Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524300 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3225 on: June 20, 2017, 12:07:37 pm »

Hunting in capitals makes pop irrelevant, actually - the only magic number that counts for blood hunts is GT/LT 5000. The normal reason population is fussed over with blood hunting is because tax collection occurs after hunting and before patrolling, so there's an invisible income loss in hunted-but-patrolled provinces.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:10:22 pm by E. Albright »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: July 03, 2017, 09:48:33 am »

Do you ever think god stays in heaven because, he too, fears what he has created?

I'm upset they didn't feed it a Doom Horror.

What would you guys say is the best middle age team for blood magic? Or at least a good one. I love the idea of summoning hell beasts and cthuluian horrors into the world.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:06:18 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »

The only one I can actually think of is Abysia.  All the perennial blood nations put it aside for MA, like Mictlan and Ashdod.  Ashdod still has some of the blood summons like se'irim but I don't think they naturally get blood mages anymore to summon them.  They also lose the Watchers which sucks. 

I dunno if MA is the best age for going full blood.  LA has a ton of blood nations and EA has some standouts.
Shoes...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: July 03, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »

Eh, jotun and the bat critters are (or can be) pretty heavy blood, too. Arguably better than abysia vis a vis blood in particular, given their outside cap blood mages are either much cheaper (xia, vaet hags, though the former is terrain locked) or better in general  (skratti), and far, far more likely to have blood even in the worst case scenario (hags, which are 1 in 4 vs 1 in 40 or so). Abys has potentially higher blood out-of-box commanders, but the other two have a much, much easier time getting hunters and overall massing up blood casters. I wouldn't be a happy abyssia trying to out blood either of them if their player was particularly decent at using sabbaths, heh.

Van can manage it if you're feeling frisky. Mict can still get into blood if you feel like being insistent if you take a B5 or so pretender -- they still have access to their national summons. Same with ash and bandar. Seems to be about it for MA, though, if the neither the inspector nor me are missing something.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:56:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: July 03, 2017, 01:07:18 pm »

I tested out MA Jotenheim for a blood build (although I never played it MP).  They seem pretty damn good at it.  If you get magic and money scales and expand quickly, you can spam the hags everywhere.  With three magic that's 40 gold for 6 research, still very efficient compared to your other mages.  If they random nature or death they're researchers, if they random astral they're communion slaves or researchers, if they random blood they're blood hunters.  Then you've got your Gyja and Skratti for all the magical heavy lifting, and for summoning Ice Fiends.  Gygja in particular can get you some good combat magic considering they can use both astral and blood communions, and random high into death and nature.  Although the blood communion spell has never cooperated for me...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: July 03, 2017, 03:19:59 pm »

Yeah, MA Jotunheim can pull off blood fairly well, and you're always going to want more hags for everything.

An odd one worth mentioning is Bandar Log. No native blood mages, but they keep almost all the blood summons of Lanka, PLUS all the celestial summons of Kailasa. You can eventually grind your way up to dakinis who have B3, but it's a stretch at Blood 6.  What's really fun is getting the White Bandar to go around naturally suppressing unrest (and auto-summoning more mooks who do the same thing) to keep things quiet in hunt provinces without hurting the population through patrols.

Pangaea also has the pandemoniacs, but they're expensive as hell (hah) and cap-only.

Vanheim and Vanarus have just enough blood to get you interested, but not enough oomph to do anything cool with it and no ecohunters.

Y'know, I'm actually kinda sad that R'lyeh doesn't get any blood power, as their theme really would tie into all the ritual sacrifice and, y'know, summoning horrors. Also the blood vortex ritual is pretty much fluffed straight out of Chulhuville.

Oh, right, just remembered something... Y'know the giant fetish pretender that Machaka gets? The mindless, lifeless pretender? Yeah, well, horror mark doesn't work on mindless dudes.

I've dicked around with this before, and you can just walk into a battle with a few slaves and call horrors, and they'll ignore you and go straight for the enemy. Even if you do get marked through casting or items or something, all your marks get wiped at the start of the next map turn.

Now, the horrors WILL attack you if you're the last thing on the battlefield, but they'll leave you alone until then. Their attacks will also plant more horror marks, but this does nothing as the marks will, as mentioned, just disappear.

The problem lies in getting blood and astral onto a giant fetish and not just being a one-trick pony that's late to the show...

EDIT: Also, regarding the actual reason I started writing a post in the first place (the Eater of the Thread)... Dayum. Shame it didn't keep spreading the dude's dominion, that would've been hilarious. Now I'm just trying to imagine the best/worst things you could put on it to make it even more ridiculous.

Also, honorable mention to the six-armed crone down near the bottom there.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: July 09, 2017, 01:21:09 pm »

My recent adventures in bamboozlement, i.e. playing Therodos, have brought out another mystery:
There's a hero with sailing, and that sailing ability has max size 2. And yet, the hero can sail with their national size 3 dancers. What's up with that?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: July 09, 2017, 07:44:51 pm »

My recent adventures in bamboozlement, i.e. playing Therodos, have brought out another mystery:
There's a hero with sailing, and that sailing ability has max size 2. And yet, the hero can sail with their national size 3 dancers. What's up with that?
Korybant's/Kouretes have a thing that says they only count as size 2 for the purposes of sailing. I don't think this is listed in game however.

I mean, the description does say that their sacred battle dance thing is not suited for dense formation fighting, and that's the reason they're size 3.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: July 10, 2017, 05:22:20 am »

One fun thing about game mechanics affecting fluff is that when playing Abysia, you benefit from taking Growth scale since fire magic makes your guys burn out (heh) with old age. I kind of think it is dull considering you are supposed to be a desert realm inhospitable to life. But maybe that is just my memories of original Dominions Abysia reflecting on me. (They were like Ermor-lite, unaffacted by death scales regarding supplies.)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: July 10, 2017, 06:51:50 am »

Technically, they still are unaffected by death scale supply penalties; however, as you point out, that's not nearly as significant as the old age thing (or cumulative income reduction, for that matter). It would probably be better if their "don't rely on the land" fluff canceled out direct death income penalties as well, but even then death scales would be a hard sell for them...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: July 10, 2017, 07:21:13 am »

I must admit I don't think I've ever played with Death scales other than the few rare times I've played Ermor. Permanent income loss from losing population and your mages getting feebleminded from old age just don't seem worth it. Taking some sloth or temperature seems like an easier choice for extra points.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: July 17, 2017, 02:13:25 pm »

New version of NationGen is out, if anyone is interested: https://github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases/tag/0.6.22

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22:38 pm »

Hey, what happens if you get a vampire unit (immortal), it dies, and you're a water nation? Does it just die forever?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: July 17, 2017, 02:41:51 pm »

He ded. Like so ded.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: July 17, 2017, 02:51:33 pm »

I must admit I don't think I've ever played with Death scales other than the few rare times I've played Ermor. Permanent income loss from losing population and your mages getting feebleminded from old age just don't seem worth it. Taking some sloth or temperature seems like an easier choice for extra points.

Every time I pick Death scales my strategy revolves around. It's such a major game changer because of how crippling it can/will be if you're not prepared for it.

I will say that it's pretty fun thematically to pick Death scales with a strong dominion and then focus on pushing said dominion, eventually causing slow but assured death to the lands around you while your own mages are reborn as undead death mages (Twiceborn). That doesn't mean it's a good strategy though, haha.

Hey, what happens if you get a vampire unit (immortal), it dies, and you're a water nation? Does it just die forever?

Yep, he's fugged.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 236