlefield so your heavy-hitters can flank and surround them, while still providing the occasional lucky shot.  Against lightly-armored troops, the constant supply of missiles will actually do a pretty decent number on the enemy troops, which helps balance out the fact that you won't be able to effectively lead them away quite as far.

And yeah, it doesn't work on flying archers because of the way the game handles flight movement, and the rather low movepoints flying units generally have because of that.  Mounted archers, on the other hand, make very good use of it.  Provided, of course, that they actually have an avenue of escape and aren't hemmed in by dense formations.

I also use it for javelin infantry on a flank, because it means they'll hurl their spears at the approaching enemy without immediately getting tied up by them and thus melting. Once they're out of ammunition they'll engage as per usual, but by that time the enemy is either in position for being flanked or is otherwise softened up by the javelin shots, without having too many try-hards from the javelin squad get caught in the friendly fire zone.

Also, a point worth noting is that they'll only retreat from their targeted squad, not from other troops moving in on their position. So if you've got a block with, say, "fire and keep distance archers", they'll target an archer squad and make sure they keep a healthy distance from their daggers, while completely ignoring the forward infantry line directly in front of them.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 05, 2016, 10:17:57 am »

What are the best two spell groups in your opinions, and why are they blood and death magic?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 05, 2016, 10:29:05 am »

They're air and astral (which I can see you already know, even if you misspelled them "blood" and "death") because you didn't give enough parameters as to what circumstances you're talking about, so we're obviously talking about the most widely effective/hard-to-hard-counter battle spells. Plus both are excellent for strategic harassment and caster mobility, even though that's not what we were talking about.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 05, 2016, 10:43:15 am »

What are the best two spell groups in your opinions, and why are they blood and death magic?

Blood and death magic, because you can create vampire lords who create vampires and spam undead in battle. Also infernal disease. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 236