Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3850209 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13215 on: March 28, 2013, 04:51:48 pm »

follow lars.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13216 on: March 28, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »

((Sorry about the state of the posts (this and the previous) I'm tired and busy.))

"Yeah, I guess you're right. No need to rush things. I was just a bit worried that there might be something dangerous that we should know about in sector 4."

((I didn't directly mention the spray gun-thingy IC so...)) "Oh, yeah, that would actually be very nice to have. My exosuit is quite powerful and the thrill of exploration does take my mind off it, but it does indeed become quite tiring to throw rocks, even when you can carry lots of them in your roboarm. However I fail to understand what May's pet lizard has to do with that."

((Nah, I don't think there are any tokens on the line for those projects, or my notes. Piecewise rewards either completion of bonus objectives (recovering artifacts, gathering info, etc) or things that are extremely beneficial to the mission or things that are amusing/awesome. The only project in my notes that I think may yield some tokens is the "radiation and electrical shielding in order to reach the center of Sector 6” stuff, and that is probably too dangerous.
The notes can be considered as Flint acting as Miyamoto's and Sinus' secretary so there probably won't be a reward for it and Flint won't accept any tokens from Miyamoto since he owes him a life debt.
Of course all this token talk is premature since it assumes that we survive the mission and so far we have only been on the planet a couple of days and mapped about 1/20th of it.))

((EDIT:Fixed spelling errors.))
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:58:22 am by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: March 28, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

((Do note that at the moment, I'm acting in a mostly reactionary fashion. You ask me something or ask me to do something, I'll respond, but I'm not initiating much other than map updates and status requests. It's one reason I've been so quiet recently.))

With teams going in and out of the base, take the time to synchronize all of the maps.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13218 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:05 pm »

Blue Team
Bishop wakes up feeling somewhat uneasy from the bad dreams, stretches a bit and puts his suit back on before heading to the garage.

"I suppose I best get ready to fix that hole I noticed earlier. It's not going to fix itself."

Get the required supplies to fix the hole and after the strange crap is gone, take a good look at the hole to see if there's anything left over. If not, fix the damn thing already.
You grab some metal plates, a tub of aerogel and a welder from the garage and go join the growing contingent of men standing around beside the hole in the infirmary hall. None of you do anything though, since the "strange crap" is still sitting around.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Gates of horn and ivory, in base

((I'm a bit surprised red team came back to base, since Michael [Corsair] is the only human there.))

"Hey, can anybody write a program for these drones so that they 'throw' themselves through certain points, if you have the time for it? You know something like bwoosh" Flint made a small fence with his one hand and a fist with the other. "tschoou" He then tried to imitate the sound of an engine cut-off as the fist flew in an arc over the fence. "bwoowoo" he said as the fist reactivated its engines and continued flying. "A system to detect anomalies would also be great from you MacGuyver people. Something like a rock thrower or even a spraycan attached on the drone so that it can tell where motion anomalies begin." ((Basically an IC way of requesting projects ''Drone anomaly sensor upgrade","Spraygun" and "Fast zone mapping drone" from my notes to be completed whenever you have the time. Later though, since the Medbay repair takes priority.))

Wake up. Place full sample containers in the vault. Refill equipment (Sample containers,Food and drink for 4 people for 2 days,4 automapping drones, cans of spraypaint). Examine the Manual Powered Vehicle (MPV). Look around for any camping equipment, like those self assembling tent things they sold on the sword. ((Some exploring while I wait for Anton to finish playing around with my exosuit.))
You restock and resupply before dropping your stuff off in the vault and heading to the garage. The MPV is basically an ATV but with pedals. It seems that it can be powered either electrically via a battery or manually via the pedals. The battery can be charged via the generator or by the pedals.

As per camping equipment, you can't find anything that looks like it was made for such things, especially not air tight surgical tents.
((Basically an IC way of requesting projects ''Drone anomaly sensor upgrade","Spraygun" and "Fast zone mapping drone" from my notes to be completed whenever you have the time. Later though, since the Medbay repair takes priority.))
((You do know that IC, those projects have already been suggested. And Bishop has already promised to build a dust gun. So you don't actually need to talk about it as if this idea has just come into your head, since we already discussed it.))

"Bishop, I understand that sealing this hole is important, but I wonder what happens if you get stuck. Because I feel this could drag on for a while. Maybe not in this case, but some other time. In those situations, should we just leave without you? Also, this doesn't apply to our current situation, since as Flint reminded us, we should probably get those projects built first."

Refill Supplies. Help Flint with looking around for stuff.

