Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 997575 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8685 on: September 16, 2018, 06:18:02 am »

"Vindicateddespair"

Use your fucking language son
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8686 on: September 16, 2018, 06:23:56 am »

Combining words like that is more a trait of the German language than of English though.

But since we already have taken schadenfreude and gesundheit from German, google tells me vindicated is bestätigt and despair is verzweiflung, so maybe "bestätigtverzweiflung"? Don't actually speak German so probably broke all of the grammar rules there though.

Plus it's too long and will not be as easily remembered by english speakers, whilst Gesundheit and Schadenfreude seem to have more staying power.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:25:59 am by MorleyDev »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: September 16, 2018, 06:29:44 am »

use your language
Love, scriver~

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8688 on: September 16, 2018, 06:34:58 am »

My language is already a bastardised mashup of the Germanic and Romantic languages anyway, making it more of a mashup is perfectly reasonable given the historical precedence :)

(Also there isn't really an alternative to "bless you" in English since even if it's lost the religious connotations, I just don't feel comfortable going around blessing people. So sorta forced to stick with the German loan word of gesundheit there. No, I don't think I'm putting too much thought into it.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:37:30 am by MorleyDev »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8689 on: September 16, 2018, 06:44:04 am »

I wanted to make a remark on that knife control law: I don't really know anything about the UK, but isn't a law like that, you know, kinda un-enforceable? Any prison anywhere can show you that anything even remotely sharp can be fashioned into a weapon. Doesn't take a genius to fashion something formidable that could pass through a metal detector. Honestly, a law like that seems like it's daring criminals to get even more bold and depraved than ever before, especially with that bit with the police funding getting strangled? I'm not even sure what to make of the whole situation, but it's fascination reading about it from you guys; all we have in America is hundreds of pointlessly cruel shootings every year.
I suppose it's more about giving police the power to arrest someone for having a knife rather than having the elimination of street knives as a realistic objective

My language is already a bastardised mashup of the Germanic and Romantic languages anyway, making it more of a mashup is perfectly reasonable given the historical precedence :)
(Also there isn't really an alternative to "bless you" in English since even if it's lost the religious connotations, I just don't feel comfortable going around blessing people. So sorta forced to stick with the German loan word of gesundheit there. No, I don't think I'm putting too much thought into it.)
Every time you say bless you just think of its origins in the black plague. Then it'll have metal connotations

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: September 16, 2018, 06:52:13 am »

I wanted to make a remark on that knife control law: I don't really know anything about the UK, but isn't a law like that, you know, kinda un-enforceable? Any prison anywhere can show you that anything even remotely sharp can be fashioned into a weapon. Doesn't take a genius to fashion something formidable that could pass through a metal detector. Honestly, a law like that seems like it's daring criminals to get even more bold and depraved than ever before, especially with that bit with the police funding getting strangled? I'm not even sure what to make of the whole situation, but it's fascination reading about it from you guys; all we have in America is hundreds of pointlessly cruel shootings every year.
I suppose it's more about giving police the power to arrest someone for having a knife rather than having the elimination of street knives as a realistic objective

So, an expansion of 'technicalities' so police can be justified doing whatever they want?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8691 on: September 16, 2018, 06:55:31 am »

It's more that British law with possession of weapons is very focused around intent.

Carrying a knife for 'self-defence' is still regarded as carrying a weapon with intent to use it to threaten, injure or kill another person. And that is the actual thing that is illegal.

Preemptive self-defence is not allowed as an excuse. Heat of the moment self-defence is fine, so if assaulted in your kitchen pulling a knife off the kitchen table would be perfectly allowed, though will probably result in you being temporarily detained by the police for a bit of time whilst they do the initial investigation and questioning (to both prevent you from fleeing or interfering with any evidence, allow them to question you, and to protect you by making sure no reprisals are likely). British self-defence law is actually surprisingly permissive on that front, despite what the newspapers like to claim. Benefit of the doubt is actively encouraged for judges in areas where it may be considered legally grey.

Hence, if a police officer sees someone with a knife out of packaging, or searches someone and finds one, and they don't have an immediate and obvious practical reason to be possessing it, they have to power to arrest/detain them and/or seize the knife under the reasoning that it's possession of a deadly weapon with intent.

For example, Scout Leaders are allowed to take a variety of knives with them on the scout camping trips, but are expected to go be responsible with them at all times (obviously) and to go straight home and put them away in a secure location as soon as they are done acting as Scout Leaders.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:08:34 am by MorleyDev »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:49 am »

Combining words like that is more a trait of the German language than of English though.

But since we already have taken schadenfreude and gesundheit from German, google tells me vindicated is bestätigt and despair is verzweiflung, so maybe "bestätigtverzweiflung"? Don't actually speak German so probably broke all of the grammar rules there though.

Plus it's too long and will not be as easily remembered by english speakers, whilst Gesundheit and Schadenfreude seem to have more staying power.

