Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089481 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9885 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:28 pm »

With two burster MAXes this'll be the best AA in the game.
It would still only be one Max on each side. Admittedly, you could get close and follow the target a lot better with this.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:45 pm »

Rez grenades? Medical choppa?

I think it would be hilarious to see a vehicular smoke weapon, so you could just carpet a base with smoke. Lag would probably nix the idea though.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: March 25, 2014, 01:09:45 pm »

Smoke would be more useful if being in the smoke actually blocked your vision

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:25 pm »

Rez grenades? Medical choppa?

I think it would be hilarious to see a vehicular smoke weapon, so you could just carpet a base with smoke. Lag would probably nix the idea though.

If engies could rearm friendlies in flight by being inside the same vehicle then it would become the ultimate UBGL spamming vehicle.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:10 pm »

Smoke would be more useful if being in the smoke actually blocked your vision
It does for me, should I lower my graphics?
except instead you just shoot at any shield or marker tag people have over their head.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: March 25, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »

I have my settings decently high I suppose, but I can still see silhouettes walking through the smoke, plus the shields and such. I remember one game where being in smoke would actually force an overlay on your screen to make it harder to see, but this game relies on the particle effects to block vision which doesn't always work correctly.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: March 25, 2014, 02:58:38 pm »

I have my settings decently high I suppose, but I can still see silhouettes walking through the smoke, plus the shields and such. I remember one game where being in smoke would actually force an overlay on your screen to make it harder to see, but this game relies on the particle effects to block vision which doesn't always work correctly.
Yeah, from what I understand, if you have a low enough particle setting, you don't see smoke. Which is why you see certain folks just ignoring it completely.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: March 25, 2014, 10:27:46 pm »

You see smoke, it's just there are large gaps in it. From far away it's a solid cloud, but up close the sub components or what not that the large cloud is made of are small enough that there are large gaps.

Plus you can see triangles, heavies with overshield, medics with heal aura, and the flash of shields when someone is damaged through even the thick parts of the smoke.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:34 pm »

Just got this game and was reminded of how horrid I am at twitch shooters. After 12 hours of shameful 1:20 KDR/being useless in the face of (comparatively) godlike reflexes and reaction times of my opponents, I have relegated myself to playing nothing but medics. RIP.

edit:

with that said, just noobtubing everyone is really fun. I have a hard time keeping my mouse on people for more then a few milliseconds, but it if only takes one shot...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:01 pm »

Welcome to Planetside.

Being new really sucks in this game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: March 26, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »

Just got this game and was reminded of how horrid I am at twitch shooters. After 12 hours of shameful 1:20 KDR/being useless in the face of (comparatively) godlike reflexes and reaction times of my opponents, I have relegated myself to playing nothing but medics. RIP.

edit:

with that said, just noobtubing everyone is really fun. I have a hard time keeping my mouse on people for more then a few milliseconds, but it if only takes one shot...

Well to be fair those were massively nerfed not long ago. Used to be able to kill on a non direct hit.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: March 26, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

I've been reading this thread trying to pick up some information that will make my very short lifespan mildly productive. A few pages ago someone was talking about certs; how do I earn these? 1k is doable in 5 days? I've been playing for a good 5 hours and I've only made 50!

I suppose that's testament to how terrible I am more than anything else, though.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: March 26, 2014, 07:40:39 pm »

Many say play engineer, find a place where a lot of people are shooting but aren't making too much progress. Drop your ammo pack (hit the fire mode button with your turret out) and you get certs for giving them ammo.

Playing medic and just reviving people/healing constantly could also work. Capturing bases, defending bases, and getting badges also gives experience.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:54 pm »

250 xp nets you one cert, and a standard kill is 100 XP.  There are many modifiers, both additive (+10 XP for headshot) and multiplicative (+20% XP for fighting in an alert area.)  Additives are first, so that's a good thing.  Many other things give XP (repairing, healing/reviving, supplying ammo, blowing up vehicles), and pretty much all the support ones are worth more when done to a squaddie.  Being in a squad in general is a good thing.

You also get 12 for logging in daily, and a ribbon worth 250 XP every ten kills with a certain weapon.  The first five ribbons a day are worth triple.

There's a few other ways, mostly with medals for reaching a certain sum total of kills with a weapon, though they're piddly considering just how many kills you need to get them.

I wouldn't worry about buying any expensive guns with certs until your basics are kitted out.  If you like playing medic, the medical applicator is a great start.  Do get a scope for your favorite weapon though, and check suit slots to get a couple ranks (many of them start 1 then 10 certs for the first two ranks.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: March 26, 2014, 07:56:42 pm »

My medic has the same SPM as my LA, but it's vastly easier work. I'd recommend it as a decent and easy (if boring) source of certs. It does require an initial investment to get your medic tool maxed out, but once you get there it should give you close to a cert a minute.

I have no idea how well engineer works, but I get the feeling it's probably not as good as medic. People are more likely to die than run out of ammo, and they can't run away while you res them.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 826