Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 316756 times)

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Derm now discovered control. RUN.
« Reply #2595 on: August 09, 2015, 06:57:06 pm »

Fairly close to the objective. Silly green words. Anyways, continue testing!
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 09, 2015, 09:17:55 pm »

"Ahh! Please, spare me! I can, uhh, give you my research! I got, like, a page from a friend! Save me, and the knowledge is yours!"
Beg for mercy and try to crawl away from the void thingy.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:39 pm »

The dragon would respond if his mouth wasn't so full.
Murder
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 09, 2015, 09:48:44 pm »

Murder
"AHHHHHHHH!!!"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 09, 2015, 09:49:53 pm »

Cast a spell using two random words from the book, while thinking about (and pointing my limbs at) NAV. Then crawl away.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: August 12, 2015, 07:22:04 am »

((Fyi I wanted to tell Derm and Toaster to play nice / everyone to leave them to it))
(Typed from phone)
"Not here to hurt you man, but if you want my help with that hippo Im happy to oblige"
If assistance desired then hit the pinned down hippo with my rapier multiple times. If there is a scuffle then use my will control for more accuracy. Lets see how effective it is. If assistance explicitly not desired then ascend the stairs to fight one of the souled monsters/experiments/prisoners/whatevers
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: August 12, 2015, 07:38:07 am »

((Fyi I wanted to tell Derm and Toaster to play nice / everyone to leave them to it))

You mentioned an NPC, the only NPC currently in the game is the murderous hippo, and you already were in the same room as Der and Toaster, that's why I intepreted it that way.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: The Age of The Murderous Hippopotamus.
« Reply #2602 on: August 12, 2015, 08:58:57 am »

"No help. I've got this."

Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 12, 2015, 08:28:58 pm »

You mentioned an NPC, the only NPC currently in the game is the murderous hippo, and you already were in the same room as Der and Toaster, that's why I intepreted it that way.
No problem, I could have phrased it better. By Fight NPC I mean the challenge mode / fight npcs for souls / thing (clarifying just in case)
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 12, 2015, 09:11:03 pm »

-snip-

Okay, I'm sending you into challenge mode then.

By the way, PMs have been sent to those who still have to post an action.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribulations in Magic: Starting Challenge Mode
« Reply #2605 on: August 15, 2015, 01:55:57 pm »

Turn 126

Fairly close to the objective. Silly green words. Anyways, continue testing!

[Pot:3]
Nothing happens. Again.

A golden line appears and draws a rectangle.

Now a triangle is drawn.

[Pot:6]
A thick line appears, and draws a huge starfish, the size of your chest.

[Pot:6]
Now you get a pile of sand in front of you.

[Pot:2]
You get a golden line, which doesn't do anything.

[Pot:4]
Yet another golden line, this time drawing a bunny. Daawww... isn't that cute?

Murder
"AHHHHHHHH!!!"

Cast a spell using two random words from the book, while thinking about (and pointing my limbs at) NAV. Then crawl away.

ATHATH desperately tries to break free!

[End:6-1-1=4]

And he manages to bypass the pain and the loss of blood, and so tries to get freem from the dragon's grasp:

[ATHATH str:1-1-1=-1]
[TNI str:4-1=3]

But he is too flimsy to even attempt to get the vicious jaws away from his flesh! The dragon just shakes him around from his wound:

[TNI str:3-1=2] ((Again half damage, not enough to do anything))

But the beast just manages to barely move the helpless ATHATH around.

[ATHATH spd:2-1=1]
[TNI spd:5-1=4]

The dragon, before the poor bitten fellow can even attempt to do something, casts a spell:

[TNI pot:1]
[TNI dex:3-1=2]
[Beat your pot dex:6-1=5]

And he finds that he has done something wrong, really wrong. He feels uncontrolled energy in his mouth, going the wrong way. He quickly tries to do something, releasing his grip on the wounded ATHATH. A desperate struggle inside his mouth ensues, until a bunch of octariney light escapes through his mouth and explodes against the wall, not without dissolving a small part of his jaw.

