Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 676429 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2505 on: January 08, 2015, 09:15:12 am »

I had a summary post that explained all the character backgrounds but then google crashed and I'm not in the mood to do it again. What's giving you trouble?
I had read on Steelhold's lore and history, but that was a good while back.
All I know is that Corley is a bloodkin, bloodkin are bad, Corley is mischievous, and is trying to end Demongate.
The rest I'm quite blurry on.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: January 08, 2015, 09:28:13 am »

Thikut was Asmoth's daughter, she gained immortality at the age of eight and that (combined with her mother's unique approach to medicine) made her somewhat immoral. Nish led the Bloodkin forces in the lands of the First Iron. Rhaken's passage is a few hundred years before Demongate was founded.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:19 pm »

Rhaken have you ever considered writing a dwarf fortress story? As in completely fictional with only you writing but based on the game. There are stories like that
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: January 08, 2015, 05:40:22 pm »

Rhaken have you ever considered writing a dwarf fortress story? As in completely fictional with only you writing but based on the game. There are stories like that

All the time. I have so many ideas I don't even know where to put them. I've even considered novelizing the Steelhold saga and making it into a more cohesive plot overall. Hells, I've already worked out some neat stuff we can throw in if we embark by the ocean next time, and three possible dwarves I can work with.

The problem is time. There simply aren't enough hours in a day to read, write, make music, play games AND become a computer engineer while still getting more than 10 minutes of sleep. I shudder to think what it'll be like in a year or so when I have to write my thesis.

Thankfully, I have a handful of free days now. With some luck, I'll finish this wall-o'-text flashback in that time. It just kind of grows naturally at times. I didn't expect it to be this large when I got started, nor did I expect to write certain scenes that you'll see in the next part.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: January 08, 2015, 05:56:19 pm »

Honestly I think you should try to create a story I would LOVE to read anything you write but instead of doing what you did here which is write a ton of stuff but wait to post it. You should write a bit, post it and then continue writing when you get a chance. It would be cool if you did the Steelhold thing too I'm sure you could write the story awesomely.
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:02 pm »

Yeah, your writing's great.
Blows mine out of the water.
However, I do already have a dwarf and plot fragment for the port fort.
I'll think up one or two more just to be safe.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: January 08, 2015, 08:33:24 pm »

As long as you're throwing praise around, I suggest throwing some Asmoth's way while you're at it. The Thikut scenes are his doing, and they turned out pretty damn great.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Renugal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: January 09, 2015, 01:18:43 am »

I'd buy it.

Unrelated though, will you be using the newest version of DF or .34? It would be disappointing to get far along into the fort then just stop dead because a new update broke compatibility between versions.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.
« Reply #2514 on: January 11, 2015, 11:19:01 pm »

One more idea for the next fort: would people be interested in a non-standard turn order similar to the Dwarven Democracy thingie? Something like dividing the dwarves into factions (ie, Army, Workers and Farmers+Hunters) and for every triumph they get bonuses to the public opinion of the faction (like if the army routs a siege with no losses it's +5 PO, but when a baby gets kidnapped they get -1PO). Alternatively, player-made political parties could serve a similar function, with each party gaining a percentage of each groups public opinion depending on how many members of the party are in that group. At the start of each year, the most popular political group then elects an overseer from among themselves, but a dwarf can only be overseer once every three to five years.

This is just because it feels slightly weird when we're doing a story heavy fort and the person in charge suddenly cedes their power to their greatest enemy for no apparent reason.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: January 12, 2015, 08:54:38 am »

One more idea for the next fort: would people be interested in a non-standard turn order similar to the Dwarven Democracy thingie? Something like dividing the dwarves into factions (ie, Army, Workers and Farmers+Hunters) and for every triumph they get bonuses to the public opinion of the faction (like if the army routs a siege with no losses it's +5 PO, but when a baby gets kidnapped they get -1PO). Alternatively, player-made political parties could serve a similar function, with each party gaining a percentage of each groups public opinion depending on how many members of the party are in that group. At the start of each year, the most popular political group then elects an overseer from among themselves, but a dwarf can only be overseer once every three to five years.

This is just because it feels slightly weird when we're doing a story heavy fort and the person in charge suddenly cedes their power to their greatest enemy for no apparent reason.

I'm game.

Just so long as it doesn't turn into "the old guard reelect themselves continuously and prevent new players from taking a shot".

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:00 am »

Yeah, I was thinking of having the score of a party getting reduced by 10% for each year they've been in power to prevent something like that. I imagine most players will end up with their own party and allegiances in any case, so we should get a good mix of overseers.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: January 12, 2015, 09:12:36 am »

Yeah, I was thinking of having the score of a party getting reduced by 10% for each year they've been in power to prevent something like that. I imagine most players will end up with their own party and allegiances in any case, so we should get a good mix of overseers.

Normally yes, but everyone wants to be a part of my factions  8).

Nah but for srs, good idea m8.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: January 12, 2015, 12:29:13 pm »

Tentative layout:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A dwarf would only count as a member of a guild if it was their job title or they had the skill level Professional or better, and each political party gains a percentage of a guild's popularity equal to the percentage of that guild that are party members.

Example: the fortress has three weaponsmiths and one farmer that's a novice armoursmith, and ten warriors fully equipped with fortress-made arms.
Party A has one of the weaponsmiths as a member, so it gets ~17 popularity
Party B has the farmer, so they get nothing because he's not a guild member
Party C has the other two weaponsmiths, so they get 33 popularity

Parties would be founded by players and start with three members, gaining one member each year.
Parties can later merge or contain more than one player character to start with, but will only gain one member per year thereafter.
Alternatively, parties can form temporary alliances, in which the alliance leader gains one third of the popularity of its allies, and can also elect members of allied parties to power. Treachery will abound, hopefully.
A player can't be forced to join a party, but the party leader(s) can refuse to let another player join.
If there are multiple player characters in a party, they can attempt a coup to eject another player character (this may need some internal party popularity mechanic to have work properly).
You can't steal NPCs from another party, but other players can defect.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:35:08 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 172