Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089621 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4185 on: November 23, 2012, 03:20:45 pm »

In terms of weapon unlocks, it seems the only real defeault anti-air is on the Max suit, aside from base turrets which will either be destroyed or manned by someone else.

I've been mostly focusing on upgrading my meeic gun thing thoug, sniping with the 2x scope is fine using the NC gauss rifle. might try one of the 3x scopes, but I want to maintain usefullness in tighter quarters.
I wish you could either try uns out before you buy them, or they gave more info about the guns. I've been thinking about getting the medic DMR because people compare it to the M14, but the shop claims it's less accurate than the default gun, which would be rather dumb.

Lunch break overrr

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4186 on: November 23, 2012, 03:25:00 pm »

with defenders whore-camping every exit.
I gotta say it.

When you are defending, it is not 'camping' to lock down and defend chokepoints and bottlenecks. It is a good and sound tactic. You make it sound like some cheap distasteful thing to find easily defensible areas and fortify them.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #4187 on: November 23, 2012, 03:38:00 pm »

I wish you could either try uns out before you buy them, or they gave more info about the guns. I've been thinking about getting the medic DMR because people compare it to the M14, but the shop claims it's less accurate than the default gun, which would be rather dumb.

You can. There should be an option to "Unlock" it, and under there you'll find a trial option. You can't use any mods with trial weapons, though, so you're out of luck if you're dependent on scopes.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4188 on: November 23, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »

I've been thinking about getting the medic DMR because people compare it to the M14, but the shop claims it's less accurate than the default gun, which would be rather dumb.
Why is it dumb? Just curious.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: November 23, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »

I've been thinking about getting the medic DMR because people compare it to the M14, but the shop claims it's less accurate than the default gun, which would be rather dumb.
Why is it dumb? Just curious.

Because it's DMR according to the store, and that generally indicates a highly accurate rifle. I'm generalizing here, though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: November 23, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »

I dont know, the store-given statistics seem to be rather misleading to me. Maybe I just dont notice.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: November 23, 2012, 04:10:44 pm »

with defenders whore-camping every exit.
I gotta say it.

When you are defending, it is not 'camping' to lock down and defend chokepoints and bottlenecks. It is a good and sound tactic. You make it sound like some cheap distasteful thing to find easily defensible areas and fortify them.
True, but it's such a cramped space that there's no benefit taking that route. Either you run out and get blown to smithereens by the army of MAX and turrets or stay behind a tiny shield door and if you're lucky you might pluck some of them but it's all for naught as there's about ten more behind each one you kill. That's what happens. I spawn from a Sunderer, run into the teleporter, stick my head outside and die. Repeat ad nauseam et infinitum.

It eventually reaches an equilibrium where no one's going past the shield and the defenders are merely peeking around the corner to notice any changes. It's a stalemate, a Mexican standoff. It feels like there's no way to create momentum and get past the defense. Any strategy you had in mind just falls apart. Either that or you continue to freely throw yourself into the line of fire Soviet-style just hoping someone gets past to do something useful other than dying. And there's a lot of dying.

It's like as if they give you ten routes and nine are just pure bad from a strategic standpoint and the only one that might work is either a pile of dead bodies thrown upon another pile or the seemingly rare outside-the-box thinking.

Attrition warfare might be cool and all in hindsight but constant death and respawn for the sake of dying some more with no end in sight quickly deteriorate that point of view into a hellish nightmare.

I'm trying to enjoy this game and have a good time, but the game has this strange desire to stop me. I want to see the big open battles with tanks steamrolling over the countryside. I want to see the momentum of battle. Death shouldn't be a problem, but when the momentum ceases for both sides, when there's death and only death waiting for you, it suddenly becomes a problem.

Cue WW1 trench warfare.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: November 23, 2012, 04:14:26 pm »

actually in most siege situations I've experienced, enemy inflitrators and light assaults usually get in and destroy the shield generators.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »

After a certain point, it should generally be obvious you've already lost. All you can do is sit there like a dope or go somewhere else and hope for better luck. There's no point in trying to fight through a force that has outnumbered, outgunned, and outflanked you.
Nothing important here, move along.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: November 23, 2012, 05:11:51 pm »

When things have ground down to a standstill it's pretty easy to go in as a single guy or a small squad and take down generators.  Everyone's distracted and you're unlikely to face real resistance.

If you've got them all the way down to the point where they're defending the main spawn then you can just chill there in a safe spot and wait to rush in when they inevitably lose the facility.

How interesting a fight is seems to depend on what kind of facility it is.  Biolabs are usually clusterfucks, especially Ikanam.  Amp stations are pretty open so there's usually a lot of street fighting and vehicles get involved, those are fun.  The minor facilities can also be interesting to defend, I helped fend off NS and TR simultaneously at the Crown in Indar this morning.  It was some intense shit.

What I'm wondering right now is, what's the endgame?  Do we just fight over the same stretches of ground over and over until Planetside 3 comes out?  The whole idea of a planet where people just fight and fight and die by the thousands for facilities whose only purpose is to perpetuate the fight and change hands is pretty metal, but it doesn't make for an enduring game.  Is there anything more here?  What happens if one faction takes all three continents?  Can you take the warp gates?
Shoes...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: November 23, 2012, 05:15:54 pm »

Warpgates are untakable, there is no endgame, and for those who've spent money on it it wouldn't make sense to have one, if you buy a gun and your character is reset than that would basically be the equivalent of having your money stolen.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: November 23, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »

It's not like you have to reset characters, there just needs to be something beyond this.  The appeal of taking the same set of bases over and over will not last forever.
Shoes...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4197 on: November 23, 2012, 05:27:19 pm »

It's not like you have to reset characters, there just needs to be something beyond this.  The appeal of taking the same set of bases over and over will not last forever.
Games like this don't need an 'endgame'. Nobody asks why you fight over the same maps over and over in halo or team fortress 2 or whatever. This is the same, just with a bigger map.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: November 23, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »

Ya, the fun is in the fighting and the strategizing, I mean I guess there could be some reward, but what would you reward players with?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: November 23, 2012, 05:43:10 pm »

They already have the rewards for capping continents.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 826