Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089678 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7425 on: May 24, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »

C4 is incredible when you toss it in the middle of a MAX / Medic / Engie huddle. Oh man. Oh man oh man. So many delicious certs.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: May 24, 2013, 04:16:21 pm »

C4 is incredible when you toss it in the middle of a MAX / Medic / Engie huddle. Oh man. Oh man oh man. So many delicious certs.
the problem is detonating it before you die. Ah, the good ol' days where you could toss, die, respawn, press the button and reap the XP.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: May 24, 2013, 04:36:47 pm »

the problem is detonating it before you die. Ah, the good ol' days where you could toss, die, respawn, press the button and reap the XP.
Why did they ever stop this? Its prob like the damn Tankmines... Crying...

THE TANK MINES WERE MAGNETIC NOT PRESSURE!!!

The thing I hate about C4 is that people time and time again say, "its only a second before you can detonate," Yet I have thrown, held down mouse button for detonate and have NOT DETONATED IT EVEN AFTER WHAT FELT LIKE FOREVER.... T_T

Also, hating so much right now some people on Briggs, clear cut Aimbotter/Rader abusers. Clientside Hitbox dodging players to, who force their ping to stupid levels which allows them to shoot around corners they aint even at or even shoot at you when your well past that corner cause your still on their screen or some other BS reason. Almost all of the Major VS Outfits do it...
A Magrider was sitting above Broken Arch Road, we climbed up the side with LA off to the side where not even WE could see the damn Magrider if it wasn't for the damn thing firing every second at something down below. All of a sudden he was shooting at us before we even got half way up the damn side of the thing way way way out of the way of either of them to be looking let alone "checking". I survived and was able to cling to a safe spot, even made it look like I jumped BUT he kept his distance and constantly kept looking towards where I was, there was no way for him to be sure I was there still or not yet he did so. Even when we came at him from another angle (drop podding) he knew exactly where we all where all the time...
Moments later after finally getting rid of him he is running around in that stupidly overpowered Max chasing people and stuff (no max should be able to outrun someone). After nanoseconds after killing this guy he SNAPPED like straight around and shot at us who were watching him through those Tiny arse windows on the second floors of the buildings, perfect aim too, no fucking way he could have know exactly where we were or that we were there considering we only went to the window by chance to see him running after the guy in the completely opposite direction, not even a second VS player in sight so no "Oh someone else could have spotted ya" either...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: May 24, 2013, 05:00:50 pm »

Guys.
How to not suck at Light Assault Planetside 2?

Collect weapons and other items that are more effective at killing people than the default equipment.

Skill is a secondary, less important concern.
More effective then Default equipment??? For which Faction? NC, NC or NC??? Stock Weapons for both the TR and VS are well situated for LA. Flash Bangs are never used by anyone, its a shame though they seem to work but tbh they hit you just as easily as they hit them. The only thing you need other then that is C4. Lots and lots of C4...

Yeah, Neyvn's right. If you're NC you might as well just give up because you're at a disadvantage in literally every way.

Literally.

Every.

Way.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: May 24, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »

Guys.

Play heavy assault.

If you can't not play LA, get C4 and an auto shotgun.

But really, play heavy assault.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7430 on: May 24, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »

Quote from: hotfix notes
Saron HRB
 COF Max reduced from 6 to 2 (recovery rate changed from 12 to 4)
 Changed to semi-automatic fire instead of full auto
 Inner Blast damage increased from 350 to 850.

My Saron! It is unbroked!

Also double XP this weekend.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: May 24, 2013, 06:02:50 pm »

isn't that the Harasser version of the Saron?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: May 24, 2013, 07:38:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Report, relocate. There's no point staying in the same area as the cheater, all that does is provide fun for him and frustration for you.

Or into a group of enemies taking cover behind a corner.  :D

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7433 on: May 24, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »

While defending against large invasions in towers and biolabs, I go C4'ing with wreckless abandon. Enemies tend to group up into tight groups, complete with MAXes, Engies, Medics, etc. I just use the vertical element to get above them and start dropping C4 and grenades. Just drop the first loaf, wait a second for medics/others to come rushing in, and drop another one. Grenades are harder to use, but can still be devastating. I can easily get 4 or more certs per life while doing this, and it's turned around the battle a couple of times.

Naturally, I die fast once people realize what's going on, but they're right back to ignoring what's above them by the time I've respawned.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: May 24, 2013, 08:20:18 pm »

C4 is amazing. I never have enough infantry resources since I spend it all on C4.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:34 pm »

Grenades are harder to use

God I wish there was a button for just dropping the grenade rather than lobbing it with all your strength.
And I wish they weren't made of sodding rubber. >:(

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7436 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:33 pm »

They are a lot better at landing where you actually aimed them than they used to be at least, though I agree a drop grenade command would be incredibly useful.

The double xp is resulting in a huge amount of certs, I made over a thousand in 2 1/2 hours during an alert this evening, almost maxed out my zealot from it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: May 24, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »

Guys.