You help Flint in his futile efforts to find airtight tent.

Red Team

((Considering we are back at base now...))
Find those blue beady things and use slingshot on them (something to do at least)

((Sorry if you feel bored. Maybe I'm being too careful, but once the experimenting starts you'll have enough to do for sure.))

"If anyone would like to try and grab one of those residual glass-like object, I'll leave my pliers here. Best try not to touch those, I reckon."

Leave pliers in barracks. Then, try to program a drone so that it can directly stream its video signal to my suit, and so that I can control it remotely. Once that works, get back to the visual anomaly and try to map the edge of it using the drone.
You modify on of the drones to be able to be manually controlled and driven around via the feed in your suit; though doing so has made it as finicky and potentially crash happy as the normal scout eyes.  And are you sure you want to clank all the way back out there on your own?

Keep following the leader
((Considering we are back at base now...))
Find those blue beady things and use slingshot on them (something to do at least)

You join the increasingly large number of people just staring at those strange rocks. You take a few potshots at them with your slingshot but they don't react in any way. Well, they get hit by rocks and move a little because of it, but they don't react in any sort of abnormal way.

Green Team

push lars into a volcano  build a pumpstack   go fishing for magma carp

walk around and use echolocation to map the area, maintain minimal safe distance from thermal vents and other such things.

follow lars.
"What? Why? Oh fuck it."

Scan anomaly with weirdvision, don't fall in.

((And yes, the MKI's are insulated enough to take a bath in molten metal. Or at least enough to make a cast from it.))
Brother Lars looks around, happy that his squad is filled with holy energy.  "Onward, men, in the name of Steve!  We shall trek deep into this anomaly!  May Cog-Azaon grant us understanding of this world!"

Head deeper into the anomaly, toward the center.  Don't fall in.

The team continues forward, all of them being very careful not to blunder into any of the open lakes of molten iron or down into one of the heat vents. Pirate vision reveals nothing inherently odd about the place; it seems to be nothing but a volcanic area, strangely concentrated but otherwise mundane. The exploration continues until they come across something moving near one of the lakes. It looks strangely like a Woodlouse, though several feet long and a foot or so tall. It drags itself along the stone, leaving a smooth track behind it dotted with strange, semi circular lumps. There are more, similar creatures scooting around the other pools near by.

Base Team

((Do note that at the moment, I'm acting in a mostly reactionary fashion. You ask me something or ask me to do something, I'll respond, but I'm not initiating much other than map updates and status requests. It's one reason I've been so quiet recently.))

With teams going in and out of the base, take the time to synchronize all of the maps.
You take all the data you've got so far and recompile the map.
http://i.imgur.com/j4S5tGk.png

((Aren't even MkI's essentially insulated against heat to such a degree that you could take a bath in molten metal without adverse effects?))

Anton waits. Help doesn't arrive, apart from a likewise inadequately protected Mesk. "Might as well be watching paint dry. Translucent, radioactive blue paint." Flint's transmission reaches him just as he's about to try something stupid, like shooting one of the grains with a laser to see what happens. "Roger that, Flint, and thanks. Should come in handy." Leaving Mesk to watch the artifacts, Anton goes back into the base.

Go to the Labs, find a few sample containers labelled "Radiation-Shielded". Failing that, just grab anything opaque and metallic that looks like it can do. Go to the Garage and get into Flint's exosuit. Familiarize myself with controls and walk back out to the infirmary umbilical, sample containers in suit's manipulators. Proceed to stuff artifacts into containers, if possible without touching them. If containers not adequate to reduce radiation levels, move them away from the base until Mesk reports that radiation levels are acceptably low for the infirmary to function. Keep a watchful eye on the artifacts(or containers, if opaque) at all times.
You grab a few of the non-see-through sample containers and head back to the garage and hop into flint's exosuit. It's a simple thing to use, simply reacting to your motions like a MK III. You clank over to the hole in the umbilical and start scooping up the beads using the sample container and a bit of stone. You hand one of the filled containers off to mesk who scans it and reports very minor radiation levels, well within suit safety and even safe for standing around naked, as long as you don't do it for a few days on end.  You get all the beads out of the planet surface side of the hole, but the umbilical itself is still radioactive. You sneak a peak inside and see that, in the umbilical itself, is a large chunk of something glowing quite powerfully blue, surrounded by more of the beads and bits of black stone. Hmm.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: March 29, 2013, 09:38:38 pm »

"Holy shit. We found life? Or something aproximating it."

