Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 800001 times)

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2430 on: May 19, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »

As I foresaw - the trading went smoothly, though it was unremarkable, and Autumn set in.  Work on the Cannon continues apace - though a shortage of mechanisms is delaying the construction of the containment system.  I have ordered more constructed immediately, which is going more slowly than I would like.  As I also foresaw, there were several Goblin Ambushes waiting outside, and an approaching herd of Skelk - I left them for each other (several cats were casualties).

I also foresaw the lurking thieves in our upper stockpiles.  There was a hint of irony in who it was to inadvertantly discover it, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The interloper was allowed to run off unharmed - professional courtesy, perhaps?

Meanwhile, "El Presidente" Kar had a little party.  Among our slaughterhouse animal pens, apparently.
Spoiler: Interesting venue... (click to show/hide)

What I did not foresee, was this:

I dispatched the military... gee, they've shrunk to three :-/   The battle was... I wish I could tell you it was epic.  I want to sing the praises of these brave dwarves.  The truth is closer to "Desperate."

So the Hellcannon has received it's first blood sacrifices... sooner than planned.   I...  I think...

I think it grows hungry.

I swear I can hear the echoes of faint thoughts from it's chambers, the stirrings of some primordial, malevolent sentience....

And I long to know more.

DIG DEEPER YOU BASTARDS.  The Hellcannon will be completed if it costs us every life in the fort...

Catalyst stalks about the fort muttering to himself, glowering at the walls and anyone he comes across.

---------

In other news, I'm having a little trouble keeping track of which bridges I have linked already and which I haven't.  I thought it would not give me the option to link the same lever to the same bridge twice, but sometimes that does not seem to be holding true.  Any tips for re-checking where a lever is and is not linked after it is done?  (bear in mind some of these bridges are 1 square wide and it is not readily apparent whether they are up or down.)

I am hoping to finish off my turn with a final push this weekend, sorry about the delays.  If nothing else I am dying to start my own game in the latest version.  Starting the topside construction so early was a mistake, it's bogged things down with a lot of unnecessary combats - and I just cannot seem to get the dwarves to go construct the final block of the damn wall and seal it again!  Oh... that gives me an idea:
(The dwarves refuse to finish the upper level of the cannon.  They swear it is cursed, after it claimed the lives of several masons.  I have never known such a superstitious lot in my life!  Maybe after a few more die of having a giant gap in their fortress they'll re-balance their priorities...Maybe I should just temporarily wall off the "barrel".  I'd install some of the bridge-seal controls I have been meaning to anyway, but those seem to be the slowest things in the world to construct lately.  Despite a ton of masons, miners, and mechanics, no one seems to be doing those jobs.

I expanded the WholeFort burrow to include the new areas finally, which has helped a bit, and released the miners from it, but things are still slow.  I think there are a lot of old injuries not healing - I should check whether our doctors a) are effective b) are adequately set up (I did make a point of buying more supplies for them) and c) even exist.

Short of individually checking each dwarf, I am not sure what I can do to improve labor efficiency.  Maybe its time to suck it up and devote an hour or two to micromanagement again.  Any suggestions would be appreciated though.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:47:38 pm by CatalystParadox »
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »

If you press (t) and hover over each lever, it will tell you if there are mechanisms attached to it

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: May 19, 2012, 09:55:10 pm »

It will remove already linked bridges from the list, but only after they are linked by the dwarves.

Generally, when I link levers to a lot of stuff I will add a couple link jobs and then wait until they are done and add more.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:06 pm »

It will remove already linked bridges from the list, but only after they are linked by the dwarves.

Generally, when I link levers to a lot of stuff I will add a couple link jobs and then wait until they are done and add more.

I guess I'll just assume the bridges that are still showing up even though I thought I had linked them were canceled, or I forgot them for whatever reason.  I have been setting a few link jobs, then waiting for them to finish and adding more - but there are so many that it is hard to keep track mentally and it requires a bit of verification.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

seanhl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:55 am »

Well damn, I didn't last long, did I  ::) could I get a second dwarf, same name, same profession, explain it as him knowing the family of my last dwarf and when I left this happened
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:15:49 am by seanhl »

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: May 21, 2012, 11:44:49 pm »

Oh... crapping carp.

Look what just arrived:

Spoiler: And look where she is (click to show/hide)

I... have no idea how it got in.  I thought the caverns were thoroughly sealed away.  In any case, we have 25 dwarves, and a military of one, no others qualified.  I'm trying to find a way to just seal off that area of the fort, but I CAN'T EVEN FIND MY WAY AROUND.

Maybe I'll lock everyone in the Hellcannon.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:38 pm »

Send me to fight it!  If I should fall, it will be a glorious death!  Either way, it'll buy everyone else some time.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: May 21, 2012, 11:54:43 pm »

Oh dear.

All according to plan...

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: May 21, 2012, 11:59:58 pm »

Oh dear.

All according to plan...

I think we just found ourselves a volunteer.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: May 22, 2012, 12:13:24 am »

Oh dear.

All according to plan...

That is exactly what he wants to have happen!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: May 22, 2012, 12:16:29 am »

Oh dear.

All according to plan...

Are you sure you want to lose sight of TAD by doing that?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: May 22, 2012, 10:08:15 am »

Oh dear.

All according to plan...

Umm, yeah.  I just volunteered.  Literally the post before Aussie's.
Ya gotta send me in, coach!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:17 am »

Looks like we are in for some Fun.

Oh dear.

All according to plan...

I also volunteer to fight against the evil bird.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

I'll kick it to death! Except I don't have working legs. Or arms. Maybe I can bite it?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32:56 am »

Looks like we are in for some Fun.

Oh dear.

All according to plan...
As do i, if i still live. But i want a crossbow and a spear. Love my spears.

I also volunteer to fight against the evil bird.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 208