Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084873 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5670 on: January 29, 2013, 07:02:51 pm »

Does anyone else run this on a laptop? I know what's my problem, the laptop can run it just fine but the problem is with the overheating. Though I have a cooling fan, it doesn't do anything.
I do. I also, on the other hand, have a laptop so notorious for overheating that it ships with a 2-3in. high stand to give plenty of airflow to the bottom fans.  :P

I'm perfectly content to let the argument drop, as we're obviously not going to convince each other. Also, I've found myself sitting down to dig through spreadsheets and type out long responses when I've got papers to write.  :x

But yes, I've noticed hackers on a regular basis the past few times I've got on. One ended up being rather funny at the end; it was a NC HA sitting inside a wall at a tech plant mowing people down, but when someone finally tagged him with a grenade he got all angry and started swearing at the "cheating noob" who got him.

ALSO THE GORRAM SCREENFLICKER WHILE I'M DOGFIGHTING RAAAGH.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:09 pm »

Does anyone else run this on a laptop? I know what's my problem, the laptop can run it just fine but the problem is with the overheating. Though I have a cooling fan, it doesn't do anything.
I do. I also, on the other hand, have a laptop so notorious for overheating that it ships with a 2-3in. high stand to give plenty of airflow to the bottom fans.  :P

I'm perfectly content to let the argument drop, as we're obviously not going to convince each other. Also, I've found myself sitting down to dig through spreadsheets and type out long responses when I've got papers to write.  :x

But yes, I've noticed hackers on a regular basis the past few times I've got on. One ended up being rather funny at the end; it was a NC HA sitting inside a wall at a tech plant mowing people down, but when someone finally tagged him with a grenade he got all angry and started swearing at the "cheating noob" who got him.

ALSO THE GORRAM SCREENFLICKER WHILE I'M DOGFIGHTING RAAAGH.

My laptop runs Planetside like shit.

Now hear me out, it can run ARMA 2 with settings on med-high and viewdistance at medium or far, depending on how many people are moving around and shooting. And anyone who has ever played that game knows it is an absolute beast to run.

Some games just aren't optimized for certain computers.
I need to put something interesting here.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:27 pm »

Now hear me out, it can run ARMA 2 with settings on med-high and viewdistance at medium or far, depending on how many people are moving around and shooting. And anyone who has ever played that game knows it is an absolute beast to run.

But ArmA 2 is a CPU hog more than a graphics hog. People say that's true about Planetside 2, but I'm honestly not seeing that at all.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:45 pm »

I've heard that a lot as well, but I've got nearly all the settings to the absolute minimum and I still get GPU bottlenecked at least as much as I get CPU bottlenecked. The conclusion I'm drawing is that they've got a lot of optimization to do.

3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5674 on: January 29, 2013, 11:17:42 pm »

It's more CPU intensive if you've got shadows and low graphics, and more GPU intensive if you've got no shadows and good graphics. If you've got a low FPS and you don't mind losing shadows, look up the .ini file with the graphics options and set shadows to 0. It'll help a lot. In the least, turn them down to 1, unless your computer is a god or something.

What they really need to do is let us turn off anti-aliasing. AA, and/or whatever post processing filter they throw in, is just a humongous recourse hog that no sane game should make mandatory if you want more people to play it. It's probably half the reason people are getting low FPS in the first place (The other half being shadows).
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:53 pm »

I've already done what I can with the .ini file; I can usually pull 30-40 FPS even in fairly large battles, which is good enough for now. It's obviously not ideal, though. But yes, turn the shadows down. IIRC making your draw distance non-infinite helps as well.

3. Run Resize Enable

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: January 30, 2013, 12:11:58 am »

On that note, for those of you who jhave decent framerates, in the same ini TextureDetail, if set to 0, sets the game to use Very high detail textures, which are unavailable using the standard settings.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: January 30, 2013, 03:40:59 am »

That's odd, I don't have TextureDetail in my ini file, please clarify.  I do have TextureQuality, is that what you mean?

