Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089308 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8565 on: November 18, 2013, 06:21:54 pm »

Ah don't give up, defeat is a harsh lesson but a good one. Just got to take the time to take in your surrounding and analyze what went wrong beforehand, then adapt your strategy. While twitch shooter skills are always a factor, I find that in this game maintaining good situational awareness and playing smart is far more important.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:22 pm »

Try shooting at the target dummies in VR. I want to say that it's helped my aim, but I can't really make that claim, but it does provide a relaxing, pressure-free environment to practice scoping in on targets and shooting them.

It'll also familiarize you with the recoil patterns of various guns, which is an important part of shooting people accurately.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: November 18, 2013, 06:39:35 pm »

Eh, my performance in the game fluctuates between "epic killstreaks and singlehandedly infiltrating enemy bases" to "die as noobishly as possible in 10-20 second intervals".
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: November 18, 2013, 07:41:27 pm »

Also I suggest jumping in the turret of some vehicle. Especially vehicles with non-standard camo. I figure someone who puts camo on their vehicle has spent real money, and thus is more likely to be a serious player, meaning they will be more likely to do their part to stay alive.

Being in a vehicle might make you a bigger target, but you're also immune to snipers and basically immune to small arms fire. So it gives you a chance to aim against live targets and get used to how the environment looks.

I'd pick a sundy, harrasser, or tank (in that order) for these purposes. I'd stay away from air, as they're less stable for shooting and more of a target, and squishier.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:35 pm »

I'm in agreement with Jelle here. By far the biggest thing is staying aware of what's going on outside of your little cone of vision, much more so than reaction times. Times where you turn the corner into an enemy, neither of you prepared, are going to come down to who has the faster-firing gun most of the time, but if you're paying attention, there are tons of indicators (including footstep sounds that match the surface, the cloak-uncloak noise, jetpack noise, enemy voice macros, etc.) that really help you out if you pay attention to them.

Oh, and IMO the easiest class to fight with is LA, at least initially, because you can put yourself in all sorts of strange positions to let you get the drop on people, as well as circumventing choke points, and there aren't any of the secondary concerns you get with the other classes about healing/repairing/rocketing/dropping ammo/finding a place to snipe that doesn't instantly get your face blown off.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »

So, when I first started playing I unlocked the extended magazine for the EM6 for 100 certs, and it never would let me equip it.

Started playing a couple days ago, still cannot equip it. It shows that it's locked but I cannot cert into it.

I know it's in the game because I went to VR training and I could equip it there.

Grr anger.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: November 18, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »

the cloak-uncloak noise

Advanced tip:  The noise is faction-specific.  Learn it and you can tell if that decloak behind you is friendly or aiming a SMG at you.

So, when I first started playing I unlocked the extended magazine for the EM6 for 100 certs, and it never would let me equip it.

I believe their support is pretty good- submit a ticket?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:20 pm »

Eh, my performance in the game fluctuates between "epic killstreaks and singlehandedly infiltrating enemy bases" to "die as noobishly as possible in 10-20 second intervals".
This.

And I must agree, AWARENESS IN PLANETSIDE 2 IS VERY IMPORTANT.
There's been so many times where I flank a camper-hill and kill at least half the people there before someone realizes what's going on and starts shooting at me. This is the reason that the recon-tool is so powerful, possibly as powerful as the cloak: you can see where everyone is. However, as was already mentioned, footsteps, voice macros and other sounds are very helpful as well, especially once you learn the faction-specific voices.

And a semi-pro-tip: don't freaking Q-spot people when you're going in secret!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: November 19, 2013, 12:22:01 am »

I believe their support is pretty good- submit a ticket?
Is that something that's done in-game? I've never done any kind of customer support thing before.
And a semi-pro-tip: don't freaking Q-spot people when you're going in secret!
I know this very well, and yet I still can't help but do it anyways. It's just kinda an automatic thing.

I didn't know the cloak sound was faction-specific though, hmm.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: November 19, 2013, 01:38:28 am »

One thing that can help with the shitty, crowded minimap and HUD icon confusion is to make all friendlies a very distinctive color. I use hot pink. Everything that isn't stylish gets blasted.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:28 am »

One thing that can help with the shitty, crowded minimap and HUD icon confusion is to make all friendlies a very distinctive color. I use hot pink. Everything that isn't stylish gets blasted.

Eh, I just go with garish faction colors. Bright Blue for NC, Bright Red for TR, Bright Purple/Pink for VS.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: November 19, 2013, 03:15:52 am »

So what's everyone's opinion on Gauss SPR? It seems a lot better to me than the NC bolt action when it comes to shooting moving targets (ie most of them). Or should I be looking into getting some other semi-auto rifle?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8577 on: November 19, 2013, 07:36:07 am »

Honestly, the Semi-Auto rifles were great even before the recent Sniper Rifle nerf and much more consistent for me. Now they're just plain better than bolt-action rifles, since anything beyond 150m can't be one-shotted anyways.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:26 am »

Okay.... I go to play the game and instead of going to character select it goes to faction selection... where is my character? =o

EDIT: I select a faction and the server I play on has 100% NC poulation, 0% others. Did something happen?
EDIT2: I just saw the little red arrow that means the servers are down, nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:11:58 am by OzyTheSage »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:04 pm »

For long range I used the SPR for quite a bit early on. It's much better than the NC's starter bolt action at first while you are getting better at aiming and leading targets, because it both allows follow up shots and doesn't lower the scope after firing the first time to pull back the bolt. I used the 12x scope with it with a grip.

I've used the Bolt Driver with a 12x scope lately for long range.

Close range bolt action is what I use on the infil usually though. I use a 2x reflex or 3.4 red dot sight plus a suppressor, or either a 3.4 red dot or 4x with chevrons and no suppressor for longer range. Flashlight is what I use because the grip isn't useful for bolt actions and with the performance patch I can turn shadows back on for infantry fights. Red dot 3.4 sight is probably my favorite of the sights for the SAS-R, but it really sucks against certain dark texture backgrounds because it blends in when aiming for a headshot at mid range or greater, because you have to aim slightly above the head where it blends with the background texture. It would be really cool to be able to change the color of the crosshairs or dot when aiming down the sight.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 826