Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523989 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3135 on: March 20, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »

You don't cast Power of the Spheres. You forge Crystal Shields for your combat mages. :P

It's still an edge case I don't think I've ever seen! But yeah, the oft forgotten Crystal Shields.... If only your encumbrance was lower (but then you'd be OP so...)

Truly E/S is best support from lab crosspath.

And because timing:

If we're talking about communions, and you want your slaves to benefit from the fatigue reduction from having higher levels in the spells the master cast, you can't rely on Crystal Shields since item spells get cast before the communion goes up or any slaves join (I'll firmly ignore Crystal Matrix and unit id shenanigans for the sake of this discussion)...
If you give EVERYONE a matrix..... It may work. Maybe. Would be horrifically impractical though.
(On the fatigue: Really? Huh. Cracks show up every now and then I guess. It has been a while since I read the manual after all. But my question now is: Where the hell did I get the 15 from?)

GOD DARNIT I TYPE SLOW.

PotS is expensive to me because of fatigue, S1 mage knocks themself out casting it after all, and said S1 mage can't gem boost because it costs a gem. It's a decent communion spell though for mitigating slave fatigue and/or giving a master just a bit more power

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: March 21, 2017, 12:31:04 am »

Power of the Spheres can be used to boost anything once.  You just have to wait a few turns for them to wake up :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: March 21, 2017, 12:31:57 am »

I wish Dominions wasn't so damn expensive. I'd be buying copies for all of my friends if each of them didn't cost almost 50 Australian dollars.

I know it's been more than a couple of weeks but if you are still interested Gamersgate currently has Dominions 4 at 60% off.  https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA-STEAM/  Game can either be activated on Steam or kept DRM free.  Not sure how long the offer lasts... 8)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: March 21, 2017, 06:02:43 am »

Two days left! Thank you, I'll put this to good use.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:00 am »

And if you wanna get a quick start on the game, join us in round 25 ; )

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: March 22, 2017, 06:44:05 am »

Round 26 is in need of a sub for a nation in a strong position (a NationGen nation of illithids and their vanara thralls).

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: March 22, 2017, 02:59:04 pm »

Round 26 is in need of a sub for a nation in a strong position (a NationGen nation of illithids and their vanara thralls).

I'll take it if that's cool. I am not the best player, not a lot of multiplayer experience.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: March 23, 2017, 06:16:42 am »

Experience isn't a requirement to join these games. After all, if you can't play multiplayer because you don't have enough experience, how are you meant to get enough multiplayer experience to play?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:47 am »

Yes, if only there were some kind of programmatic constructs one could use to stand in for human players in a multi-player game scenario as a means of training... :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: March 23, 2017, 06:27:13 am »

Yes, if only there were some kind of programmatic constructs one could use to stand in for human players in a multi-player game scenario as a means of training... :P

They are pretty dumb compared to real players, but singleplayer is still good for learning the basics of how to play.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:45 am »

They are pretty dumb compared to real players, but singleplayer is still good for learning the basics of how to play.

Not to mention the fact that it's nearly indistinguishable from a multiplayer match for the first 10-15 turns or so.
But yeah, go singleplayer for a bit so you know what is what and have at least some idea of what you are doing.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: March 23, 2017, 01:11:34 pm »

My advice to new players would be to figure out an army that uses both mid level (2-3 in their best path) mages as well as national troops.  Then repeatedly play the first 6-18 months, restarting whenever you fuck up, until you reliably have a large nation AND you get your target army together ASAP.

I would also advise playing MA.  In the EA, its easy to either over-rely on sacreds or to get crushed by someone using sacreds.  Doesn't teach magic at all.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: March 23, 2017, 05:44:27 pm »

My advice to new players would be to figure out an army that uses both mid level (2-3 in their best path) mages as well as national troops.  Then repeatedly play the first 6-18 months, restarting whenever you fuck up, until you reliably have a large nation AND you get your target army together ASAP.
So... You should figure out an army that uses mages and then repeatedly stop playing when you get to the part where mages begin to matter?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:41 pm »

Yes. Training your ability to secure an army that has those mages just as they start to matter. What happens after that is a more advanced tier; but getting a target army up within the first few turns and giving yourself the starting point of already having it available when it starts to matter is a good practice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: March 23, 2017, 06:10:20 pm »

Against AI... honestly, maybe? Honing your mage usage on the comp can fairly easily teach you some pretty bad habits. Getting to the point you can reach that portion of the game and then working through the rest against humans isn't that bad of an idea.

And ninja'd a bit, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 236