Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084952 times)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5535 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »

I wish they could prevent players from using anything but ingame voip, and then give infiltrators an ability to listen in.

make taking levels in it reduce the static/increase the uptime, and only allow one voice channel to be used.

maybe have it as a replacement for the sidearm or even the rifle if it was that useful.

but since people would just use external software/hardware it would make the game a lot less accessible and is a terrible idea. :(

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: January 23, 2013, 07:02:03 pm »

I am half-way decent at flying, when I don't run into the ground/buildings and end up either blowing up or flipping THEN blowing up, yea.

So, any tips for getting more certs?  can't get more than a handful per hour most times.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5537 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:03 pm »

Getting more certs is basically down to getting more xp. Many of these most people will already know but listed for those who are new.

Make sure you are within the area that gives you capture xp for facilities when they cap(where you can see the cap progress bar) particularly the big facilities.
Join a squad. You get bonus xp for actions that effect a squadmate.
Deploy a sunderer with an ams in a good location near heavy fighting. This can rack up quite a bit over long fights if you keep it alive.
Have an ammo resupply sunderer accompany a tank group, you will gain a fair ammount of xp from resupplying.
As an Infiltrator hack terminals and base turrets. Note that there is a limit on how many hacks of a type will give xp in a short time period, IIRC around 6 terminals and 6 base turrets before you need to wait a while before getting xp again.
As an Engineer repair everything. Just repairing all the turrets and terminals on a tower will usually give you 2-3 certs. Hang back a little from a tank push and repair them as they fall back damaged. Accompany Max groups and keep them repaired.
Also as Engineer, remember to drop your ammo boxes for resupply xp. Drop them near Heavys who are spamming rockets, next to capture points, near to choke points, etc. Also remember you have two of them by default, pressing b when you pull out your turret gives you a ammo pack that will last for 3 mins, press b again to switch back to turret.
As a Medic revive anyone who is dead, particularly Maxs, and heal anyone who needs it. Just watch out not to run into a kill zone trying to revive someone.
If you are in a tank/are a Heavy destroy base turrets, you get the same xp as scoring a kill. Just make sure that a friendly Infiltrator isn't intending to hack them.
Spot enemies. If you are the first to spot them then as long as they are killed while your spot is active you gain some bonus xp.
Finally shoot enemies. As long as they die you will usually get at least some xp for kill assist even if you don't kill them yourself.

The other way of getting a small ammount of certs is by killing a certain number of enemies with a specific weapon. Check on your stats page for how many you need to get for a cert reward.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: January 23, 2013, 08:49:56 pm »

I wish they could prevent players from using anything but ingame voip, and then give infiltrators an ability to listen in.

make taking levels in it reduce the static/increase the uptime, and only allow one voice channel to be used.

maybe have it as a replacement for the sidearm or even the rifle if it was that useful.

but since people would just use external software/hardware it would make the game a lot less accessible and is a terrible idea. :(

This would be an excellent idea if it weren't for external chat programs, and would otherwise be more support for a Sniper/Infiltrator class split.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: January 24, 2013, 06:25:54 pm »

So word is shotguns got a stealth nerf.
That would explain why it suddenly felt I was aiming for shit, not being able to get hits in at anything but point blank range. Apparently their spread got increased by a lot, or so people claim. I haven't tested it out myself but I can certainly feel a difference in performance. Could be mistaken, if anyone else uses one do comment.

First my bird gets hit hard and now my infantry weapon of choice gets it, this is rather demotivating. I hope it's a bug rather then an intended stealth change. It wouldn't be to crazy to theorize they'd want to nerf the existing close quarter kings so they can sell more of their upcoming SMG weapon type. I hope not...

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: January 24, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »

Crap.  I was on the verge of getting the Sweeper and solid slug. 

Hey, Ductape!  Do you have news/confirmation on this?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: January 25, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »

double XP event going on right now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: January 25, 2013, 07:44:57 pm »

double XP event going on right now.
Thanks for the heads-up. That's motivation enough to get me online.

3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:13 pm »

http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap

There are some awesome, some much needed, and some neat things going here.

For example:

April - New Continent: Hossin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:13:40 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5544 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:10 pm »

That might just double the number of continents people play on!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5545 on: January 26, 2013, 12:00:59 am »

First organised event finished a little while ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: January 26, 2013, 12:01:51 am »

First organised event finished a little while ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
VS represent!  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: January 26, 2013, 04:58:53 am »

I... uh... Wow  :o
VS for the win I guess?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: January 26, 2013, 05:11:47 am »

How the fuck did that happen.
I was thinking of enjoying some good NC time on Mattherson.
I guess not.

You know what they should do?
Randomize the continent you start on when you make a new character. That would balance the continents a fair bit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: January 26, 2013, 06:51:07 am »

[sarcasm] Nope VS isn't op no sir! Magrider especially is the epitome of balance, players on the other side just suck. [/sarcasm]

http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap

There are some awesome, some much needed, and some neat things going here.

For example:

April - New Continent: Hossin

Nice, they're looking at rendering to make it less painful for air. Due to the rendering especially large battle are impossible to meaningfully participate as an ESF pilot who has to swoop in and gtfo before AA get you. Right now the only way to fight infantry as air is to hover around, wich is suicide the way AA is now (wich is great, fuck hoverpodding). Ideally I'd be able to see all my targets from the distance I'm supposed to approach them from, but to see what's shooting at me is a good beginning.

Not sure I like the SCU changes. The idea is once you get it down you more or less win that facility, if people can keep on spawning that sort of reinforces zerg behavior over strategic play of protecting/securing generator areas.

I hope they consider adding a sort of bulletproof windshield to the flash as a defense cert, protect the driver from frontal small arms fire. It's a little easy to shoot the driver off now wich hampers its use as a weapons platform. I should see about sending 'em some feedback.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:53:51 am by Jelle »
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 826