_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5767040 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Celebrating one year of Space Based Idiocy
« Reply #13920 on: April 11, 2013, 06:02:39 pm »

"We meet again."

Manipulator punch little girl in the existence.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:53 pm »

"Thanks, Ms. Feyri!"

Give Ms. Feyri a hug and the copy of the picture.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13922 on: April 11, 2013, 06:48:32 pm »

Go to the first link on the results page.
Sorry I didn't bold it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: April 11, 2013, 10:10:30 pm »

What... wait. I need to be rational, a single coincidence can't verify that hallucination is accurate. I'll need more data...
Charles searches for the person who was sent here for jaywalking.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: April 12, 2013, 12:15:18 am »

As Stacy is floated out of the room, he has a thought.

"Aren't we all idiots to begin with? It is only with education that we become less so. Ah well."

Go off to VR, enter Tinker. Peruse the combat data on field manipulator overloads.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:36:45 am by Harry Baldman »

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: April 12, 2013, 08:48:59 am »

He is good. Pretty good. And that was an interesting use of the fast healing to boost speed and strength. Now I really think that I should train more.

Talk, always prepared to avoid any incoming attack form Gimp or Doc.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: April 12, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »

As per color, the plasma projector's spheres are many colors at once, most of them blinding. Not sure if we could get pure blue unless from plasma-fying a specific substance, like how neon lights work.

((You're closer with that example than you might think. Actually, you're right on the spot: Neon lamps glow because a charge going through them strips electrons from the neon atoms, turning it from a gas into a plasma, which then emits light by fluorescence. So really, for a blue plasma ball, you just need to use Xenon gas (Perhaps mixed with Krypton depending on what shade of blue we're talking), and strip it of its electrons. If you want it to actually be a hot plasma like what stars are made of (what is typically thought of as plasma, and it is, just not the only one), though, you'll need to use heat (duh) rather than something like the neon lamp's electric field.))
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:14:12 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: April 12, 2013, 03:36:36 pm »

As per color, the plasma projector's spheres are many colors at once, most of them blinding. Not sure if we could get pure blue unless from plasma-fying a specific substance, like how neon lights work.

((You're closer with that example than you might think. Actually, you're right on the spot: Neon lamps glow because a charge going through them strips electrons from the neon atoms, turning it from a gas into a plasma, which then emits light by fluorescence. So really, for a blue plasma ball, you just need to use Xenon gas (Perhaps mixed with Krypton depending on what shade of blue we're talking), and strip it of its electrons. If you want it to actually be a hot plasma like what stars are made of (what is typically thought of as plasma, and it is, just not the only one), though, you'll need to use heat (duh) rather than something like the neon lamp's electric field.))
((Just how much time do you spend researching this stuff? And does it come in any way from, or translate into real life? (Or virtual one beyond being a forum scientist.)))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13928 on: April 12, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT...
the automanip on the plasma projector for the containment field works on a Moving Target?!?
how??? it's not like the user of the gun holds perfectly still while the plasma ball is in the air after all.
shouldn't it run into the same problem i did when i wanted to be able to maneuver the plasma around via automanip?

ok, since the plasma projector uses a variation of automanip for the containment field, and those have a lifespan problem, i'll simply use the directional containment field/beam + prism field/beam from last time, quoting the relevant part for convenience:
look up various forms of immaterial containment and/or shielding fields developed. particularly look for methods of containing either heat or plasma effects that do not require surrounding the effect but instead curve their shielding around it, probably by having an array of devices clustered together, a few forming the shield itself, initially aimed mildly off-center, and the rest forming modifying fields that act similarly to prisms upon the shield effect, causing it to curve  as it passes the target area, forming a hollow sphere.
here, let me give you a visual, although i'm not any good at drawing:
Spoiler: ugly image (click to show/hide)
the more traditional repulse field (aka, a simple directional magnetic field) is optional if the shields can be crossed as shown in the image, however if they interfere with each other then uncrossing them and having the repulse field in the middle will be needed to protect the near side.
the prism is actually the entire area between the brown lines, i left them open to show what happens inside that area.
as shown, the far side will in general be much weaker, and this setup will have a lot of leakage into the area behind the fireball, probably interfering with electronics in the area.

this kind of design will have a significant problem traveling long ranges, but i'm not trying for anything like the long-range-artillery the plasma projector qualifies as. the nice thing about it is it shouldn't require any automanips to maintain the plasma ball, and it should be able to be moved in any direction by slowly adjusting the emitters' angles. it also simply uses a conventional power supply instead of needing the special batteries of manips, although it will probably be a bit of a power hog.

the plasma itself will be generated via automanip, but will not be contained or controlled by it.
Well, in that case the automanip create the field and then propels it forward. It doesn't continue to maintain it after that so the field degenerates quickly.

