Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1247434 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #9585 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:08 pm »

I think the big problem peoe have with AI is that they jump straight from "dumb AIs of today" to "skynet of 40 years from now" without considering that we have 40 years in which we will be fixing problems that show up in developing AIs. I don't know about you, but personally I would rate "development of an urge to extinguish the human race" as a major problem to be fixed in beta testing. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: February 25, 2015, 04:56:55 pm »

It depends on whether or not you think there's any point to be alive in a universe that doesn't need you.
Yeah, being alive gives opportunities for doing stuff. Can't have fun if you're not alive.
This is super simple stuff.
But what if there are robots whose job is to have fun for you? :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:54 pm »

It depends on whether or not you think there's any point to be alive in a universe that doesn't need you.
Yeah, being alive gives opportunities for doing stuff. Can't have fun if you're not alive.
This is super simple stuff.
But what if there are robots whose job is to have fun for you? :P
I think that sexbots will have a sort of intrinsic creepiness that lasts longer than any other kind of robot. They seem to have a separate, much wider uncanny valley.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: February 25, 2015, 05:20:44 pm »

I just have the mental image of Skynet orgasming every time it copies itself.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: February 25, 2015, 05:22:47 pm »

I just have the mental image of Skynet orgasming every time it copies itself.

"Skynet, I just found two dozen copies of you on the main server. What are you doing in there?"

"NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, I SWEAR, I'M JUST, UH, DOING HOMEWORK WITH SHODAN, YEAH I'M PLAYING A VIDEO GAME WITH SHODAN"

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:39 pm »

dammit, skynet we raised you better than this
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: February 25, 2015, 05:38:45 pm »

Ultimately it needs to be very simple:

1.) Voluntary population control (birth control is the only one we'd morally consider.
2.) Productivity and need satiation
3.) Meaning

If we ever figure out how to deal with those where they all mesh together, we're golden. Otherwise, we're screwed. Until we reach replication Star Trek levels, the idea should be to satisfy everybody's needs with as little labor as possible. The problem is exploitation, income inequality, overpopulation, and lack of meaning. We make some rich beyond practical measure, and others die in the street.... We as a species suck at this.

As for AI, how happy would you be with a hammer that could hypothetically wield itself? It's a tool or a weapon entirely based upon the intent of the wielder. While it would be hilarious to watch the NRA's classic argument of "Guns don't kill people; people kill people," fall apart, because the gun became self aware, the point is made....

Edit:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103213.msg6052622#msg6052622

That detailed some of the completely unworkable concept of "religious liberty." Mr Huckabee said "It’s like asking somebody who’s Jewish to start serving bacon-wrapped-shrimp in their deli. ... or asking a Muslim to serve up something that is offensive to him...."

http://news.yahoo.com/video/former-employee-suing-costco-religious-225748542.html

Well guess what.... Here's a Muslim individual saying that he should be allowed to pick his job inside the Costco Store to some place where he won't have to be near pork. He was hired to do a job as a cashier's assistant, at a place that sells, among other things, pork.... He doesn't believe it's ok for him to handle or be around pork or alcohol, which they also sell. So basically does Costco have to somehow quarentine this dude to make sure no pork or booze comes around him and honestly can they? What if a customer has a pork or alcohol product in the cart when they come to whatever area of the store they hypothetically put this dude in?

Even so, the electronics department, where he requested to be placed, is a neat gig with a lot less menial (using your hands) work and more mental salespersonship and typically one you have to work up to. Electronics is sort of a semi sales position. Cashier's assistant is more or less a checkout position on the bottom of the rung. This guy just gets to line jump all the way up to a nice gig? Why? He's Muslim and doesn't believe in handling pork or alcohol, which are among the items he was hired to check out with the cashiers, so he gets an automatic promotion up away from the checkout and onto the electronics sales floor? 

Hey, "Religious liberty?"

Somebody should ask Mr. Huckabee if he supports this man's lawsuit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:57:55 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: February 25, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »

Where does it say that Muslims cannot be in the close vicinity of pork and alcohol? You'd normally think that halal regulations only concern eating and drinking things.

EDIT: Working in a place that sells alcohol is apparently considered haram, but I can't find anything about handling and selling pork ???.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:38:22 pm by surqimus »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: February 25, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »

Oh, "We did not have the parts" type worries.
I imagine that it would be standard to have secondary aims/restrictions on any AI anyway, I don't see why "don't make people dead" wouldn't be one of them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: February 25, 2015, 08:46:52 pm »

We teach consent to school-children, I don't see why we wouldn't teach it to a fucking AI.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:46 pm »

Wouldn't Asimov's three laws help quite a bit with this kind of stuff?

We teach consent to school-children, I don't see why we wouldn't teach it to a fucking AI.

AIs might even LEARN it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:16 pm »

Tomorrow, they're going to decide weather or not to keep net neutrality in the U.S. Opinions?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:25 pm »

What about a regular AI? :P

In other news, Chicago police have apparently been operating an off-the-books black site. People are abducted, brought there,
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

Oh, and remember my post about an OWS arrest in Chicago during a NATO summit in 2012?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103213.msg3297603#msg3297603
But the group of protesters said what police thought was suspicious was actually a home beer-brewing operation.
“We were handcuffed to a bench and our legs were shackled together. We were not told what was happening,” one of those detained but later released, Darrin Ammussek, told the station.
“I believe very strongly in non-violence, and if I had seen anything that even resembled any plans or anything like that, we wouldn’t have been there," he added.
He claimed that during 18 hours in custody, police never told him why he was arrested, read him his rights or allowed him to make a phone call, The Associated Pres reported. He said he remained handcuffed to a bench, even after asking to use a restroom.

So those folks are mentioned in the above article. Apparently, not only is this not an exception, it's a regular occurrence, with reports of beatings, shackling for hours in uncomfortable positions, interrogations, and apparently even a death. They aren't booked, their whereabouts are not documented. So yeah, best to avoid Chicago or you might get disappeared.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:26:27 pm by alway »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 759