Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Back to school thread: Textbook total: 1 kidney, 2 virgins and a goat.  (Read 5843 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Back to school thread! Yaa... Booooo!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:22 pm »

Ooooh, what did everyone spend on textbooks? I managed to keep mine at around $450. Buying used is great, except the previous owner of this computer science book had a penchant for dicks.

Well, the new "basic" textbooks (English, German, Polish, History etc.) were supposed to cost about 290zł (~90USD), so the used ones costed less than that.
But there are still the "specific" textbooks (computer science, among other things).

Yeah, I'm not yet caring about the costs personally. But it's one of the last times like that.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »

Ooooh, what did everyone spend on textbooks? I managed to keep mine at around $450. Buying used is great, except the previous owner of this computer science book had a penchant for dicks.

Around 300USD for this half-semester. More than half of it, roughly 190USD was for a single damn book on Signal Analysis, and the kicker is that it is only about 450 pages... grumble grumble. By far the most I have paid per page for a book so far.
I spent less than that on both my damn Calculus book and my Physics book covering three courses together and those beasts were massive.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »

America started school a fucking month ago, we've already ridden the but-I-don't-want-to train and have stepped off at let's-buckle-down-and-deal-with-this-shit station

USA USA USA USA

Lessee... AP World History, AP Calculus, AP Government, DE English Composition, DE Human Anatomy & Physiology, and good old Economics. Luckily I don't have Spanish 3, they stopped offering that at my school once they realized that they were already assholes for only offering spanish and latin as foreign language classes. So instead of learning something interesting, I get to sit through rehashed bullshit and loads upon fucking loads of homework.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »

America started school a fucking month ago, we've already ridden the but-I-don't-want-to train and have stepped off at let's-buckle-down-and-deal-with-this-shit station

ITT assuming all american schools start at the same time

My NYC friend somehow is starting 1.5 months later than I did.

Gotta say: I'm loving Statistics so far. Like, the math part of it is really fun (much like chemistry in which the math part of it was the only part I found bearable).

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »

USA USA USA USA

Lessee... AP World History, AP Calculus, AP Government, DE English Composition, DE Human Anatomy & Physiology, and good old Economics. Luckily I don't have Spanish 3, they stopped offering that at my school once they realized that they were already assholes for only offering spanish and latin as foreign language classes. So instead of learning something interesting, I get to sit through rehashed bullshit and loads upon fucking loads of homework.

I don't quite get american colleges. I mean I am studying to become a civil engineer specialized in computer science and networking. Which means my days are filled with math, comp.sci. courses, physics etc. A friend of mine is studying to become a math teacher, studying well.. math and courses about teaching etc. Another friend studied to become a lawyer and did all the law stuff.
What I am getting at, here, everything is focused, you choose what you want to study and get courses tailored to that1, but whenever I hear about americans, they have things like you listed, a mish mash of World History and human anatomy. I guess there is a difference between swedish universities and american colleges I am missing here :p

In the lawyer example I guess you go to 'law school' for that, but how does that tie in with college?

Sorry for rambling :p I got up really early and I am tired as shit, if I made no sense what so ever, just ignore me ^^

1You can choose courses outside your program of course, but at least in my case, there is no way I would have the time to take a course on philosophy in between my engineering stuff.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:02:51 pm by Aptus »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »

What I am getting at, here, everything is focused, you choose what you want to study and get courses tailored to that, but whenever I hear about americans, they have things like you listed, a mish mash of World History and human anatomy. I guess there is a difference between swedish universities and american colleges I am missing here :p
ggamer is in high school if he's taking AP classes, not college.

It is also worth pointing out that, in the US, the difference between colleges and universities is that the latter performs research alongside teaching students, while the former only teaches.
In the lawyer example I guess you go to 'law school' for that, but how does that tie in with college?
You would go to a college to get a relevant degree, usually pre-law, and then use that to apply to law school to become a lawyer. The same system applies to doctors, and less often some other fields.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »

Personally, I still colleges in the US are still too focused. Science students can take an art history class and graduate without even attempting to make art in any form. Art students can get by with only the most rudimentary knowledge of science. Business majors can graduate with a fifth grader's writing level (that's an eleven year old for you non-Americans). English majors can graduate with a fifth grader's knowledge of math.

Gen eds were designed to get people outside their comfort zone and expose them to new experiences and areas they wouldn't explore otherwise, but they've frequently just become a search for the easiest way to fill your "Science requirement" checkbox without actually learning anything.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »

But...tomorrow is Labor Day. I also don't go back till the fourth, so eat that. And I'm in America, in a public school. So yeah, not everybody has had to go back yet. Can't wait for this "high school" to be over.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 02:56:32 pm »

I could swear that 1st May is the Labor day, but it probably is about those wacky US again with their nonconformity.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:32 pm »

Yes, September 2nd is Labor Day in the US.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 03:37:26 pm »

We wouldn't want to be, y'know, damn commies, or conform to a world standard, even though May 1st commemorates a labor protest that happened in the States.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 03:07:46 am »

Unless something goes terribly wrong, my Wednesdays are looking really casual - only 4 classes for my group (of which there are two).
I'd explain more, but it would just result in confusion and me giving the Polish education system a bad name (not that it would be far from reality, though).

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 06:55:58 am »

Polish education is terribad already, therefore you can't make it worse :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Back to school thread: The world ends on 3 September
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:04 am »

Classes got assigned today (Well, they were assigned ages before this, but we didn't know it). I'm in the same class as some pretty cool guys of last year and my best friend, which is nice, I guess. My best friend jokingly said that he'd finally have a concurrent, because last year he was basically the best student in the class and the only one answering questions from the teachers.

Also, this new building I'm in may be less confusing than I think... Altough that'll have to come from experience, because somehow they managed to smash all the floors into one floor on the map, so the only designated hallways are stairs and we somehow moved from one end of the school to another without anyone noticing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:00:41 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
Re: Back to school thread: The world ends on 3 September
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 08:47:52 am »

Yep, the doomsday is tomorrow, and I have the worst day plan ever. I dont go on PE and religious education lessons, so why not put PE as the almost-last lesson instead of first or last? Almost every day? Makes me wait a hour wandering around the school aimlessly while a small change in the schedule could free my (and not only my) poor soul from agony. At least monday has religious education last, so I can enjoy freedom earlier, though thursday pulls off the same stupid shit with religious education being second-to-last. Wasn't it written somewhere that PE and religious education actually had to be the first or last lessons in a day? Fuck the polish education system.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4