Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the mining drop rate changes?

I really like the new system.
- 127 (35%)
Better than before, but more needs to be done.
- 93 (25.6%)
It doesn't make a difference to me.
- 41 (11.3%)
The changes don't really address my issues.
- 6 (1.7%)
I don't like it at all.
- 35 (9.6%)
I have mixed feelings on the matter.
- 61 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 362

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?  (Read 59747 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Drop Rate Change: Good or Bad?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:26 am »

It's a temporary fix but I like the direction it's going in. Hopefully Toady can slap on a tag that allows us to mod it.

Just so that I can garnish support, here's the current suggestion topic on modding stone drops. [LINK] If you like having 100% stone drop or have it based on skill you should still get behind this so that Toady knows there's interest.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:03:53 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 10:19:14 am »

How will this affect coal? If drop rates are slashed by 3/4 and bar yields are quadrupled for coal as well as ore, you will still generate more coke total since there will be major savings in coke during coking and smelting. Even if coal drop rates and coking equations are unaffected (e.g. still get 100% coal drop from a legendary miner and net two bars from bit. coal and 1 bar from lignite), there will still be a lower demand for coal due to more efficient smelting.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:21:55 am by Niyazov »

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 10:53:39 am »

How will this affect coal? If drop rates are slashed by 3/4 and bar yields are quadrupled for coal as well as ore, you will still generate more coke total since there will be major savings in coke during coking and smelting. Even if coal drop rates and coking equations are unaffected (e.g. still get 100% coal drop from a legendary miner and net two bars from bit. coal and 1 bar from lignite), there will still be a lower demand for coal due to more efficient smelting.
No. There is still a demand for coke in steel production that which will not diminish unless the Toady One addresses this issue.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 11:00:59 am »

If you disregard magma smelting, coal usage will drop.

You want to smelt 20 copper bars? Now, you need 20 coal and 20 copper ore.
With the change, you will need 5 coal and 5 copper ore.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:05 am »

But as soon as you make something out of bars or if you make steel you will need as much coke as before.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 11:29:03 am »

Well, Steel is something precious to have and you can still have multiple levels of underground tree farms, as big as you want them to have and make your coke out of wood. Issue partially solved.

On the other hand, I like it, sounds good. No more mass dumping because of 'I NEED THAT STORAGE SPACE DOWN THERE NOW! NOT LATER!'.

As for blocks, as soon as you can set the stone used by the workshop, it's going to be wonderful. (I know, it's possible already, with burrows and locked doors, but that's a bit toooo ... tedious.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:21 am »

I wonder how this will affect my embark points.
Raw materials will become even more important than the finished product.

e.g.
one raw stone = 3 points = gives 4 blocks = .75 points per block
-> one block of stone = 5 points apiece
and
1-tin / 1-copper / 1 lumber = 23 points = gives 2 bronze bars = 11.5 points per bronze bar
-> 1 bronze bar = 25 points apiece

I guess the extra points will go into food, since dwarves will be too busy making blocks to farm/train/etc...

since it's just temporary I guess I can live with it until Toady figures out how to handle it all.

Hope this isn't tautology (yes I'm very grumpy today).
Otherwise, it'll join the other temporary features such as:
: alcohol-dependant vampires
: stangnant rivers
: dwarves that get repeated bad thoughts from wearing Xsilk sockX but don't change clothing till it's xX (or something)
/grump

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2012, 11:46:27 am »

If you disregard magma smelting, coal usage will drop.

You want to smelt 20 copper bars? Now, you need 20 coal and 20 copper ore.
With the change, you will need 5 coal and 5 copper ore.

ok let's get our terminology straight

fuel= coke or charcoal
coal= bituminous coal or lignite

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2012, 11:50:10 am »

The bar stockpile setting that includes coke and charcoal is called "coal".

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »

Toady is in error, then. Coke should never be called coal except in extremely informal parlance. Calling coke/charcoal "coal" is a harmful and confusing practice.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 08:37:25 pm »

As for blocks, as soon as you can set the stone used by the workshop, it's going to be wonderful. (I know, it's possible already, with burrows and locked doors, but that's a bit toooo ... tedious.
Quote from: Devlog
Stockpiles can now be set to give items to multiple stockpiles. You can also set stockpiles to give to a workshop, in which case the workshop will only use items from its piles. You can use this to set specific materials for jobs in a roundabout way, for example, until we get around to doing that properly.
Rejoice, for the Great Toady One has provided.  All one needs is a dedicated stockpile, which I expect most to have anyways.

PS: I hadn't considered how the production of mechanisms might be affected by the new stone drop rate.  Well, I suppose maybe we can mod in iron mechanisms somehow?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:39:39 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

PS: I hadn't considered how the production of mechanisms might be affected by the new stone drop rate.  Well, I suppose maybe we can mod in iron mechanisms somehow?
Mod in? I thought they were already in the game? I haven't made metal mechanisms, but I've seen them listed as an option at the forge.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:14 pm »

Have they been?  I haven't checked either, lol.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 10:22:03 pm »

They are indeed possible, but it may still be a pain in the ass to produce enough furniture and non-block stone goods if it all still uses boulders. If they could carve straight from blocks, or if blocks had some uses besides construction, that would be great. Or maybe if a single boulder produced more than one coffer...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »

I think that having not enough stone to build furniture with might actually be a good thing though.  It seems like we've almost had it too easy up 'til now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15