Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089677 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6420 on: March 09, 2013, 10:09:58 pm »

What about the VS battle rifle?  It'd be pretty swank with no drop.  Oh hey, there it is, no drop.  That one's killed me quite a bit without me realizing that was what is was.  I'd be even more all over that if I was VS.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:11:40 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: March 09, 2013, 10:35:57 pm »

Sorry, I should have clarified: VS bolt actions have bullet drop. The scout rifles and semiautomatic sniper rifles do not. This can be easily confirmed by checking the ripped weapon data. My issue is that I've seen people claim that the bolt actions don't have drop, when they clearly do.

Whoops, my mistake.

That's bullshit then, and I'm probably going to try it out sometime soon.

It's less than impressive after you remember that you've still got scope sway, and that the average draw distance for enemy infantry is apparently around 100m in light skirmishes, dropping down to around 5m in biolab battles.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:02 pm »

Some guy was driving a sunderer around while playing the ice cream truck song over proxi chat.

I'm done, there is nothing greater I can experience in this game.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6424 on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:17 pm »

I am NC on Matherson, friend me my name is DuctapeB12
I got nothing

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: March 10, 2013, 06:46:41 am »

In other news, I may have to pimp out my Gauss SAW.  I was kicking ass with it unupgraded last night, and when the Phoenix comes out I'll probably be playing a lot more HA.  How do the various scopes compare on it?  I was thinking the 2X reflex for variety.
2x reflex is the best sight on the SAW, full stop. I wouldn't be too upset if it came welded on. Good vision, enough zoom to engage at the ranges where the SAW dominates but not so much that you can't ADS in closer fights. There is rarely a reason to use anything else.

That said, I also own the 4x Truesight for long range, static engagements. Anything with more zoom or that obscures more of the screen makes you useless in close/mid range, while 4x zoom is enough to be an effective sniper from nearly any range. The one big problem I have right now is that playing on my resolution (1366x768) I have to have render quality over 95% for the vertical crosshair bar to render when the scope is stationary. I rarely have my render quality anywhere near that so using the scope becomes a lot harder.

In any case, I've been moving away from that sort of engagement. It can be fun to pad your KDA as well as being a semi-useful role you can play while lagging in a large fight. But any time there is a chance for that kind of thing there are a dozen snipers making the kill shots while you are getting assists and spot bonuses. It's a nice option to have, but I no longer go looking for chances to use it.

As for other attachments;

- Advanced forwards grip
- Compensator
These two are permanent attachments on all loadouts. They make the recoil easily controllable and make even fully automatic fire viable.

- High velocity ammo
I like this for long range where it makes hitting moving targets easier, but it essentially cancels out the compensator when it comes to recoil. I also don't think the added damage (or rather reduced damage falloff) is that important. One area this really shines is spraying ESFs. You hardly have to lead them at all, so long as you remember to burst a little bit more conservatively than usual. I use it with the 4x scope and with my desperation anti-air loadout, but other than that I don't think it's a good tradeoff.

- Laser dot
I tried this for a while but it's frankly not worth it. You just can't make the SAW good at hipfire. The foregrip gives more benefit even in situations the laser was designed for.

- Flashlight
Hahahahahahaha.

- Suppressor
I've actually been tempted by this because I often make flanking runs on enemy armour groups where I want the first sound I make to be a tank or two blowing up. Revealing myself on the map is a quick way to invite some HE shells before I can get close, while leaving infantry alive on the way in allows people to spot and/or shoot you. That said, it's even more situational than the long range loadout and losing the compensator would suck.

To the mouse discussion, I use a Logitech G700 wireless gaming mouse. Mostly because I'm on a laptop moving around a lot and have killed three other mouse cables. Performance is close enough to perfect that I couldn't say it isn't unless I'd read tech articles on the thing. Battery life isn't good, but the battery it came with can be charged through a USB cable (regular micro-USB as well, I can substitute my phone charging cable if need be) that is no more restrictive and more robust than a common mouse cable, so it just turns into a wired mouse every so often. It gives an obvious low battery warning extremely early (I'd say with about an hour's use to go) so you can wait for some downtime before finding the cable to plug it in.

I haven't fully settled on a button setup for PS2, but one thing I always have is right/left tilt on the scroll wheel assigned to volume up/down. Being able to make volume adjustments on the fly is a godsend. I also have a profile completely assigned to Foobar controls, including music volume independent of global volume. Music during fights is a bad idea. Silence while wandering between bases is tedious.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: March 10, 2013, 07:09:00 am »

Just had a nice battle for Hvar agains the TR. We first took it when there was little resistance, but then at least 2 platoons started piling up on us right after we had set up everything properly. Cue a massive fight with them first locking us into the base, we slowly pushing them out, them coming back again and finally capturing it. It was a load of fun.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:04 am »

Finally got the hang of my shiny new bolt action sniper rifle. I still have crappy accuracy, but I'm progressing fast.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: March 10, 2013, 08:01:20 am »

I've never, ever been even a half-decent sniper. Wich is bad enough in games like TF2, where snipers are hitscan, but even worse in realistic games like this.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: March 10, 2013, 08:11:10 am »

I'm good enough at sniping stationary targets, though I can't land any killing shots with my semi-auto (they run away aww), and I don't have the certs left over to spend on a bolt-action one.

Are the infiltrator anti-personnel mines very effective, or should I wait for 1k for the SMG I want?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:15:50 am by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: March 10, 2013, 08:19:33 am »

AP mines are great. I only have them on the engineer as I don't really play infiltrator, but use them all the time in defences.

But then I haven't ever felt I need any new guns and basically plan on buying everything to max out each class before bothering to play around with other weapons. Except maybe on vehicles.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6433 on: March 10, 2013, 12:30:20 pm »

I'm surprised it's so safe to buy vehicles. If I was a general, I would station infiltrators over every single vehicle pad anywhere. Put mines down and go overwatch. You CAN'T miss when the target's standing still for more than a minute. You want vehicles? Buster, you better get back to your warpgate, where my engies are pumping out AT mines on the roads like racehorses fed nothing but nitroglycerin.

If we lose a base, first thing you do is put AP mines on the vehicle terminal and AT mines on the road in front of it. THEN we go psychological. First guy gets blown up by mines on the terminal, next guy gets blown up AFTER buying the thank, third guy gets sniped.

The ultimate goal is to make the entire enemy team decide that vehicles are a too risky to buy. They might switch to air vehicles, sure. Which is why we make sure to put AT mines on all enemy air resupply points. I find it fascinating to use AT mines to get anti-air damage XP.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:55 pm »

I tend to put AT mines near vehicle pads we're about to lose. Always. It's free XP.

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 826