This was pretty much what I was talking about when it comes to putting it on the end of a stick or on top of a drone or something. You can contain the plasma but you need a physical base for these magnetic field emitters to sit on. And they need to be close to the ball itself. So with a staff or a drone you can have that. And in that case you can have the plasma ball and maintain it for relatively little energy, though you will need to keep it supplied, since the plasma will lose energy via heat and light, regardless of how shielded it is.

"We meet again."

Manipulator punch little girl in the existence.
[dex:1]
You punch yourself right in the face, blowing your own dang head off.

GAME OVER.

"Thanks, Ms. Feyri!"

Give Ms. Feyri a hug and the copy of the picture.
You give Feyri a hug and the picture, filled with childish delight.

Go to the first link on the results page.
Sorry I didn't bold it.
Ah, I thought you were talking to someone else. Sorry about missing that.

You chose the first link, an online encyclopedia. It states that the Battle of Hexbarax was a major battle in the Altered war because it marked the turning point in the war as well as being one of the most brutal ground battles in human history, resulting in the deaths of so many men and women that whole colony worlds were depopulated to fill the ranks of the attacking forces.

What... wait. I need to be rational, a single coincidence can't verify that hallucination is accurate. I'll need more data...
Charles searches for the person who was sent here for jaywalking.

You don't really know what to go on, other then that it was a woman. It could be may, or feyri or faith, or any of the other women on board, if there are anymore...you can't quite remember everyone. 

As Stacy is floated out of the room, he has a thought.

"Aren't we all idiots to begin with? It is only with education that we become less so. Ah well."

Go off to VR, enter Tinker. Peruse the combat data on field manipulator overloads.

You look over the data for the dam mission.

Oh. So thats why she didn't want to tell you.

He is good. Pretty good. And that was an interesting use of the fast healing to boost speed and strength. Now I really think that I should train more.

Talk, always prepared to avoid any incoming attack form Gimp or Doc.

"Yes, yes. There are of course limits to what you can do as you are, training or no. Humans eventually plateau. Regardless, what you should focus on is learning to use your weapon, specifically that monoatomic blade of yours, to it's fullest potential. That knowledge will aid you far more then anything else. Even a normal man can beat a god if he is skilled enough with his weapon.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: April 12, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »

((Just how much time do you spend researching this stuff? And does it come in any way from, or translate into real life? (Or virtual one beyond being a forum scientist.)))

((It takes me a few minutes, really. And most of that is my browser loading the pages I request. I see something that piques my interest that I might not be sure about, or rarely don't know about entirely, and I find out about it. It's my personality to seek information. Occasionally helps in reality, but it's really best when I have access to a source. I know enough to seek further, but usually not enough to confirm on the spot.))
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:07:40 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: April 12, 2013, 04:25:53 pm »

hmmm, how far away can i get it to go? for example if i placed the emitters on a belt could i get it to go anywhere within 5 feet of me or so? or are we talking more in inches than in feet? it seems like the range would be variable, based on how strong the emitters are. and like i said, i'm using a MUCH smaller amount of plasma.

EDIT:

what i'm thinking of here, it is seems the power drain rate would be variable depending on the distance the fireball is from the emitters. if i keep the fireball very close normally (maybe carry it directly above my hand? the same way i was carrying it most of the time in the illusion?), and only move it away from my person for short time periods (generally to either illuminate or ignite something), i think i'd be able to maintain the fireball a lot of the time without having to have a drone or stick or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:32:13 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13931 on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:59 pm »

((I just had an idea. You're trying to solve your problem through physics and technology and it's going to end up as something cumbersome, expensive and only usable as a lamp or short range weapon. However if you use bioengineering you can get what you want and for much less.

You can go to the Doctor and ask him for a pet. Tell him you want it round, with bio thrusters and the ability to appear as a ball of flame (probably by mixing two substances, probably gases that it expels from millions of tiny little holes). Also tell him that you want it to have dog like intelligence or direct control or whatever else you prefer. And finally tell him you want it to have at least the same level of protection as a MK1, so that it can survive in space. As for cost, we have the food required for the creature (which is free) and whatever it takes to convince the doctor to do it (making it sound interesting, "donating" a few body parts, convincing Steve that your balls are going to be the new and improved scout eyes, etc.). And then you have the possibility for upgrades: armor, small lasers, extra cameras or vision modes, smoke bombs, portable biolab, extra sensors, anything else the Doctor thinks would be fun, etc.

Just an idea.))

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: April 12, 2013, 06:14:28 pm »

"I said milk punk"
Point laser pistol at the guys face, calmly drink possibly radioactive milk.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: April 12, 2013, 06:47:35 pm »

Quote from: Message to Doctor
Would regenerating my body restore those enhancements you made to me?

Also, tell me honestly. How easy is it to make someone immortal to old age?

Message Doctor.

Examine synthflesh's structure closer. In particular:

-Check how that goo regenerates it.

-How much "free space" there is for other structures or materials in it.

-How porous it is, and how much making it more porous would compromise its strength.

Also try to locate exactly what process is used to make it, presumably on the net.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:51 pm »

PLAY AGAIN. PUNCH LITTLE GIRL FACE.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 2101