Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089953 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3495 on: October 23, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »

I have three keys (I'm sure others do as well), so PM me if you need one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

I have no idea why people have a hard time landing the fighters... I've flown both the mosquito and the scythe quite a bit and they both handle well, and unless you just plow full speed into something hard, they're pretty sturdy as well. Of course they'll take damage if you bump into something with a bit of force, they're aircraft, not tanks. The Mosquito was a bit more finicky about landing than the scythe though. I could actually skid across the ground a bit(if flat enough) when landing in the scythe, so stopping completely wasn't as vital. The Mosquito tended to need a more vertical landing, but even a bit of horizontal motion wasn't catastrophic.

I will say, if you're using the outside view to fly, it tends to be a bit hard to judge exactly what angle you're flying at, so if you try to land in that mode, it's pretty easy to plow into the ground nose first rather than on your landing gear. Cockpit is my prefered view when flying fighters, unless I'm doing something tricky(flying/landing around buildings) and need to see exactly how much wing clearance I have.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »

I land the mosquito 100% VTOL style, slow all  the way down and let gravity take you to the ground, slowly pump the spacebar until landed safely.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 23, 2012, 05:00:37 pm »

I have no idea why people have a hard time landing the fighters...
I'm just not sure from what kind of distance I need to slow from to land where I want. Other than that it's the turning that throws me. I should dust off my joystick and see if that helps.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 23, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

If there's a way to separate joystick flying from mouse-and-keyboard everything else, I'm all ears. So far, I seem to be having trouble because the vehicle controls are all linked to one another.

Of course, I'm also having trouble with playing the game at all because latency issues are making me lag to utter uselessness, so I guess working on that should take priority.
Nothing important here, move along.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: October 23, 2012, 05:31:38 pm »

Look, if you want to fly a fighter with a keyboard here is how you've got to do it:
1.) takeoff: press 'T' it is much easier to maneuver in 3rd person, and you can see what your doing. You may have to quickly tap 'T' a couple of times to get it right after you spawn. Now once that's down Use 'D' and 'A' to rotate, DO NOT roll; you will fuck yourself over. Hold down 'SHIFT' (which is your booster) to blast your way out of the warpgate. Note: you may want to set a map marker so you know what direction wont take you oob.

2.) flying: stay in 3rd person, like I said it's nice to see what your doing. If you want to shift a little bit feel free to roll, DO NOT over do it, be gentle. If you want to get a good strafing run in gain altitude (just look up) then press 'T' again to switch back to 1st person, align your crosshairs with the target and simultaneously fire and boost (click to fire; 'SHIFT' to boost) at this point you'll Be moving towards the ground rapidly, pull up if/when you're outside your comfort zone. Keep your boost on, AA will probably be targetting you now, feel free to roll, but again: don't over do it, make sure you can right your self. You'll have to just DO IT to get a feel. Once again, use keys to turn. When you're done strafing return to 3rd person flight and right yourself. (Air to Air, later mehbeh)

3.) landing: Find a "safe" spot to land, preferably a larger, flatter area. Then use 'S' to decelerate ('W' accelerates) your craft should be moving downwards, bump 'SPACEBAR' to slow your descent. Now you can fly!

I hope that helps some people! If I said the keybindings wrong or you have a question about keys, tell/ask.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: October 23, 2012, 05:53:49 pm »

I've noticed a huge amount of bugs since the lastest patch.  They said they're working on the vehicle thing which I think everyone's experiencing (Vehicle spawns on the pad, but you don't warp into it and have to enter and drive it off manually before another vehicle spawns and they both blow up), but it seems there are a lot more.

Every once in a while, my bullets will stop working, permanently.  They literally just pass through people.  There was a VS infiltrator trying to overload a generator, I sneak up behind him and empty a clip into his back point-blank... no damage.  Knife, no damage.  Was in my skyguard lightning, shooting at a Liberator no more than 100 feet away, bullets pass right through it.  Later on during the TR lemming rush of Mani Bio Facility that will someday become a legend in the histories of fail, I emptied two clips into an NC MAX from behind... no damage.  Only gets fixed by restarting the game. 

Then, my vehicles started randomly exploding.  Had a lightning parked on a hilltop, no enemies in sight... explodes.  "Stop killing yourself!" it says.  Prowler moving on flat terrain... explodes.  "Stop killing yourself!"  Reported both bugs, hopefully will get fixed before launch.  Odd that they started after the new patch though, didn't seem like it was changing anything even remotely related to those things. 

Oh, also... a lot of speed hackers.  Saw a few of my fellow TR doing it, running at about 80kph, and a couple NC as well.  Reported the TRs, didn't get a name on the NCs.  This really worries me... I hope it doesn't turn into another Guild Wars 2 =(
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:42 pm »

You will probably want to get used to rolling at some point, as it is far faster to roll over 90 degrees and pull up to pull a quick turn than it is to try to turn using a and d. (Of course you can roll 45 degrees, pull up, and hold a or d at the same time, if you like)

It's a bit harder to control rolls and such in third person, at least for me, but the view doesn't go back far enough to see if anyone is behind you anyways, so I mainly only use it when I'm getting near buildings.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: October 23, 2012, 06:46:07 pm »

You will probably want to get used to rolling at some point, as it is far faster to roll over 90 degrees and pull up to pull a quick turn than it is to try to turn using a and d. (Of course you can roll 45 degrees, pull up, and hold a or d at the same time, if you like)

It's a bit harder to control rolls and such in third person, at least for me, but the view doesn't go back far enough to see if anyone is behind you anyways, so I mainly only use it when I'm getting near buildings.
I can vouch that turning sideways and pulling up is basically the only way to turn, except when you're hover/landing. And third person view is basically just Landing Cam for me.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: October 23, 2012, 07:15:31 pm »

Yes, 3rd person view isn't really necessary (cept for near-struxture stunts) but I fly 3rd person in a lot of other games, which is really the only reason I like it.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »

Just squeezed a Mosquito inside the dome of a Bio Lab and was flying around.  Took me about 10 minutes of jockeying back and forth to get through the opening.  Land it on the roof of a building inside and some "friendly" light infantry flies up there and blows it up >.<
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: October 23, 2012, 09:02:07 pm »

I don't believe the FPS counter is reliable.  I installed a GTX 650 Ti yesterday and tested it with exactly the same parameters as the NX 9500 from before which was giving me 20-24 FPS.  The GTX now gives me a max of 70-ish - it cycles so fast the second digit cannot be discerned.  But, the thing is, just standing in the NC warpgate in the spawn tube, the FPS will violently oscilate between 30-ish and 70-ish FPS.

Overall, picture quality is much smoother and I was having a lot of fun, with incidental accuracy, in the turret of a lib, until I went to reload and hit both e and r, damn that sucks when it happens - "Stop killing yourself"
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: October 23, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »

I changed the get in/eject key to c, personally.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »

I am going to do that in the next session, Shadowlord, thanks for the suggestion.
Is there anything asigned to 'p'? (for panic)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:30 am »

So, Planetside 2 aye?

I was really interested in original planetside, yet found out about it a tad too late. So!

I really hate asking such vague questions but,

Is it any good? I keep hearing bad noise about it, followed by feverent defense then ending in a flame war.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 826