Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 239588 times)

XenoX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Open Beta: January 23, 2013
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:42 pm »

I would really like to get your PoE key :) im a huge diablo fan so i want to try PoE sinse D3 wasnt what i expected

XenoX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2012, 06:13:38 am »

Alright i can understand that ;) But thank you for your new offer!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »

So I have another closed beta key. If you want it, speak up- I'll do a random.org drawing for it in about 24 hours.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »

I'm hopeful for this game...  D3 lost me before launch between always-online and no-mods.  TL2 seemed promising, but they still haven't figured out how to write a stable savefile module.  (wtf?)

I'm content to wait, though, even if other keys come up, even if the asylum is still in my hair...  ;)  Mainly to avoid the wipe/reset when open beta starts.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2012, 12:25:10 am »

There's plenty of time right now to do at least one playthrough before open beta starts, maybe more, depending on how often you play.

That said, it's a very different beast than Torchlight. if you take D2 as a basepoint for both of them, they each went in the opposite direction from it. Torchlight went the casual direction, while PoE went the opposite.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2012, 05:42:39 am »

I'm hopeful for this game...  D3 lost me before launch between always-online and no-mods.  TL2 seemed promising, but they still haven't figured out how to write a stable savefile module.  (wtf?)

I'm content to wait, though, even if other keys come up, even if the asylum is still in my hair...  ;)  Mainly to avoid the wipe/reset when open beta starts.
Umm, stable save file? What are you talking about man... just disable steam cloud sync mumbo jumbo, and you will not have any problems with that anymore and crapy steam save problems

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2012, 01:28:37 pm »

Umm, stable save file? What are you talking about man... just disable steam cloud sync mumbo jumbo, and you will not have any problems with that anymore and crappy steam save problems

There are more problems with TL2 than just Steam sync.  Just because you haven't experienced them doesn't mean problems don't occur.

Game crashes that corrupt/disappear save files.  Patches that corrupt/disappear save files.  Quests that don't start/update/complete properly.  Yeah yeah, I know, software is complex, and PCs can be a hassle because of all the possible hardware...  There are gonna be bugs no matter what.  However, any error that means what I accomplished just got erased, it doesn't really matter why it happens.  My time just got wasted because of bad code somewhere in the game.  Not acceptable, and not forgivable.

I got burned badly on TL1; after being open minded about TL1's stability (hourly crashes at times), I lost ~80 hours of playtime to a save file overwrite bug. Played for a while on my high level toon, then switched to a new guy.  I finished up some quests there, went to switch back: surprise!  you now have two copies of your new guy!!!  (stopped playing TL1 after that)  I got burned by TL2 also, but not quite as badly, because it happened early. The game crashed about 2 hours in on my first session, and I lost 3/4 of my progress.  My only consolation is that it was a friend's copy, and my own money wasn't wasted.

Runic has garnered a lot of goodwill as The Scrappy Little Studio That Could, but I don't think they deserve it.  It breaks my heart, really.  I _want_ to like Runic; ideologically, I think they're approaching the gamedev thing from the right angle.  Good looking games without chasing photo-realism, good price point, accessibility for modding, not wrapped up in totalitarian DRM.  But their QA team needs to go back to Obsidian and stay there. :P

ANYWAYS.

To get back on thread-topic here, I'm interested to hear from the closed beta people about PoE's crafting...  How is it?  Robust and useful, I hope?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2012, 04:20:59 pm »

Craftng in PoE is heavily meshed in with the currency items, and it works rather well.

That said, much like the rest of the ways to get items, it's a gamble. You could use a single orb and end up with an epic sword of asskicking+1, or you can use up everything you've got and end up with something mediocre, at best.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »

Or, you could trade your stuff for someone else's luck, if you had something they want.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

Craftng in PoE is heavily meshed in with the currency items, and it works rather well.

That said, much like the rest of the ways to get items, it's a gamble. You could use a single orb and end up with an epic sword of asskicking+1, or you can use up everything you've got and end up with something mediocre, at best.

I remember doing some truly grindtastic things on Diablo 2 @ Bnet East for good crafting output...  Using my 93Amazon with a truly absurd +gold rig (+1400% or so, iirc) to mow down cows, then gamble it all for high ilvl base items.  THEN burn crazy stacks of gems and low runes going for a grand conjunction of useful rare affixes.  The truly awesome output didn't come around often, but there were a few that were damn close to top end uniques, and a few others that were better than uniques for some quirky builds.

Tying crafting into the currency items seems like a good way to help keep the economy balanced...  long term thinking on design.  I approve. :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:05 am »

So, there was an interesting Q&A.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2012, 02:46:58 pm »

You bastard.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:07 pm »

Well, if anyone has any extra key left I would need one for a friend, I already have the beta.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »

Much love to Kanil for the unexpected beta key. Any tips while I wait for this game to install?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:07:59 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »

Tips, hmmm:
1. Take only items that you need, this is not TL2 or diablo , there is no gold, you have little space to carry items
2. If going to multiplayer the loot is shared between all the players in party (be careful with who you play)
3. Game is hard, get a lot of differences (health, energy shield, block, resistance, depending from how you will play)
4. Do research on the passive skill tree here http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100