Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9518 9519 [9520] 9521 9522 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13400619 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142785 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:37 am »

Sure, it's not graded from absolute zero. But we have temperature units graded from absolute zero, and almost nobody uses them, because they're not actually very useful. ps Kelvin is in fact more bullshit than Celcius, since it really has not business being linked to the boiling and freezing points of water. Use some planck value as the basis.

Kelvin's used all the time in thermodynamics. If you're trying to quantify average molecular motion, having the zero point be literally zero entropy and thus zero motion makes intuitive sense, and having a scale that doesn't change sign simplifies relating temperature to energy. Twice the temperature of 20 K is 40 K, but twice the temperature of 20 C is 313.15 C. (Incidentally, the Kelvin and degree Celsius already de facto defined by the Boltzmann constant, and will be so formally as of May 20.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142786 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:56 am »

1 minute ago I was going to the bathroom and a mouse fell on the back of my neck, in the dark. How the f. did that happen? Freaked me the hell out but I'm glad it was a mammal and not some insectoid monstrosity.
It's okay. It was an insectoid monstrosity wearing a mouse skin suit. Best of both worlds!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #142787 on: February 13, 2019, 12:01:22 pm »

My apartment sometimes gets small, mostly harmless roach looking bugs that can climb on walls.  They hide somewhere dark whenever the lights are on.  One time I lifted a ricemaker and saw a bug under it.  Said bug was so blinded by the sudden light that it visibly stumbled around as if it was drunk... and then fell off the countertop and fucking died.  I did not know it was possible for a bug to fuck up that badly.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #142788 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:35 pm »

I may have had some success in dodging targeted advertising. I just got an ad suggesting gynecologists in Latvia. I am not in Latvia and have no plans to visit the country, and I have little need for a gynecologist, for a rather obvious reason.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142789 on: February 13, 2019, 01:22:39 pm »

I may have had some success in dodging targeted advertising. I just got an ad suggesting gynecologists in Latvia. I am not in Latvia and have no plans to visit the country, and I have little need for a gynecologist, for a rather obvious reason.

You.... are a gynecologist?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142790 on: February 13, 2019, 01:36:38 pm »

Declawing cats is frowned upon and illegal in some places?

It has been a while since I got a new cat, but still.
They say it should be avoided as cruel.
How do you avoid strangling the furniture mauling cat?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142791 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:15 pm »

Our cat knows not to do it, and is provided with ample alternate scratching items. Never really been a problem.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:13:16 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142792 on: February 13, 2019, 01:55:54 pm »

That, mostly. It's not been terribly difficult to get a cat to not maul furniture, in my experience. Give other things, do normal cat startling things (water, loud noises) if they go after the valuable stuff.

My family had a couple declawed cats at one point, got them from folks that couldn't care for 'em anymore. They were... kinda' pathetic, honestly. Like, they were sweet enough felines but they lose something when the claws are removed :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #142793 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:33 pm »

Our cat is provided with ample alternate scratching items, gets yelled at every time he scratches anything and still does it, the cocky bastard. I think he likes the attention.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142794 on: February 13, 2019, 01:58:16 pm »

My cat never really clawed furniture as long as we kept her claws trimmed with a nailcutter.  I'm pretty sure that's why they claw things, the claws get too long and sharp.

She seemed to like the trimming process, except maybe the first few times.  Though if you cut too short it hurts them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #142795 on: February 13, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »

Though they say "doctor, heal thyself", a good doctor trusts their peers and avoids self-treatment whenever possible.

However, I do now have a theory on why I'm shown the ad: my browsing history has a variety of occult and religious stuff in it. It's a horrifying thought, but I can think of a reason why a male would want to visit a foreign gynecologist... I really hope that's not it, but it would make terrible sense.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142796 on: February 13, 2019, 02:30:41 pm »

they lose something when the claws are removed :-\

Specifically, they lose the first joint of all their toes (or toe beans, per Internet parlance). This can lead to lameness, bone spurs, lasting pain and spinal complications, since their feet don't work the same way.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142797 on: February 13, 2019, 02:35:06 pm »

Specifically, they lose the first joint of all their toes (or toe beans, per Internet parlance). This can lead to lameness, bone spurs, lasting pain and spinal complications, since their feet don't work the same way.

And litter issues. If you're a heartless bastard and have their foot fingers amputated at the last knuckle, you can at least understand "I get to wipe up piss and pick shit off of my floor for the remainder of their lives."

Take it from me. We adopted two cats. Both were declawed at some point before we got them. They occasionally decide they don't like the box.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142798 on: February 13, 2019, 03:11:58 pm »

Though they say "doctor, heal thyself", a good doctor trusts their peers and avoids self-treatment whenever possible.
*rotfl*
This is a meta rotfl btw. I'd rotfl on general terms because I disagree in principle, but it's also meta because some.environments are specially unreliable  8)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #142799 on: February 13, 2019, 03:45:46 pm »

And litter issues. If you're a heartless bastard and have their foot fingers amputated at the last knuckle, you can at least understand "I get to wipe up piss and pick shit off of my floor for the remainder of their lives."

Take it from me. We adopted two cats. Both were declawed at some point before we got them. They occasionally decide they don't like the box.
Nah, clawed ones occasionally decide that too. Mine is a perfect gentleman most of the time, but his gentlemanry goes on the fritz every once in a while.
Pages: 1 ... 9518 9519 [9520] 9521 9522 ... 10987