Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1561858 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Thirty plumbers and poems about sewage
« Reply #3675 on: October 13, 2015, 09:05:52 pm »

InternetAristocrat: *Chan takeover hijinks
Internet conspiracy drama about 4&8chan is entertaining.
The description says it best:
For more true stories visit: http://boards.4chan.org/x/

Except in this case the story is actually true, and it's just the implications of it that are being blown out of proportion.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3676 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »

And it wouldn't take a feminist to see that reply was sexist BS.
Um, the logical reason it is sexist is because a male prostitute is called something else or has a "male" prefixed.
A male prostitute is still a prostitute though

Sex has no bearing on one's ability to be a prostitute
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: October 13, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »

Um, the logical reason it is sexist is because a male prostitute is called something else or has a "male" prefixed.
A male prostitute is still a prostitute though

Sex has no bearing on one's ability to be a prostitute
That reply of mine was more or less meant to be a rebuttal because the sexism stems from the way the word is used instead of the idea in the word. The supposed distinction between a prostitute and a male prostitute that people will feel the need to qualify. The idea that prostitutes are to be assumed women.

The other name I came up with was gigolo but that seems to have more meanings ::).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This better be true. It had BETTER be true.

Wow! That's a bit unfair to cockmongers, isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:54:05 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:52 pm »

Ugh... are you serious?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: October 13, 2015, 11:18:16 pm »

Seemed more like a joke than anything. Maybe a bit sexist, but I can't see him meaning that in a sexist way. Unless he's one helluva cunt, which is understandable.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:37 pm »

Feminists are some of the most pro legal prostitution people I've ever known.
what is sex-negative feminism

lol k
I know what sex-negative feminism is actually, although I've never met anyone who claimed to espouse it.  Re-read my post.  I addressed sex-negative feminism and you cut it out.  It was literally in the same, two-sentence paragraph.  You have to be trolling.

As for everyone else... having a reasonable point is not a license to do whatever you want.  He was interacting with a woman in a professional setting and he treated her as a sex object.  In a very public setting no less.  Its the same dumb, entitled, common sexism that is behind a million cases of workplace sexual harassment the world over.  When people do period dramas and want to demonstrate in an exaggerated manner that a male character is a cold-war-or-earlier sexist prick, that's the sort of thing they write their characters saying.  Its some Mad Men shit basically.

Considering we aren't even talking about prostitutes directly and no one other than you has mentioned this, I'm... going to assume you're not trying to legitimately contribute to this conversation.

*puts thumbs on either cheek"

*waves lips and tongue, sending spittle everywhere*
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: October 13, 2015, 11:56:33 pm »

Feminists are some of the most pro legal prostitution people I've ever known.
what is sex-negative feminism

lol k
I know what sex-negative feminism is actually, although I've never met anyone who claimed to espouse it.  Re-read my post.  I addressed sex-negative feminism and you cut it out.  It was literally in the same, two-sentence paragraph.  You have to be trolling.

As for everyone else... having a reasonable point is not a license to do whatever you want.  He was interacting with a woman in a professional setting and he treated her as a sex object.  In a very public setting no less.  Its the same dumb, entitled, common sexism that is behind a million cases of workplace sexual harassment the world over.  When people do period dramas and want to demonstrate in an exaggerated manner that a male character is a cold-war-or-earlier sexist prick, that's the sort of thing they write their characters saying.  Its some Mad Men shit basically.

Again, I think rhe subtle insult to Austrailia's hard working gigolos and cockmongers is equally pressing
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: October 14, 2015, 12:06:21 am »

The General Peter Cosgrove story is mainly hilarious in how unlikely it is. General Peter Cosgrove was the head of the entire Australian national defense services (i.e. army, navy, air force chief commander). It's completely ridiculous to think that he'd be training boy scouts on his "base". Also, with the Australian gun laws as they exist it would be unthinkable to train kiddies in gun usage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: October 14, 2015, 12:07:55 am »

EH, I'm sort of offended by your assumption that men are explicitly excluded from being "normal" prostitutes when no other context is given. Any human being (or, for that matter, anything with a hole and self-awareness) is equipped to be a prostitute, but you just arbitrarily decided that men don't get to be counted among the ranks of sex workers. The quote (real or not is irrelevant) makes no reference to gender or sex--you imposed that based on your own prejudice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: October 14, 2015, 12:14:28 am »

he'd be training boy scouts on his "base".
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:10 am »

EH, I'm sort of offended by your assumption that men are explicitly excluded from being "normal" prostitutes when no other context is given. Any human being (or, for that matter, anything with a hole and self-awareness) is equipped to be a prostitute, but you just arbitrarily decided that men don't get to be counted among the ranks of sex workers. The quote (real or not is irrelevant) makes no reference to gender or sex--you imposed that based on your own prejudice.

...what?  Every single line of that image explicitly states that the interviewer is female.  The intro states it twice.  Every other dialogue heading states she's female.  The quote contains the word Ma'am.

Is... is there a joke I'm missing here?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: October 14, 2015, 01:47:09 am »

Is... is there a joke I'm missing here?
Yes. It is that you think it is sexist to equate guns turning children into violent killers to someone's sex turning them into a prostitute, explicitly if they are female. You are glossing over the fact that you consider something that can happen to both sexes sexism when it happens to one.

Yes this hypothetical was a professional setting. One where she indirectly (by saying 'equipping' and implicating possibility) said he was making violent killers and he rebutted using her "if you easily can, do" logic progression.

*puts thumbs on either cheek"

*waves lips and tongue, sending spittle everywhere*
Seeing as the source material mentions prostitutes what meanings we apply it to are important when determining whether using it merits being called sexism.
Also your mouth's invitation is noted, prepare for rooster(NSFW).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: October 14, 2015, 03:46:21 am »

To clarify: More or less ^

It's the assumption of "woman -> prostitute" being the logic rather than "person -> prostitute", the intrinsic belief that only women are "equipped" or naturally capable of being sex workers. To borrow a situation from the fake interview for the sake of example, it'd be like assuming that only boy scouts could be taught how to shoot and turned into violent killers because of course girls aren't capable of learning to shoot or commit willful acts of violence.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: October 14, 2015, 09:35:03 am »

Right.  That makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 879