Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2214455 times)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9480 on: November 04, 2013, 06:14:45 pm »

Found them, Talvi has it named "Test Mod" with the subscript "Nothing to see here". Which is why I was having trouble.
"In case of stairs, use fire"

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9481 on: November 04, 2013, 06:18:43 pm »

aye me to...my com is several years old, can still play dwarf fortress okay...just havent run into the fps problems...that and im still at the damn trade school untill april or may...so dont expcet me to be able to play SB2 untill then.

Well my problem is slightly worse this is nearing a six year old laptop and being both of those things it probably just might light on fire from looking at DF. Once I get a actual good desktop again I will be doing my damndest to get back into DF again.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: November 04, 2013, 06:30:59 pm »

The sad thing is: I can run the end of Spearbreakers on my computer fine, even old versions before the cleanup.
By fine I mean NO slowing. However, I cannot upload saves.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:11 pm »

aye me to...my com is several years old, can still play dwarf fortress okay...just havent run into the fps problems...that and im still at the damn trade school untill april or may...so dont expcet me to be able to play SB2 untill then.

Well my problem is slightly worse this is nearing a six year old laptop and being both of those things it probably just might light on fire from looking at DF. Once I get a actual good desktop again I will be doing my damndest to get back into DF again.

On my four year old pc, DF runs fine, even with Stonesense and Soundsense running alongside. I even got an older version of DF running on a ten year old PC, but the framerate was beyond abysmal.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »

hey, atleast its not a 10year old laptop. dear LORD that thing lags.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: November 05, 2013, 07:19:58 pm »

I thought my computer was decent, but then I realised that I've been playing for about 2 hours straight on my test fort and am currently in mid-summer of the first year. ;_;

My sister's new laptop runs better than this thing, and it's not even very high-end.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: November 05, 2013, 11:36:52 pm »

Whoa... this thread flies fast. o.o I've been dealing with RL issues for a bit, but seriously, guys, wow. lol   I read a number of pages, but still have some left before I'm caught up.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: November 06, 2013, 01:48:03 am »

Whoa... this thread flies fast. o.o I've been dealing with RL issues for a bit, but seriously, guys, wow. lol   I read a number of pages, but still have some left before I'm caught up.

ahhhhh! talvi! Good to have you back again!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: November 06, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »

ahhhhh! talvi! Good to have you back again!

;_; I thought you vanished again don't do that man I concur.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: November 07, 2013, 12:05:40 am »

I keep meaning to keep up to date on this fort, but I have the stupidly bad luck to always try checking when the forums go down. >.> Never mind my miserably bad memory.

... I also see that the fortress has ended. I have a few pages to catch up on, it seems...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: November 07, 2013, 12:24:30 am »

Yes, it is I, Count Talvadisappearedagainula. Velcome to my castle.

Nah, how could I stay away? I've just been a bit worn down lately, is all... passing out at ten PM really hurts my old habits of getting online after twelve. Starting work at six really hurts my old habits of getting on in the early mornings.

Also, Rock, Paper, Scythods deserves an award. (Not just saying that because of the Scythod part, noooooo, indeed not.) And yes, Scythods are Scythods, not scythoids.

If Splint is actually okay with the the mod being handed out, then I might as well post a link to our handiwork. Credit goes to Mr Frog, Splint, myself (yeaahhh, I'm full of it), and DarkFlagrance, if I remember right. I think we're using part of one of his mods. Also, the Jackborgs are (VERY) loosely modeled after golems from Masterwork DF.
But without further ado, Here it is, for your benefit.

also, I have since learned Java, so provided I can scrape together the time, we might have something runnable on all platforms, including linux for once... which reminds me, I need to revisit that old mod thread of mine.
(The above referring to the randomly generated radiation mod, which, by the way, the esteemed Mr Frog is at least mostly responsible for.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:27:38 am by Talvieno »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: November 07, 2013, 12:47:12 am »

Double posting with a more typical Talvi-just-returned-from-an-absence post.

Is "frog moss" going to be included in the mod? It could be a gather able plant (not farmable) that brews into an alcohol which causes nausea, disorientation and increased skill gain. (If everything that's been said about it is canon)
*blinks*

Wait, is frog moss a thing now? Has absolutely every single silly joke I made both in- and out-of-character now officially managed to become entrenched within the canon?

E: I'm assuming this derives from the small gag I did with Mr Frog trying to brew cave moss.
Yep, frog moss is in. I couldn't resist. I can't remember the specifics, besides temporary dizziness, and a guaranteed trip to the hospital - if anything took effect. Funny how dwarves are like that. "Doc! Doc! I'm high! I need a kidney transplant!" "Sure thing, Urist, which side do you want your new liver in?" "Uh, hard to tell which is which - I'm high!"

EE: Also, Asea is both spelling and punctuating correctly and has just managed to possibly correct me on a gameplay fact. *sniff* I'm so proud.
Asea is awesome. Can't be denied.

Oh god, ever see something you did once and just scream at how bad it is?