I don't play LA much so a lot of this is just general advice focusing on LA default weapons and mechanics. I'm focusing here on NC because that's all I really play.

Assuming minimal cert investment (so no C4 or new weapons);

- Altitude is your friend. People don't look up, so even a fairly naff hiding place will often work. Being above people means more headshots as well.

- Know the strengths and best range for your gun - no matter what you are using - and practice putting bullets into a target at that range. The Mercenary is actually a fantastic gun if used for mid/close ADS. Watch MattiAce's aim and skill tutorials series. He used the Merc almost exclusively (although on engineer) until switching to TR.

- Outside that range have an idea of how you will react. Know how far out you can still snipe with single shots without it being a pure waste of ammo. Work out your best closing methods - usually over the top of cover for LA. Have a plan for in-your-face close quarters, even if it's just spray and pray.

- Cert to cover your weaknesses. This is the opposite to my HA play where all my attachments are focused on further buffing mid/long-range ADS focus fire. On my Mercenary I ran a laser dot to increase my hipfire, despite primarily used it ADS. This gave me an improvement in the otherwise weak area of close range hip-fire, while the close/mid ADS was already strong. This is just 100 certs and greatly improves your LA and engineer default weapon versatility.

- The only real class feature is the jump jets. If you aren't using them you are just an engineer without the ammo packs, repair tool or extra explosives. As such, put yourself in situations where you are using them as often as possible. If you aren't getting any use out of them then be the engineer instead. You may want to put some early certs in. Play in a biolab and see if you are confident getting around. If not, upgrade them another rank and try again.

- Flash grenades aren't a bad option but rarely used to their potential. I'd ignore them until after making bigger investments. Smoke grenades are probably more useful but can be used from an under-barrel launcher on the S-type carbines without costing any resources. Paying 200 certs for one smoke grenade that costs 75 infantry resources is only worthwhile if you are going to pay out for the grenade bandolier and feel you need smoke when using a gun other than the S-type.

- Nanoweave is the best armour option as a beginner, even just at rank 1. I wouldn't bother investing too much further though. There is no obvious advantage for the LA from going deep into any of the suit slot options so it's personal preference.

- Remember that guns have a slow and fast reload, depending on if you have run them empty or not. The Mercenary takes 2.75 seconds to reload from empty, only 1.8 with at least one round left in the magazine. 'Tactical' reloads to top off after each exchange are usually worthwhile. This is more true on some guns than others (the GD-7F only saves 0.3 seconds from a 3 second reload), so experiment or look up the times.

- Grenades are very effective but a lot of the time their value lies in the huge red marker they put on other people's screens. Using them to control where people move can be more valuable than the kills, especially when you can move around easier than they can.

If you are looking to change weapons, some thoughts (heavily NC here);

The Blitz (high capacity SMG) is the best value investment of any gun in the game. It can be used on all non-MAX classes effectively. With a fair investment in attachments it is scarily accurate in hipfire and no slouch for ADS (although very limited effective range). Because the LA can close so well this makes a hell of a lot of sense.

The GD-7F is tied for highest RoF (and, IIRC, DPS) carbine in the game, giving the NC a gun that outclasses everything the TR has at their own game. Before the SMGs were added it was the best at what it did. Unfortunately now it's pretty limited as an LA only weapon (engineer is unlikely to use it) compared to the Blitz. Maybe if you can get it cheap compared to the SMG and are unlikely to use it on any other class anyway.

The Gauss Compact S is a platform for a grenade launcher. While it's not the best carbine ever it's not that much worse than the basic Mercenary. Running it without an UBGL or UBSL is a waste though, so you have to make do without a rail attachment when using the main gun. I don't find the grenades offer much to an LA (only get two shots) compared to a high RoF gun or even just a Mercenary with laser dot. It's more of a support weapon; I run it constantly on my engineer. May find some use for laying down smoke or hunting Sunderers with C4.

The AC-X11 is a Gauss SAW with only 20 rounds in the magazine but a far shorter reload time. Given that getting the drop on someone with the SAW should kill in less than a dozen rounds (3 to 8 ideally) this is actually viable. That said you will have problems with multiple opponents, the recoil is a serious problem and demands bursting, and you are giving up close quarters power which LA is often supposed to focus on.

Shotguns... yeah.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:32 pm »

Guys.

Collect weapons and other items that are more effective at killing people than the default equipment.

Skill is a secondary, less important concern.

Default infantry weapons are rather balanced. As are most default primary weapons.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: May 24, 2013, 11:20:19 pm »

Briggs is losing NC and gaining TR - looks like the dev team has succeeded where the TR and VS have failed - the NC will be whittled away to the diehards and will be reclassified as "Endangered"

I haven't seen the TR at less than 37% server pop since update 9.  During primetime last night, NC was steady at 25% server pop, VS continues to bounce around with the 4th faction being highly variable - even more than usual.  TR was at 40% and that was not during an alert.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 826