Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 238573 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Forsaken Masters
« Reply #630 on: August 01, 2014, 09:43:05 am »

Speaking of unique droprates... (not so much drops as it is useful random vendors, but eh, you're probably as likely to find the one you want one way as the other)

Masters as Vendors
Like regular NPCs, Masters can sell you items. Unlike normal vendors, the items sold by Masters change once per day (at midnight UTC). Each Master sells some general items and some aligned with his underlying class.

In our current build, the following items are added to the Master's vendor inventory at these reputation levels. This may change!

Level 1: A few unidentified magic items
    Level 2: One unidentified rare item
    Level 3: Some gems
    Level 4: One magic item with a new powerful mod
    Level 5: One identified rare item
    Level 6: Stacks of currency at a slightly better exchange rate than the current vendors
    Level 7: A level 60+ base item.
    Level 8: A chance of a unique item (generally a common one, but very occasionally a rare one).

These are priced so that you don't want to buy everything in the shop each day from each vendor. You should check the vendor and buy the item if it's a good deal. For example, you wouldn't want to pay 5 Chaos Orbs for a Redbeak, but that'd be a great deal for a Dream Fragments.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 01, 2014, 11:10:10 am »

Well Diablo 3 gets around the inability to trade with ridiculously generous drop rates. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced PoE could really do with more generous drop rates as well. Increase the drop rates of uniques and currency by, say, an order of magnitude. Not only would this make the game much less dependent on trading and would make playing self-found much more viable, which in my mind would be a good thing, it would also make the currency items actually useful. The fact that currency items are also simultaneously crafting items is nothing short of brilliant, but unfortunately it all goes to waste because nobody actually uses them. Currently all anyone ever uses is transmutes, alts, augments, and the occasional yolo alch. The higher tiers are far too valuable to waste trying to RNG an item. If they were far more abundant and good items were far less costly, there would be a reason to actually try to craft your own gear with the high-tier currency items.

Not gonna happen because of this:
Path of Exile’s economy is the most important element of the game to us. It’s why we designed it to be played exclusively online.

I looked at the new crafting and I loled so hard. You will need to pay few chaos just to mod one item. Chaos that dont drop almost at all  until you get to end game and where you need to farm for few of them in end game maps.

It's literally mind blowing that the game has this orbs for rolling mods, but they do not drop at all, and you will need to invest over 1000h to have something, and even than some people will never see something like Eternal Orb or Exalted Orb.

Disgusting how such a good ideas is destroyed because of the economy and bad drop rates.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 01, 2014, 11:12:14 am »

I've gotten plenty of Chaos orbs, but maybe that's because I actually play the game.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:56 am »

I've accumulated plenty of chaos orbs (and a blessed orb, and basically every other kind of orb that could drop in Normal I think), the problem is I end up using them for things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 01, 2014, 11:30:13 am »

I've gotten plenty of Chaos orbs, but maybe that's because I actually play the game.

Yes, the same thing diablo fanboys said for d3 drop rates on release, and that you dont need to use AH, just to play the game and that drop rates are ok. Good thing that most people know that was not the case with d3, as same as most people know it for PoE. There is a reason why they call the game path of trade and why so many people want a self found league and game balanced around the player it self and not economy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:45 am »

Yeah, I'd agree that the failing of PoE's crafting system shows itself at the upper level. When the results of your modding is based on RNG, it becomes prohibitively expensive to get what you want out of it. D3 is no different in the end, but the resources you use are much more easily/consistently acquired.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 01, 2014, 11:56:40 am »

Yes, the same thing diablo fanboys said for d3 drop rates on release, and that you dont need to use AH, just to play the game and that drop rates are ok. Good thing that most people know that was not the case with d3, as same as most people know it for PoE. There is a reason why they call the game path of trade and why so many people want a self found league and game balanced around the player it self and not economy.

Yeah, I honestly don't give a shit about 'the economy', I just want to play the game on my own and actually be able to progress without having to farm for a thousand hours to get quasi-decent endgame gear. I already gave them $40 for supporter packs back in beta, but I'd pay that much again if that would get me a single-player version with increased drop rates that doesn't need to connect to their servers (thereby solving the desync problem, which really has no damn business existing if I'm the only person in the game).

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 01, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »

Alrighty then
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:46 pm »

I have three characters that I've played through all three difficulties on and I've never traded except for a skill gem once (that I ended up not using after about 5 levels >.<). I guess I must be playing a different game?