Head lacks a little mass, but it doesn't have any penalties yet.

ATHATH then uses this opportunity to do something against the dragon. He quickly reads the first words that he can find in his set of papers, not even remembering which ones they are, because that is what happens when you are lazy and can't even choose random words for yourself:

[ATHATH pot:6]
A thick, golden line appears and draws a big dog, one that could easily be confused with a wolf. It disappears afterwards, without doing anything. Fuck.

At least he can still try to run away, he attempts to go towards the northern exit:

[ATHATH spd:2-1=1]
[TNI spd:6-1=5]

But the dragon quickly blocks his exit. Shit.

And the bleeding is getting worse each time, he feels that he is not going to make it.
Bleeding is now at [Heavy bleeding 1/3]

Drag the hippo to lava. Throw it in. Rejoice. Then give up magic for a more physically oriented combat.

Cranky still tries to push the thing around:

[Cranky str:2]
[Hippo str:1]

He manages to slightly push it towards the Magma Room. A pity that he still has to cross half the Grand Room and the whole Southern Hallway to get there.

"Heh. Hehehe. I can feel it! The the molten rock and the flowing water, I can feel it all! TOASTER! Heed my words, for I speak as your lord! FALL."

"I am... the... SPAAAAAAAACE WIZZAAAAAAAAARD!!!!"

End this charade.

[Derm spd:4+1=5]
[Thrakor spd:2-2=0]

Derm attempts again to hurl water at his opponent:

[Derm will:1]
[Derm str:3-1=2]

But he only manages to push the water of the pool onto himself, something which he was not expecting at all! The water pushed him further into the pool, and he is totally submerged, realizing that the pool is way deeper than what he thought. He can feel the water around him, how it collides with his body, and how it is disturbed by a presence other than himself:

[?? dex:4+1-1=4]
[Derm dex:6+1-2-1=4]

Derm's reflexes are sharp enough to feel two things trying to envelop him. He quickly stops them before they can hug him, and he notices that they are both hands, stone hands, with what seems to be a little bit of grass.

Shit, not that thing again. Its hands grab his, and it seem to want to push him around:

[?? str:4+1=5]
[Derm str:2-1=1]

And the thing easily pushes Derm out of the water. He can now clearly see the frowning stone face of The Keeper, two eyes made of a green sepal each. The thing is angry, and seems to remember him. Still it is not immediately hostile.

What will Derm do in this situation?

Thrakor, meanwhile, does some magic:

[Thrakor pot:3+1=4]
And a carpet of magma appears in a radius of a couple meters around him. A hissing sound reveals how all the plants are getting burned to the ground. He revels in the heat produced by the magma, in that it allows him to save energy and rub himself against the repair wall, until he finally recovers his legs and feet.

The stone giant lets Derm go after seeing this. His frowned face turns into a worried one, and he almost attempts to reach for the burned plants with his arms from the distance, but then his face becomes angry. It does a battle cry, the sound produce akin to an avalanche:

[Keeper will:6+2=8]

The creature jumps and falls with a perpendicular punch towards the ground, and a perfect cylinder of stone the size of the giant emerges just in front of it, as the floor around the impact is heavily cracked. Its free hand is immediately raised to hold the cylinder, making a grasping motion yet not touching it. As the cylinder levitates, the hand that punched is raised, and begins to make a swirling motion. Immediately, all the molten rock around, excluding Thrakor and the repairing wall, begins to levitate and float towards a point upon which it all accumulates in a big sphere of molten rock and carbonized plants. The creature quickly gestures, and the plant matter is separated from the magma sphere, which is quickly willed to enter into the crack where the cylinder came from. The stone giant then fuses the burned matter with the cylinder, shaping it into a staff with thickened extremes, and giving the charred plants life again, in the form of vines around it. He finally grasps his weapon. A tiny pebble that became loose is willed to levitate by one of the Keeper's fingers, and with the same finger it points Derm, the pebble being shot against him and landing squarely in his chest, with noticeable force. The creature then points towards Thrakor too, and he feels as if the Keeper's finger had physically touched, stabbed him in his chest. After choosing his rivals, the giant assumes a battle stance, his staff tightly grasped between his thick hands.

