Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089923 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7095 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:12 am »

Epic Moment before logging for work...

After taking Stronghold from the TR their normal procedure of countering any of our movements is to spam Prowlers down that hillroad from Fieldspar Canyon Base. Around 15 Prowlers halted the NC Swarm of Pubs and mindless zerglings. I Switched to Light Assult and climbed the nearby hill, dropping the spawn beacon for my squad to drop in from above and rain down rockets onto the unsuspecting Prowlers, it worked well until some Libs and Mozzies swarmed over them taking them and the sundy that came in for a couple of AAMaxes to spawn in...

Meanwhile I had switched to Infiltrator and hotdropped onto my own beacon. Landing behind the lines and instantly cloaked. A couple of the AT Turrets were manned so I headed to the one cloeset to the front lines. It was less defended and nearly unnoticed except for a few players that even knew it was there. It too was manned...

Dropping a Proxie Mine near where the Occupant would be ejected to, I began my hack, naturally the occupant did explode with myself a little closer to it then I thought leaving me slightly wounded. But none the less unnoticed. I climbed into the AT Turret. There was around 8 Prowlers and 2 Sundies still up on the TR side. A couple pulled back to repair due to damage. I saw to them quickly with a shot each to their arse. The rest of the Prowlers were left wondering why they were taking damage from behind so suddenly before exploding in 2 shots. The Sundies were next, quickly picking them off...

My heart was beating like mad, the armour was removed so I left the Turret, only to run into a TR Infiltrator with the OP Hailstorm (IT IS FFS, TOO MANY BULLETS PER CLIP, NOTHING BALANCES THAT FFS SOE)...

I dropped again this time heading for the tower, hacking turrets and taking down a Prowler or Sundy that was spawned. Sadly what I wasn't informed was the TR chose to enter the Stronghold from the Sky, looking up I saw over 20 Mozzies, 10 Libs and 3 Gals dropping death onto the Stronghold. Oh well...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: April 23, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »

What class do you want to upgrade? :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: April 23, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »

Generally when using the Air Hammer, I find that A2A missiles or rockets (lolpods) aren't as useful as having the fuel tanks.

A2A missiles are really finicky at the moment, when I shoot mosquito's with them, it usually hits their tail fin and deals zero damage, while with scythes I do damage about half of the time. A2A missiles will pretty much always do damage to liberators and galaxies, but you could do a lot more damage with direct fire from rocket pods.

I discovered something with my reaver. Mosquito's are below me on the ramming food chain. It goes: Scythe -> Reaver -> Mosquito. Turns out if you ram a mosquito on its tail fin you can cause them to do all kinds of flips and if you're lucky the pilot will panic and crash into the ground. Sometimes if you've dropped his health you can kill him with the ram.

If you ever see a scythe flying directly at you, run bro, FUCKING RUN.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: April 23, 2013, 12:48:23 pm »

That's really not terrible XP if you're on at an oddball time of day.  Especially since you can go deep into enemy territory and do it.  Just hop in a Reaver and cruise around- too bad you can't yet take vehicles to other continents.

Throw proxy mines into enemy biolab SCUs for extra giggles.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: April 24, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »

I feel like this update is very VS lovey...

Unrelated, I have a personal useless project i'm working on and I'd be interested to see all the data from the game through the months(vehicle deaths etc w/e). I'd like to compare it to the updates and see what I can see, I guess. Are there any resources or aggregation of data somewhere on the internet of stuff like that?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:19 pm »

There's an official API.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:50 am »

I feel like this update is very VS lovey...
Considering the current player count on the server I'm on is VS25%/TR37%/NC38%, that's probably for the better.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: April 25, 2013, 02:49:43 am »

same here on Ceres. On the six/seven alerts I participated so far, VS won 1 (despite controlling often nearly half the continent in the first half hour), TR 2 and NC 3-4. And while the population and warpgate placement might play a role, it is not everything. We lost Indar pretty hard despite being 33%-33%-33% and having the northern gate. (but we were holding the Crown and Allatum bio lab, so there's that.)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: April 25, 2013, 10:15:30 am »

There's an official API.

There's an official API for current data. I want data going back into beta, if possible.