Every. Day. Of my life.
Same here.

I'm torn between Brokenspears and Spearchains. Brokenspears is nice because it's a continuation of Spearbreakers, but it's also a bit too similar.
I'm gonna give my vote (for what it's worth) towards Spearchains. Has a nice ring to it.

IN RESPONSE TO FROG BANSHEES (or frog-shees, or however you like it)
totally random, but I had basilisks that turned dwarves to stone after making them bleed everything out onto the floor in less than a minute. Was bloody good fun.

Gloves Off: Kill a scythod one-on-one without using weapons. [credit:Cynm]
Good luck with that...

Dinner and a Show: Release a caged manamaid into a dining hall, while a party is in progress at said dining hall, and have it dance.

Lord of the Dance: Have a manamaid dance for a megabeast or semimegabeast, then kill the beast while its eyes are still bleeding. It doesn't matter what happens to the manamaid.
I lol'd at both... really needed a good laugh.

Not a Fan: Kill a manamaid before it can bust any sexy moves. [credit:Cynm]
catapults are your best bet. Arrows and railgun rounds don't fly far enough.
tl;dr: This is not some kind of contest to see who can make the most ridiculously-overpowered character, for God's sake. There is no 'winner' in Spearbreakers, but there are losers, and they are the people who make hax characters that are poorly-written and annoying for others to work with.

But... but... :(

RE: FROG VAMPIRISM
Ummmmmm... could be interesting, but detracts from the awesomeness of the Frog, in my opinion. While he MIGHT make himself a vampire, something tells me there would be a perfectly logical reason for him not to. Then again, he had no qualms with it in the past. Then again...
What about his merlot.

If memory serves the copy has become a much more stabler and "normal" individual due to prolonged exposure and operation with the Everoc natives while the original is the one who is the one with questionable personal morals and whatnot.
Yeahhhh, that's pretty much how it went. I also distinctly remember Mr Frog not liking that. I also don't like the idea of killing EITHER Mr Frog. If one is going to go for Vampirism, it would be the original over at Eris. Seems like his cup of tea. (no pun intended, unlike above with the blood.)

*nods*

dwarven shotgun time...a pointless but maybe usefull epic weaponization of a minecart that i cant possibly do....

*nods*

someone do it!

For SPEARBREAKERS!!!
I've done it. It was fun. And FUN. Especially with the issue of reloading mugs. Wow, that was a fun fort. Blood everywhere.

Found them, Talvi has it named "Test Mod" with the subscript "Nothing to see here". Which is why I was having trouble.
Heh heh heh.

AND FINALLY!!! Jack Magnus, you've been immortalized with robots. Congratulations.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:28:38 am by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: November 07, 2013, 01:01:48 am »

@Talvi:

That sucks. Hope things finally get back into order eventually. I'm really happy that you have a job, though.

I'll list you as 'against' for one of the Frogs becoming a vamp. (Poop.) I'd like to pretend that your opinion on the matter doesn't mean much, but as far as I'm concerned yours is pretty much second only to Splint's (comes with the territory of being awesome). I guess I just don't like the idea of my characters growing old and dying, as immature as it sounds; this is the first time I've ever really had to come to terms with that.

In defense, I do think it'd be cool to have the two Frogs become dramatically-different characters now that it's been brought up, and having one become a vampire (a decision which the other would likely not approve of) would factor into that. And there'd still be the clone Frog if you need a more Badass-Normal-y character.

I don't like the way the two Frogs have developed in my absence, no, but that's more because it wasn't my decision than anything else. This may come as a shock to some people, but I am ever so slightly a control freak. Now that I'm more-or-less back in the saddle (or at least on my way there), though, I'm willing to work with the decisions others made in my absence.

I still find it funny how everyone's coming back after the fort concluded :V  Missed ya, Maggie!

E: Also, that bolded-underlined rant wasn't directed at any of your characters, Talvi, trust me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:59:36 am by Mr Frog »

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: November 07, 2013, 01:08:55 am »

AND FINALLY!!! Jack Magnus, you've been immortalized with robots. Congratulations.

I definitely recall reading about Jackborgs a few times in the past (amazing name, by the way). I really am glad that I had the nerve to actually start posting and ask to be dorfed, because the adventures my character went on were definitely... far above and beyond what I had expected.

I'll do my best to hang around and post in the topic for Spearbreakers II (and if I don't post, I will still be reading it). Just... thank you - all of you - for this entire topic. I'm honored to have been a part of it, even if it was a small part. :P

@Mr Frog: Glad to be back, even though I'm a few weeks late. >.< Better late then never, I suppose.

Better post this before any more messages pop up while I'm typing. That hasn't changed, I've noticed. :3

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:05 pm »

E: Also, that bolded-underlined rant wasn't directed at any of your characters, Talvi, trust me.
That distinction falls to me. My piece was unremarkable at best, and I don't have much time to commit to my own projects anymore, so don't expect to see much of me round these parts. I'll just enjoy whatever you all put together from now on. It's been quite a ride to say the least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 815