Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 683705 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4440 on: July 30, 2018, 10:46:42 am »

Yeah, ask any White American like me and they'll give you this fucking shite, "I'm 23% German and 17% English, 6% Hopi, 4% Seminole, 15% Dutch, 30% Italian, and 5% Grapefruit."

Like, no. You're a white guy who lives in America. You're American (Which is a self-centered thing to refer to oneself as when there's TWO Americas and like 90 fucking countries in them)
You actually fell into the trap there. The first one is a breakdown of ethnicity (Or... well, where their ancestors are from) and the latter is culture. Although there IS something irritating about people that say they're Swedish or French or whatever when that's simply where their ancestors came from.
And when they can't speak a word of the language, or even find the country on a world atlas.

I've met a number of Norwegians in America, people who are definitely full-blooded Norwegian because their great-grandmother on their father's side was from Copenhagen.

My black friends in public middle school didn't like BET either, but apparently there's a market for it...
Maybe because we are, of course, dumbasses ::)
Oh man, I've tried watching BET a couple times. What a train wreck. But, I mean, I'm not the target demographic, so there's that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: July 30, 2018, 11:40:26 am »

Why is it a decent number of people (Americans especially, from experience) seem to have difficulty differentiating culture from ethnicity? I've seen so many people that seem to think that if someone was black and adopted as a newborn baby by a white American family, they'd have "black culture" or something.

I think it's because up until very recently, say 50-70 years ago, ethnicity and nationality was pretty much concomitant to each other. You'd very rarely have a situation where if you did not have one you'd not also have the other. Most commonly you'd get people of half-descent from marriages over ethnic lines that then grew up with the nationality of whichever parent's nation they grew up in. These days, however, it's much less rare to see people who, for example, in America or Australia can claim to be ethnically Swedish but doesn't share a lick of Swedish culture or know a word of the language, and here in Sweden, we have people who was adopted from say China or India who aren't ethnically Swedish yet 100% nationally so.

It's also that being ethnically or culturally Swedish both share the word "being Swedish". So you got a situation where not only is these two separate concepts expressed in the exact same way but also have historically been seen as inseparate. That makes things confusing.

Of course, the timeframe above is for my swedo-centric ass. It doesn't make much sense for you Americans and colonial buttholes. But I guess also that race has pretty much dominated the scene for the last 200 or so years and put other group-concepts on the back burner.

Also that thing where Americans habitually strip all people who are even 1% visually African of all ethnicity or nationality and forces them into the "Black" pigeon-hole for all generations to come.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: July 30, 2018, 02:01:14 pm »

I think it's because up until very recently, say 50-70 years ago, ethnicity and nationality was pretty much concomitant to each other. You'd very rarely have a situation where if you did not have one you'd not also have the other.
"So, where are you from?"

"Oh, I don't have an ethnicity. I went to this ethnic cleansing spa in Stuttgart, so now I don't have any genetic history!"

"...aha."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: July 30, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »

Also that thing where Americans habitually strip all people who are even 1% visually African of all ethnicity or nationality and forces them into the "Black" pigeon-hole for all generations to come.
To be fair, in most casual conversation, we do that to most other groups too, basically shoving everyone into "White, Black, Middle Eastern, Indian, Native American, Asian" I'm not really sure why Indian is it's own group, that's just what seems to happen

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: July 30, 2018, 02:25:53 pm »

India is a subcontinent with distinctly different ethnic features from Asia proper.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: July 30, 2018, 02:37:20 pm »

India is a subcontinent with distinctly different ethnic features from Asia proper.
Right, such as the shared ethnic norms of Thailand and Mongolia.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: July 30, 2018, 02:38:09 pm »

Right, such as the shared ethnic norms of Thailand and Mongolia.

Well, I put my foot in my mouth there, didn't I?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: July 30, 2018, 02:46:38 pm »

To be fair, in most casual conversation, we do that to most other groups too, basically shoving everyone into "White, Black, Middle Eastern, Indian, Native American, Asian" I'm not really sure why Indian is it's own group, that's just what seems to happen

Nobody gets it as bad as black people though. You can have a person be 99% european/anglo/colonial, whatever you wanna call them and still be just "black" and completely denied both their European and African heritage. If you're 1% African you're 100% african, and if you're African you aren't Bantu, Mande, Songhai, or Hausa; not even Malinese or Nigerian or whatever, you're just a race, black. You get to have no history, no ties, and no roots. It's a complete stripping of cultural identity that I think probably goes back to slavery but is still being perpetuated against new emigrants from Africa today by way of the American folk-mind.

I think it's because up until very recently, say 50-70 years ago, ethnicity and nationality was pretty much concomitant to each other. You'd very rarely have a situation where if you did not have one you'd not also have the other.
"So, where are you from?"

"Oh, I don't have an ethnicity. I went to this ethnic cleansing spa in Stuttgart, so now I don't have any genetic history!"

"...aha."

If only the Nazis would have had this kind of hygiene in mind. Then all the cooky holocaust-denier conspiracy theorists with their "but look at this totally unedited foto of Auschwitz they had swimming pools" would be right.

Edit: Oh, and regarding Indians being a separate group - it's likely because they're Asian but still Caucasian. So they'd need to be separate from all the other Asian Asians for, who get to be lumped together because of enduring racist three-race ideas.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:53:17 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: August 04, 2018, 03:46:50 pm »

Has Toady ever commented on if the Dwarf Fortress dragon was inspired by Harryhausen's Taro? I saw it the other day and noticed they're very similar.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: August 04, 2018, 04:16:59 pm »

That page is... weird, such lines as "The dragon was truly a work of imagination, for such a design for a dragon was never quite shown in previous films" and the whole The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad page make me think this wiki might not be the most professional wiki out there...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: August 05, 2018, 03:55:29 am »

If all oxygen-producing life disappeared, and ignoring the fact everyone would soon starve to death or w/e, how long would it take us to run out of oxygen?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: August 05, 2018, 06:18:16 am »

I... don't think we'd entirely run out at all? Pretty sure there's non-organic processes that produce oxygen dottering around, and beyond that there's bunches of the stuff entangled with other junk. The air might go oxyflat, but something near half the earth's crust is apparently made of the stuff so you're going to have some hella' hoops to jump through to get rid of it all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: August 05, 2018, 06:27:11 am »

I... don't think we'd entirely run out at all? Pretty sure there's non-organic processes that produce oxygen dottering around, and beyond that there's bunches of the stuff entangled with other junk. The air might go oxyflat, but something near half the earth's crust is apparently made of the stuff so you're going to have some hella' hoops to jump through to get rid of it all.

Such as... a giant vacuum cleaner?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: August 05, 2018, 07:15:56 am »

Oxygen in the crust doesn't help, it's bound up in tight oxygen bonds.  It would take immense energy to get free O2 from minerals.

Atmosphere is about 5x10^18 kg, about 1x10^18 kg of it is oxygen.  A human breathes about 300kg O2 per year, so breathing only is about 7x10^9 * 3x10^2 ~ 2x10^12kg.  So if human breathing is 1/1000 of all O2 consumption (I'm just estimating that) it would still take 1000 years to deplete *all* the oxygen.  But we probably can't last that long, once the partial pressure gets too low we can't really function - so maybe 500-ish years?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:04 am »

Oxygen in the crust doesn't help, it's bound up in tight oxygen bonds.  It would take immense energy to get free O2 from minerals.
So... You're saying we should nuke the planet in order to free up enough O2 to survive?

NUKE TO LIVE
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 636