Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 722919 times)

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Stonesense: New official thread.
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2012, 04:21:48 pm »

Any possibility I could get this to work with Genesis 34.07? Like maybe mess around with init or index files, add .pngs where needed or what? Or is it not a possibility?
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »

You will have to define new creatures, soils, minerals and creatures yourself, but otherwise it should work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »

OK, I've done enough to make myself go crosseyed for the next couple hours, so I'll just post these for now, and work on mass copy-pasting icons a little later.

Carve fortification, Engrave wall/floor (two different jobs, same icon), General digging (dig wall, carve all three stairs, ramps, channels), fell tree, gather plants, and remove construction.

I'm planning on making the following color-coded top-right icons:

Gray pickaxes be general digging/carving/engraving (I put in a chisel icon for comparison, but I can switch that out with another pickaxe for more consolidation).

Red arrows are general hauling type tasks.

Green arrows are resource gathering tasks.

Yellow circle arrows are industrial/craft tasks.

Brown hammers are construction/building.

Magenta houses are administration/nobles tasks

Bottom-right gem icons: 

Green: Working civilian tasks

Yellow: Military Tasks

Gray: On break/sleeping/eating

Red: Violent activities (tantrums, thieves, other bad stuff)

Purple: Mooding

I might change up the backplates for when it's very bad stuff that people should pay attention to, like "this is a goblin sieger trying to kill your peeps".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:31 pm »

I am duly impressed by your mad pixel skillllz.
At last, she is done.

GhostRiiide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »

Hey, I was wondering if you would be willing to release a guide or something for people who want to add more animations to more event triggers. Like for combat and the like.
I want to animate a lot of the combat for a lot of the sprites. Like wrestling animations, and damage to the body. This would be a lot of work, but before I get to that, I was wondering if Stonesense event support conditional changes. Like reading the games data in regards to the status of an animal or to a character. From what I can tell, it does, because humans can have different skin color and faces.

So I was wondering if you had information as to what triggers change what. And how I can tie it into showing the sprites I want to add. As I would (other than creating a whole new isometric viewer myself) like to make combat more visualized.

I'll even so as far as making my own sprites and images myself. Any information regarding this is appreciated. Thank you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:33 pm »

Stonesense reads skin color, because that's something easy to find. Other stuff is a bit more complicated, and if you want to add support for it, you'll have to learn to code.

GhostRiiide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:40 am »

Stonesense reads skin color, because that's something easy to find. Other stuff is a bit more complicated, and if you want to add support for it, you'll have to learn to code.

I was told to get started with C++. Is that what Dwarf Fortress is made using?

So how does Stonesense work exactly, it finds entries in files Dwarf Fortress makes real time and responds by emulating it real time?

Does it read the code entries, or log entries, or is it both?

I'm just trying to figure out how you all went about this is all. Not trying to steal anything. Is there reason there are no combat animations because it's just been proven too complicated?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:27 am »

it reads the memory of DF.

each frame, it reads all the tiles and creatures in a specified area, and then draws them.

It uses C++, as does DF.

The reason for no combat animations is the fact that it's just too many sprites to draw.

GhostRiiide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:40 am »

it reads the memory of DF.

each frame, it reads all the tiles and creatures in a specified area, and then draws them.

It uses C++, as does DF.

The reason for no combat animations is the fact that it's just too many sprites to draw.

Okay, I think I will learn C++ then. Thanks for illustrating the mechanics for me.

When you say "too many sprites", do you mean having the hundreds of sprites shown for different combat animations is just not supported at all? As in there is no framework within your program to support such complex animation change? EDIT: and also, volume of animations. Or is it because it would require a lot of work to animate or create them all?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:20:02 am by GhostRiiide »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2012, 01:33:10 am »

mainly shitloads of drawing.

also the combat happens pretty damn fast.

really, the best you'd be able to do is a 'there's fighting going on' animation
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:39:54 am by Japa »

GhostRiiide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2012, 02:24:03 am »

mainly shitloads of drawing.

also the combat happens pretty damn fast.

really, the best you'd be able to do is a 'there's fighting going on' animation

That's what I was thinking, I was going to have poses for certain events. And I was going to see if it was possible to have certain events overwrite others. Like wrestling would overwrite stabbing poses.

Perhaps I am misleading you when I say animation. I wouldn't create overly complex sprite animations, but simple poses. If I was going to animate all of this, I would hope my number is in the hundreds, not the thousands. My first plan was creating blank templates that outline the shapes for everything, so its easier to color and work with. Then I was going to simply fill in the blanks with any details I'd need based on certain information. So I could have limbless character images, choking pose, general wrestling pose, striking pose, things like that. The amount of work that comes in would be the need to animate every single type of clothing. BUT, I could always create a general animation sheet to be used as placeholders correct?

Is it possible, to have a combat pose set. And then every time combat ends, you reset to a default character image? Within your Stonesense program? And, are all your images for characters pre-rendered? Or does it generate the character image? When the program renders a frame with information it gets from Dwarf Fortress, it just uses whatever images are set for whatever parameters you tell it to use? Because I see when I stealth, my character image vanishes. So you could tell your program to actually use a stealth image too right? Also does Stonesense support animation? I see the grass sways back and forth. I was wandering if I decided to create some kind of walking would it be supported, or is that something you'd need to code in to make Stonesense support?

I'm just wondering about all of this, so if I wanted to show certain details on certain characters, I'd know just how many images to draw.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

GhostRiiide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2012, 03:00:04 am »

This is pretty much what you can do without modifying stonesense.

Wow, good read! Thanks!

If I read this right, and I'd like to think I have, you can do ALOT with the sprites without trying to add more code or anything. That's pretty sick. And, if I read this right, you could show some cool looking combat poses couldn't you? Is it possible to have overlapping animations, so you could essentially show a creature with a stabbing combat pose overlapping a creature with an attacking, or wounded pose?

I'll keep rereading this until I understand it.

Beerscholar

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Gerbil of Misery
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:54 am »

I'm having a small bit of trouble with Stonesense at the moment, it seems that when I have the auto-update on anything but the lowest setting (There seems to be three separate 0.1s settings, I'm refering to the last before the GUI element disappears), all controls are laggy and camera movement slows to a tile-based crawl. (I originally had to change from the 'Any' setting of the render option to OpenGL otherwise all update options were laggy.)

Not only that, but because I want to conserve CPU and memory resources I don't want it updating at all, so I turn it down to 'don't update' and everything becomes laggy as I said before, I then unpause DF and it keeps auto-updating!

It'd be nice if this was fixed and updating was limited to the refresh button and the other option buttons as it looks in the code.

Anyway, it's my first time using Stonesense and I have to say it looks very promising, keep it up.

Randomly generated things always turn out to be awesome

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2012, 03:57:56 am »

What's the most recent version that allows full map screenshots?
I've been reluctant to continue my DORFTANIC construction since a 6 Embark long construction just doesn't look right with severly limited screenshots.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 85