EDIT:

Also, check this out: http://www.battleforauraxis.com/

it's a neat way to see who's winning the resource game
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:21:40 am by Tylui »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: April 25, 2013, 11:29:32 pm »

What is better to spend my next 1k certs on?

Option A: Get the Skyguard for the lightning and then concentrate on developing the tank for best effect....
Option B: Get the second Burster and develop the MAX to the, um, max......

Just fifty certs short of the target so I'm getting in early.
I have developed my engy as far as I need to at present, there's still things to upgrade but I want to branch out a bit.  My skills with the AA turrets and the one Burster are the major motivation for getting my own AA platform built.

I value any input/insight you guys care to offer.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7105 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:00 am »

I'd go with the burster max out of those two. You are not as obvious to incoming air and it is easier to grab when needed. You can also defend places such as biolabs and airdocks far easier. You'll probably want to build up the certs to pick up the expanded ammo for each burster.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: April 26, 2013, 03:34:11 am »

Burster max is by far the superior choice for AA duty. You're hard to spot and can utilize cover and buildings. You can easily change role to AI (and perhaps AV with the upcoming new max weapons) at an infantry console, wich are also far more common then vehicle consoles that can supply tanks. Lastly the burster arms aren't all that bad for AI duty either, can't really say the same about the skyguard. The max burster weapons are also flat out superior because, as far as I know, they have less spread and similar damage.

Alright so in order to figure out how to best those pesky liberators I've decided to figure out how to use them. Spot their weaknesses things I'm doing wrong when I'm the one piloting the thing. Naturally I won't be able to experience the gunner role much, seeing as you rarely have other players waiting for you to man their gun. I rarely have anyone who wants to man my gun in fact, rather odd...

Anyho wich certs do you guys reccomend? Flares seem like a nobrainer, but I am honestly considering the ejection system or afterburner. Nanite repair for defense looks good given how flak armor only gives a measly 10%, and I think the precision bomber would suit me best for performance. As for weapons the tank buster dalton and walker seem nice.

Getting the hang of handling it a bit. Not to much different from an ESF, so long as you take in account the wonky movements when rolling past a 90 angle. Have even been able to fly it upside down already. My escape manouver underneath a biolab didn't turn out to good though.  :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 03:56:31 am by Jelle »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: April 26, 2013, 03:59:46 am »

Hmmm.  I already purchased the extended mag for the initial burtser, but the ex-mags are still buggy atm, SOE really need to fix that.
  The only reason I was undecided between the two was the fact that the lightning is more mobile and as an engy, I can fix the thing when it breaks.  The MAX is slower if you need to travel long distances and there seem to be few people around willing to transport a random - but it can hide in a lot of unusual places.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: April 26, 2013, 06:12:18 am »

http://youtu.be/2Nj58znu8nw

This video describes the advantages of the skyguard. The most important I think is surviveability. It's fairly easy to dodge ESF rockets and even sometimes liberator shots in a lightning. As a max you're a sitting duck. Also, anyone who thinks the skyguard doesn't rip through infantry is crazy. I can't kill them as a heavy. It's fairly easy to sneak up on a lightning, place a rocket in their back, dodge their shots while reloading and then putting another one on them to finish them off. I can't do that against the skyguard. It rips me to shreds.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: April 26, 2013, 06:43:43 am »

For burster MAX vs skyguard, I'd say if you have to ask the question it's burster MAX. It is more universally useful. It fits in with PUG play better, is more versatile and is still incredibly useful in organised group play.

Skyguard is fantastic, but mostly in platoon/ops play. If you ever play an anti-air role in such a group then having the Skyguard available can be invaluable. Often people playing different roles will end up being asked to pull them for those who don't have them, so just being able to pull one can really help your group even if you don't play it personally. The same goes for AA support Sunderers (dual Walkers plus vehicle ammo resupply) which are fantastic, especially filled with burster MAX.

And Orb, to kill Skyguards as HA carry C4. One brick + rocket to the back or 2 bricks anywhere (useful if they face backwards to fire). They are harder to take down than regular Lightnings, but I've been prioritising them during big fights for a while now and they aren't as impossible as it seems at first.
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 826