Scan the the lice. Prevent anyone from getting closer, or attempting to interact with the lice.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: March 29, 2013, 09:49:37 pm »

what do you think these creatures eat? I havent seen anything resembling plantlife yet...

record as much footage of the magmalouse as possible, attempt to devise a way to capture one at a later date.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: March 29, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »

"Probably eat the rocks, or the magma. Or they don't need to eat. It is alien."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: March 29, 2013, 10:53:10 pm »

"The gods bring life where they see fit.  Leave them be- do not approach them.  We'll go the long way around.  Morul, please inspect these things and we'll be on our way."

After they get scanned, go the long way around to avoid them while still headed toward the center.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11:34 pm »

"Interesting... well not really wonder what happens if I...."
Use a nearby non fragile non essential tool to mash the blue ball things
"OK, ok I won't smash them... I don't see anything wrong with smashing them....I am going to go and map that area I found at the beginning of the mission with a drone."
Go and get a drone and get Alvin to pilot it to the area I visited first with the large amount of radiation but only skirt it. If it crashes go out and pickup the pieces.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:08:10 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:53 am »

"Listen to Brother Lars, leave any life you find well alone and hope it does the same.  You... uh, [Corsair's character]!  Stop right there.  I've already warned you to stop doing stupid shit, and smashing an unknown substance falls under that category."
Check radiation levels around the glowing blue thing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13225 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10:43 am »

"Well, fantastic. Just our luck." Anton looks the wall over. "If I try to break a hole large enough to grab the stone with the suit's arms, it'll take more than a few metal plates to repair. So the only choice is to work from within after all." He turns around and walks back into the base, opening a channel to Simus and Miyamoto as he approaches the entrance to the damaged umbilical. "Team leader, XO, I'm going to need some cooperation from ALVIN, since it can operate this place easier than I can. If either of you can spare a moment to give it some orders, it'll greatly help speed up the repair of the damaged corridor and restore our access to the infirmary. I need the bulkheads or airtight doors nearest to the infirmary corridor entrance temporarily shut, and all atmosphere within pumped out into the base's stores. There's a large chunk of radioactive anomaly sitting in the infirmary corridor, and the least painful way to get rid of it is just stuffing it out through the hole it broke in, and I don't want to lose any more air than we absolutely have to. Once I'm done doing that and have carried the thing off, everyone else can start patching the place up."

Communicate with team leaders. If they don't respond or don't take action, attempt to give the same command to ALVIN myself. If the corridor is safely depressurized, open the door to the corridor and push the radioactive chunk back out through the hole, warning teammates outside as necessary, then get outside, stuff the chunk into a container and carry it away so that others can work.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:12:34 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13226 on: March 30, 2013, 07:20:23 am »

Flint Westwood - Blue Squad - In base

Plug the MPV in the generator if it isn't already charged. Check how many people can be on the MPV at the same time. Check if I can pedal with my exosuit. Check if I could use the spare parts in the garage (wheels, bars, sheets of metal, etc) to make a flatbed for the MPV large enough to carry three people and a few days of supplies. See if I can use more metal sheets and some kind of foam or glue to make an airtight trailer where we could sleep. Send the following message to ALVIN:

Quote from: Flint Westwood to ALVIN
Hey there ALVIN! Everything OK? Are you functioning normally? Not bored or anything? Anyway, can you please estimate whether or not the vault can contain the radiation produced by the object in the infirmary corridor?
((It's probably better to just bury it somewhere outside and pick it up while leaving, but I'm just curious.))

((@Radio Controlled: By the way, is Gilgamesh a he, a she or an it? Nothing important, just asking about how I should refer to him/her/it in my notes.))
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:12:23 am by Parisbre56 »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: March 30, 2013, 07:48:43 am »

"Great, just great. Well, if we can't store the damn thing, we can always just chuck it in the gravity seep and keep the fragments. I'll fix the hole when you're done."

Keep a good healthy distance while the radioactive chunk is still lying around and when it's gone, fix the hole and check it for leaks. While waiting, contemplate the design for a simple handheld grabber/claw on a stick that we can use to move stuff like this later.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: March 30, 2013, 07:57:59 am »

"Lets not get near those."

Follow lars.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: March 30, 2013, 09:09:04 am »

Sure, although if it can be safely contained in the lab's vault in such a way that it doesn't irradiate anything else we stick in there, that might be a better place.

Quote from: Text to: ALVIN
Can you cycle the air out of the corridor leading to the umbilical that leads to the infirmary, so one of us waiting there can retrieve or dispose of the object that broke into there?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1256