Anyway, the next mini-expansion looks pretty neat. I'd stopped playing because of the desyncs (and the fact that my favorite type of build happens to trigger them a lot), but it looks like it'll be worth it to come back for that.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 01, 2014, 02:14:49 pm »

There is a reason why they call the game path of trade
I give negative fucks about whatever the mysterious 'they' call anything. This is the internet, you don't have to have a reason to do anything, just enough upvotes or other arbitrary support amount. (you don't even need that if all you want to do is essentially shout into the wind on tumblr or something) And then people either ignore it anyway or cause Drama (or trolling, which is less intersting) related to it with little in-between the two thats easily noticed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 01, 2014, 02:17:35 pm »

I've trade for exactly one gem, and a couple of craftable items, just to see what dealing with people is like.

And I've made it all the way to the end of Merciless.

So I'm on the "Path of WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH" side of things, because trading is not necessary...unless you expect to get somewhere without actually playing the game. Gear modding is nice. It's not required.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 05:30:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 01, 2014, 03:03:02 pm »

I've trade for exactly one one, and a couple of craftable items, just to see what dealing with people is like.

And I've made it all the way to the end of Merciless.

So I'm on the "Path of WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH" side of things, because trading is not necessary...unless you expect to get somewhere without actually playing the game. Gear modding is nice. It's not required.

And just what exactly is your definition of "actually playing the game", pray tell? How many hundreds of hours have you had to farm before you were strong enough to take on Merciless Dominus?

Also don't forget that Merciless Dominus is not in fact the end of the game. There's the Vaal map bosses now, which are apparently significantly tougher.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 01, 2014, 03:20:11 pm »

Yeah, I honestly don't give a shit about 'the economy', I just want to play the game on my own and actually be able to progress without having to farm for a thousand hours to get quasi-decent endgame gear. I already gave them $40 for supporter packs back in beta, but I'd pay that much again if that would get me a single-player version with increased drop rates that doesn't need to connect to their servers (thereby solving the desync problem, which really has no damn business existing if I'm the only person in the game).

Same. While I understand the always online thing as the game is f2p (but i would also love a offline mode, but at least here they have a valid excuse), i do not understand their focus on trading and economy for all players, the ones that like that and the ones that hate it. The game has league system and until i see a self found league where they do not make crappy drops because they are to scared that economy will get to big inflation i will not be touching it again.

I mean think of it, you play through normal, cruel and get to merc. dif. , and lets say how many chaos orb will you get till then, playing the whole game two times? 2, 3, maybe 4 if you are lucky..lol. And with that 4 orbs you cant do anything on your items and are best used to spam the chat and buy a item (good with new expansion at least you can actually put one mod on one item  ::)). Its horrible design for self found players, or better said its not designed and balanced at all for them.

And not even talking about the wall you hit with end of merc. and mapping. And bad risk vs reword for something like killing bosses. God help us, if we would get some reword for killing hard map bosses, we would break the economy, we cannot have that in the game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:22:58 pm by boki »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:08 pm »

I understand the always online thing as the game is f2p

I don't. I honestly don't. Could you explain it to me? I just don't see any logical connection between a game being free2play and the requirement for it to be always online. I can see it in a game you have to actually pay money for, sure, because there the always-on thing is DRM that prevents piracy. But PoE doesn't cost anything, so what's the point? What exactly are they trying to prevent people from doing by insisting on always-on? It can't be piracy, you can't pirate a game they're giving away for free. So what is it?

And even if GGG insist on it being connected to their servers, would it really kill them to at least make the game handle mob movement and hit detection and such locally when there's only one player in the game? Not only would that make it more pleasant to play for a significant portion of the player base, it would also lighten the load on their servers. It's a win-win. I understand that lag and desync happens when you're playing multiplayer, but it's beyond retarded that it happens when I'm playing alone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:25:11 pm by Sordid »

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »

The reason why its always online is the hub area where other plays move around. You can see them having shiny things, and as that is their only income and actually in game marketing to make you also look at other character and buy cosmetics. Than there is again economy :"Path of Exile’s economy is the most important element of the game to us. It’s why we designed it to be played exclusively online"

Agree about your other point that if you play alone they can have some thing done on local (actually, that should be done no matter if you play alone or in group). But you know what they will say, you can have map hack and cheat easier if its done on local (and that is true in a way). 
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 100