Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089276 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8040 on: July 09, 2013, 05:57:11 pm »

Wait wait wait
I haven't been able to shoot sideways with a Scythe... is that intended?
And afair you *do* get a reticle... or am I just going bonkers?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8041 on: July 09, 2013, 06:00:31 pm »

Now, THAT is something interesting.

Can you do the same with rocket pods? :P

You can fire any weapon from that view.
However since you don't get any targeting recticle you can expect the accuracy of a blind dabbling crossbowdwarf.

The A2A missiles however... those things are lockons and the area that locks is fairly large so you can lock and fire at aircraft from TPP with fair accuracy.
Just put a black dot on your monitor where the crosshair usually is. Use a dry erase marker or even a removable sticker.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: July 09, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »

Now, THAT is something interesting.

Can you do the same with rocket pods? :P

You can fire any weapon from that view.
However since you don't get any targeting recticle you can expect the accuracy of a blind dabbling crossbowdwarf.

The A2A missiles however... those things are lockons and the area that locks is fairly large so you can lock and fire at aircraft from TPP with fair accuracy.
Just put a black dot on your monitor where the crosshair usually is. Use a dry erase marker or even a removable sticker.
And if you're feeling ballsy there are programs that do that (put a red dot on your screen).
Might get you banned tho...
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: July 09, 2013, 06:18:39 pm »

Nah, those aren't cool. :/
Should I get thermal or zoom optics on dual photon (rocket) pods? I'm leaning thermal, but having 1.25x while I get the 200 certs for them.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:13 pm »

I'd go for the photons.
They turn any ESF into a insane anti ground murdermachine.

I wouldn't bother with thermal on ESFs since the range is kinda limited and you shouldn't be slowing down too much in a ESF around infantry anyway.
Self promotion below.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:25 pm »

Should I get thermal or zoom optics on dual photon (rocket) pods? I'm leaning thermal, but having 1.25x while I get the 200 certs for them.

Thermal.

If you have a primary weapon with zoom and a secondary with thermal (or the other way around), if you swap between the two while holding down the right mouse button you can get 2x thermal zoom, for example.

Or, at least, you can in the VR.

Thermal is probably better anyway. Do you really need to see what you're blasting with rockets that closely?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: July 09, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »

Are battle rifles worth it? I hear they kind of suck. I'm thinking I might want to cart one around while I'm running around in a tank or supporting a tank column. Is it useful in that capacity?

The Warden is my #1 usage weapon, and #2 for kills, so I think I know a bit about it.  To sum it up in one sentence, it is situational.

I love using it, certainly, but it's not for all cases.  It's good when you're outside pushing over somewhat open terrain, and infantry are exposed enough to hit more than once.  HV ammo is a must with it, simply for the increased muzzle velocity- you won't notice the damage.  The CoF reset is pretty fast, so if you fire it a bit under max rate, every shot will be accurate.  That said, you must have good aim, because it's going to take several shots to drop a target.  If you can't score headshots well, you're probably better off sticking with another weapon.  My engy has three near identical loadouts, just with a shotty, carbine, and the Warden, depending on engagement range.

Also, never take it into a biolab.  Damn near any other weapon will school you in CQC.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: July 09, 2013, 09:08:50 pm »

My impressions with it so far seem to be that in the ranges it's supposed to be useful at, there are snipers waiting to shoot you, and that any other range you're dead by every other weapon.

I've only had it for two days, and I don't have any attachments for it. Maybe my stubbornness to justify my purchase by carrying it around and try to find a use for it will pay off.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: July 09, 2013, 10:10:16 pm »

I cannot stress enough getting HV ammo.

Also, a good scope.  That's pretty much all you need for it.  Compensator is really not required, given the CoF reset is so fast.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:22 am »

Go the 4x scope, (no sway), and definitely the HV ammo, best purchase I made.

It is not a close-up and personal weapon, and as for the sniping infils, they are what my Warden eats for brekky.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:31 am »

Why use a scoped battle rifle when you, TR and VS, get semi-auto sniper rifles for free (which no one likes because you can't put someone down in a single headshot)

Also don't use white board markers on your monitor, most are alcohol based and will damage the surface of an LCD screen.
I used to use a bit of post it note for my leet360noscope days

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8051 on: July 10, 2013, 04:34:23 am »

Why use a scoped battle rifle when you, TR and VS, get semi-auto sniper rifles for free (which no one likes because you can't put someone down in a single headshot)

Because when rolling with a tank colums they probably want to fix damaged vehicles and pew pew with the BR when the repair tool is cooling down.
You just can't grab repair certs as an infiltrator sadly.
Self promotion below.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: July 10, 2013, 05:11:48 am »

Because then you have to be an Infiltrator instead of an Engineer.

And the semi-auto sniper rifles blow. They have scope sway and the COF increase per shot is so ridiculous that if you even try to fire a follow up shot as fast as you can you will miss your second shot even if your crosshairs are right on target. Not to mention you can't put someone down in a single headshot.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:02 am »

GU12 notes.

Mostly quality of life changes. My favourites from the (long) list;

- Recommended servers now faction specific
- Alerts will be less frequent and have different requirements for starting
- Members get 3 new loadouts for each class/vehicle, another 4 can be bought (if same as PTS, SC only)
- "Improved damage feedback" for infantry and vehicles
- "Fixed" the no-revive bug (!!!)
- Can now see the squad details for each squad in a platoon.
- New effect for 'safe' ejection from air vehicles
- Notification for when you are in range of a point but can't capture it for whatever reason
- UI notification for when vehicle gunners are hitting enemies (!!!)
- Score screen can be viewed while dead
- Instant action/squad deploy systems merged between map and HUD (no more cancelling redeploy when you go to look at the map I hope)

The gameplay changes;

Fury nerf finally goes live. Direct hit damage reduced from 750 to 300. That makes it two-shot against infantry without changing it's splash damage (550 central radius) at all. It's damage type against armour has been changed so it's still viable AV, which is it's intended purpose after all (Bulldog is the AI grenade launcher). Compare to the Enforcer nerf that dropped splash damage to 150 leaving direct-hit intact, with the reasoning that it's an AV weapon and so shouldn't do splash damage.

Nice that it won't be one-shotting any more, but the thing will still eat groups of non-flak-armour infantry. Two shots within 2 meters will kill any infantry with nanoweave 2 or less, which means flak armour all day when defending Sunderers. There is also a 0.5 second reload time increase, but that's not going to stop it being the smartest and most annoying choice on Harassers.

Sunderer no-deploy zones put in on Indar and Amerish (ahead of the Amerish lattice which has been delayed). Intended to increase defenders advantage by stopping sunderers from deploying closer to the point than the defender's own spawn. Should make medics more valuable yet again.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: July 10, 2013, 08:08:11 am »

So as it would turn out, this game runs pretty damn amazing on my computer.
Somehow.
Is anyone else playing NC on Waterson?
I'm saving up for one of the 1000 Cert shotties, do you guys recommend the Claw or the Bruiser?

EDIT: Also, when are the servers going to go back up?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:09:57 am by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 826