On another note, I have had one of those "D'oh" moments where I realised that a specific tool I wanted could be kludged.  I am very bad when it comes to judging distances without a rangefinder of some kind and couldn't even guess at how far I have been shooting my SAW and hitting targets that might seem beyond the vision of the game creators.
  Then it hit me last night - Set a Personal Waypoint on the map, then look through the scope, guess what? It tells you how far away you are from your waypoint.  Therefore that VS on a flash sitting in Palos Solar Array the other day that received four gift-wrapped slugs from my SAW, was 595-ish meters away, (accepting a tolerance of a couple of meters either way because the waypoint didn't seem to go where I needed it to be).  If he had sat there to receive just two more slugs, he would have been a worm-farm.  Also, it is worth noting that when hearing the hit registration, you can tell the difference between hitting Flash and hitting meat - I was hitting meat, (not an innuendo).

Result: :D
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: January 30, 2013, 08:19:56 am »

But ArmA 2 is a CPU hog more than a graphics hog. People say that's true about Planetside 2, but I'm honestly not seeing that at all.

Well, that night I checked the CPU PlanetSide 2 was taking and uhh, it was a something about 1,500,000, yes, a million.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:09 am »

a million what? hertz? because my CPU is 2.5 billion hertz.
"one million" mean nothing by itself  ::)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:30 am »

You know those days when just everything that possibly can goes wrong?
Just now I landed my reaver on the warpgate landing pad before it inexplicably explodes. I had already left the vehicle and the explosion proppeled me forward, outside of the warpgate dome un to a not so glorious death.
That's after about four accounts of teamkills in the last hour all by differnt players.
And after having another sunderer fail to spawn propperly and explode with me in it.
And running into an anti personal mine five times in the span of 15 minutes.
Not to mention bumping into something with the reavers enormous long tail and promptly crashing, but that happens more often.
Yeah...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:09:03 am by Jelle »

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: January 30, 2013, 11:38:02 am »

a million what? hertz? because my CPU is 2.5 billion hertz.
"one million" mean nothing by itself  ::)

a million hertz doesn't make sense either. I think he was seeing the memory. It displays as 1,xxx,xxx K. Yes, a million. Anyway I've seen it anywhere between 1.5 and 2 gigs, but my bottleneck is available RAM, so if I had more, I'm sure better display settings would increase such statistic in a positive ascension on the resources used category of Evermore.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5682 on: January 30, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »

The hackers in this game are seriously starting to piss me off. The same dude's been teleporting around instagibbing people for the past two days on Genudine.

It doesn't help that SOE just deletes any threads in their forums about it. Don't want people knowing you can hack the game? Too late - Now let us vent at your inability to prevent hacking in nearly every single game you run.

If this keeps up I'm going to start demanding a refund for the SC I've put in. I know I won't get it, but they'll start realizing if they don't fix it it'll hit them in the wallet.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: January 30, 2013, 06:44:51 pm »

The hackers in this game are seriously starting to piss me off. The same dude's been teleporting around instagibbing people for the past two days on Genudine.

It doesn't help that SOE just deletes any threads in their forums about it. Don't want people knowing you can hack the game? Too late - Now let us vent at your inability to prevent hacking in nearly every single game you run.

If this keeps up I'm going to start demanding a refund for the SC I've put in. I know I won't get it, but they'll start realizing if they don't fix it it'll hit them in the wallet.

I feel the same way, but I knew what I was getting into. None of the SOE games I've played dealt with its hackers, guess it must be an acceptable quality loss for them.
Not that much you can do against it in a free to play game, but that argument doesn't hold up when you see hackers with battle ranks up to 20 and higher. It's a shame really, can only imagine how great this game would be on moderated private servers or if it changed hands or some such.

Having official forums zealously moderated seems to be the norm lately. They're not really forums, just online publicity for their game really. Don't want no bad publicity even if it's game discussion.

Anyway what I really wanted to ask was wether any of you have experience with sticky grenades.
Not really thought about using them yet but from what I hear mines are getting changed to no longer activate on proximity but on motion, wich would ruin my sunderer mine suicide attacks. I figure if I get sticky nades I could just drop the mines and throw a sticky nade on them to set them off manually.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:48:38 pm by Jelle »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: January 30, 2013, 08:41:11 pm »

You can also shoot your mines, though that tends to force you to be danger close.

As for SOE censoring their forums to remove complaints, that doesn't surprise me at all, coming from a non-Valve, non-indie company. I remember more than a little of that going on back in my (shudder) b.net days. Though I will admit that Bungie wasn't nearly as irritating as SOE; they at least pretended to care about their players more than their players' pocketbooks.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 826