The correct translation of vindicated in this context would be "gerechtfertigt", so gerechtfertigte Verzweiflung. No way to combine those two, though. Sorry.
The e needs to be added to gerechtfertigt because Verzweiflung ("despair") is female, because what else would it be.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8693 on: September 16, 2018, 07:09:24 am »

So, an expansion of 'technicalities' so police can be justified doing whatever they want?
In theory, in practice the police mostly use it to scare kids into giving up knife and sword carry - the police'll arrest loads but like a 1/10th will result in something harsher than a warning, at least for people caught carrying the first time. It also has the social engineering effect of making carrying a knife a weird and taboo thing for law abiding society. Police can rarely do whatever they want, and are forced by logistics to just do what they can. Also basically everything MorleyDev said. In that regards I imagine it's much more about disarming the general populace than stopping criminals from acquiring knives, so that when normal people head down to the pub and inevitably have one too many pints, they don't end up doing something too stupid with a deadly weapon on their person

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8694 on: September 16, 2018, 07:27:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can confirm, in the UK ceramic, plastic, glass, stone and other non-metal knives are illegal (unless you're using them domestically for preparing food). There's loads of modern high tech ones like carbon fibre knives, plastic composites which are hard and durable as fuck, and they do see use in London in order to bypass the occasional random search from police, who have metal detectors at their disposal. Improvised non-metal knives and shivs aren't just hypothetical either, with police having even confiscated ones that were made out of plastic rulers. Sharp sticks have been used to kill man since man learned how to sharpen sticks ;P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: September 16, 2018, 07:33:46 am »

Sure, but you can bet there isn't a 1:1 replacement when people don't have the more convenient killing devices. Say you ban carrying of knives, and say 20% of the would-be knife murders get replaced with makeshift-shiv murders, that's still an 80% reduction. So, while replacements with knives-for-guns are possible and replacement of shives-for-knives are possible ... in actual practical reality, the bans do in fact massively reduce the relevant crime frequency.

"But one guy might still get shivved no matter what you do" is no reason to backtrack on all weapons control and let people open-carry any and all types of weapons, but that seems to be the anti-weapon-control logic in a nutshell.

If you don't personally carry a big fucking knife around with you everywhere then you're undoubtedly safer if other people aren't allowed to. And frankly, if you pull a huge knife in self-defense that's just as likely to backfire as it is to scare the attackers off.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:38:32 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: September 16, 2018, 08:00:13 am »

I was going to make some crack about repealing both knife and firearm bans at the same time, but I couldn't decide if the best example of that would be a musket with a bayonet, a gunblade, or a Sharps rifle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8697 on: September 16, 2018, 08:23:03 am »

Sure, but you can bet there isn't a 1:1 replacement when people don't have the more convenient killing devices. Say you ban carrying of knives, and say 20% of the would-be knife murders get replaced with makeshift-shiv murders, that's still an 80% reduction. So, while replacements with knives-for-guns are possible and replacement of shives-for-knives are possible ... in actual practical reality, the bans do in fact massively reduce the relevant crime frequency.
The ban is only as useful as your ability to enforce it, so we've not seen an 80% reduction, we've only seen increases whether measured by deaths, reported incidents or crime survey by guns and knives and other weapons (anything from utility items like hammers or sports items like bats, to other things like knuckle dusters). In actual practical reality, you can't control knives when buying knives from the grocers to amazon is easy as fuck. I don't want to give the impression that shivs are the issue here, since they make up an immense minority of confiscated knives and swords, with such improvised shivs being found in schools with metal detectors (I can't find any statistics regarding the seizure of non-metal knives, only a police officer saying they find them from time to time).

"But one guy might still get shivved no matter what you do" is no reason to backtrack on all weapons control and let people open-carry any and all types of weapons, but that seems to be the anti-weapon-control logic in a nutshell.
If you don't personally carry a big fucking knife around with you everywhere then you're undoubtedly safer if other people aren't allowed to. And frankly, if you pull a huge knife in self-defense that's just as likely to backfire as it is to scare the attackers off.
Imo I only see two reasons to support disarming the general populace; the first is that high rates of depression and gun ownership converts too easily into high rates of suicide by gun, the second is that low rates of gun purchases subsequently reduces the noise generated when security services are looking for signs of terrorist plots. I used to believe there was a third - that disarmed civilians allows for disarmed police, but our police had to rearm due to terrorism anyways, and their morale is at an all time low with thousands of attacks against police nationwide everyday.
Disarming the public and making self defence outside of the home illegal hasn't made the public safer, it's just meant that those who can't afford private security have to guard themselves - ironically, encouraging them to travel in groups and arm themselves. Bloody awful, reflected right down to the youngest kids wearing the most expensive sportswear they can find, since that signals they've got protection from a gang. Armed or disarmed populace doesn't seem to predict the level of violent crime that populace will face. I tell you what I think stops people from getting shot, stabbed, bombed, burned or acid attacked - is good policing, good communities. I'll wall of text on that later :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:25:39 am by Loud Whispers »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: September 16, 2018, 08:26:40 am »

I was going to make some crack about repealing both knife and firearm bans at the same time, but I couldn't decide if the best example of that would be a musket with a bayonet, a gunblade, or a Sharps rifle.

You can still affix a bayonet to modern weapons, theres just somewhat less of a practical reason to do so.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:46 am »

You can still affix a bayonet to modern weapons, theres just somewhat less of a practical reason to do so.
I know, but saying "rifle with a bayonet [...], or a Sharps rifle" is poor form, and muskets are the most classically correct bayonet mounts anyways.

And if you're putting a bayonet on something that isn't a longarm, then you're just playing Borderlands ya daft ninny.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 793