Optional boss engaged: The Keeper of the Grove

Quote from: Beirus
PM

While a stone giant with metaphysical control over plants and stones was threatening people a scant meters away from him, the Tribal fiend continued with his science:

[Pot:5+1=6]
A thick golden line appears, and then begins to draw some series of what seems to be stingers, attached in a way that they form a huge humanoid form: chained stingers making fingers, legs, arms. Masses of them constituting the body and the head. Overall, it looks like hugging this thing would hurt really bad. With a flash of light, it materializes into solid obsidian. Yet, for some reason, it seems to emit heat, like if it was hot inside. The cavities in the face of the creature are red hot, with some movement, like if something was flowing inside.

The first thing the humanoid creature does is to look around, trying to grasp all the information the universe is giving to it. Oddly enough, it fixates its sight on the magma man on the other side of the Greenhouse Room, watching it perplexed.

The tribal fiend interrupts its thoughts with a booming voice:

"YOU BELONG TO ME NOW! OBEY MY COMMANDS! I ORDER YOU TO STAND NEAR ME!"

"Why?" It asks, perplexed, and a little frightened. "Wha- What am I?", the stinger man says.

Robert is not really sure what to answer to him.

((*Sigh*. You want to control someone's mind? Well, get mind control. You want to play the puppeteer with something and manually move it? Get control for that material.))

If assistance explicitly not desired then ascend the stairs to fight one of the souled monsters/experiments/prisoners/whatevers

You slowly go through the long stone stairway. On top of it, there appears to be a line, dividing a circle. As you come close, is automatically opens, the line separating the two halves becoming the opening as each half recedes into the wall. You follow the steps further up, and you arrive to a chamber, made of stone, but with its walls covered in that repulsive golden energy. There is a bright floating sphere in the center of it, bringing light to the whole room.

"Welcome to Challenge Mode" You hear in your head, the monotonous voice of the guide sounding at the same time its head phases through the ceiling.

"Please, choose one of the following alternatives to start. Alternatively, you have a brief time to prepare. Indecisive participants will be forcefully expelled towards the ground. All of the following challenges award five souls."

You then find that a bunch of golden lines have appeared and became three different charts:

Name: "The Hydra"
Code: 1.1.1.0.1.0.10
Class: Biological experiment type O.F. codename: "Entropy"
Environment: Standard containment facility floating over negative matter
Precautions: Completely hostile. Not resilient but regenerative. Risk of regeneration becoming "entropic", causing unpredictable results.

Name: "SmartLight v0.1"
Code: 0.1.0.1.0.9.3
Class: Sentient device
Environment: Obstacle course floating over negative matter
Precautions: Eye-protection is advised to prevent disorientating flashes of light. The subject appears to deliberately cause them to provoke accidents, so handlers should never be confident. Quick reflexes, flexibility and maneuverability are recommended to bypass the tests of the obstacle course.

Name: "Mind disruptor v0.3"
Code: 0.3.0.9.0.1.1
Class: Biological/psychic weapon. Insubstantial.
Environment: Standard containment facility floating over negative matter
Precautions: It is imperative to wear headgear that cancels psychic waves, otherwise only strong-willed individuals may rival its power. It is a requisite for handlers to use specific gear designed to manipulate insubstantial beings.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NAV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ATHATH (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FallacyofUrist (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Starting Challenge Mode
« Reply #2606 on: August 15, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »

((I should no longer be a magma man that lacks legs.))

"Why'd you wake that thing up?  Scared to fight me alone?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 15, 2015, 02:13:04 pm »

"Toaster, go to hell."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: August 15, 2015, 02:41:03 pm »

Grab the hippo, lift it over my head, then throw it towards the magma room. Overdrive strength using both my pool points, plus rule of cool.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:02:59 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: August 15, 2015, 02:47:14 pm »

Grab the hippo, lift it over my head, and run towards the magma room, carrying it over my head.
Not likely to succeed. Even if you manage to lift the hippo, you will be incredibly slowed down.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 197