Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084989 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10290 on: April 26, 2014, 07:11:01 pm »

THE (Mattherson) NC WANTS YOU!
Ah good! Bay12 on Mattherson! :D
I've made an NC character there because...*glares at Briggs @Loginside 2*
...Yeah.

Also why does the NC have such fancy pistols ;_; The TR has a...repeater. With such high recoil.
And you blue guys have such fancy bolt-action sniper rifles. >_>

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10291 on: April 26, 2014, 07:13:31 pm »

Its because we are supposed to "eventually" have vehicles and open world PVP.

How does the game work actually? Is it just a bunch of extra rooms like an FPS video game or is it somesort of persistent battlefield with clans controlling sections

Look at a video.
There are 3 continents and if you get in a plane at the warpgate(spawn) you can fly all over the place with no zones and attack any base or foe in between.

Really. Firefall is more similar to WoW than planetside.

Well then I really feel like downloading, Im sick of firefall, it goes nowhere and when I come back after 4 months, everyone in my clan and friendlist has quit for months.
The (Mattherson) VS also want you, and we've got lashers and plasma rifles, unlike the NC's array of shotguns and such! :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: April 26, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »

Bluh >.>
So I get a "Unable to download SocketError:Host Not Found (11001) - " when loading up that PS2 client (yay regular annoying updates...)
And it won't download the new patch. There's a link that cuts OFF THAT BOX (and off the client screen, which I've no idea how to widen) and after downloading the 43Mb-ish file, have no way of getting it to work.
Support/Help section doesn't.
Sometimes I dislike Planetside2 for this reason :/

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: April 26, 2014, 09:25:27 pm »

Do we really have a lot of NC on Mattherson? I may actually make a switch over if that server is good, the only outfit that is really active on Waterson is PHX and the leadership isn't quite what I'm looking for, it's more of a zerg outfit than a tactics outfit... while a zerg is nice in a game about population, putting people in the correct place instead of charging all the time is pretty beneficial to success. 80 people camping a spawn room with 12 guys in it is not a good use of resources.

What about the TR? Are there any organized TR things? I'm simply not that interested in VS BS.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: April 26, 2014, 09:33:28 pm »

@Tiruin
     Forumside 2 has detected that you are a Briggs player and you will not be allowed to play anywhere else.
     Get used to it.
     At least the primetime Friday night patches have stopped, you should have heard the shitstorm erupt when we're playing, there's twenty minutes left of an alert and then the System tells us Briggs is shutting down for servicing - and doesn't come back on line for seven hours.   For a supposedly 30 minute update.
     There are threads on SOE.com full of irate Aussies and PacRimmers that hit 5 pages in under half an hour.  (A challenge we rose to one night).
This is a good read.  Warning: There is sarcasm.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: April 26, 2014, 09:38:07 pm »

@Tiruin
     Forumside 2 has detected that you are a Briggs player and you will not be allowed to play anywhere else.
     Get used to it.
*plays on Mattherson* :v
But now? Nope! I can't even play the client because it doesn't want to download the new 93Mb update.
Emphasis on 'doesn't want' due to that last post :/
Unable to download SocketError:Host Not Found (11001) - http://pls.patch.station.sony.com/patch/sha/planetside2/planetside2.sha.zs/37/345/1a9cda40045bc810b2ceccf24c6f9fb9a15
Validated all game files. Nothing wrong detected.
On that note, downloaded the file-system doesn't recognize the file (and if it should be placed somewhere, I have no idea what to do with it-support doesn't seem to help)

...Also wow that's a huge list of >:(
At least I'm not alone in playing Loginside 2, now.
Also compared to the login time @Briggs, before? Any other server is quick. Briggs takes minutes more in comparison.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:40:21 pm by Tiruin »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10296 on: April 26, 2014, 10:24:46 pm »

Yesterday I tried logging in for three hours.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10297 on: April 26, 2014, 11:07:47 pm »

It seems every time I go to play I see in the announcements thing about the briggs server being messed up in one way or another.

I feel sorry for Aussie gamers

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: April 26, 2014, 11:28:09 pm »

How does the game work actually? Is it just a bunch of extra rooms like an FPS video game or is it somesort of persistent battlefield with clans controlling sections

Look at a video.
There are 3 continents and if you get in a plane at the warpgate(spawn) you can fly all over the place with no zones and attack any base or foe in between.

Well then I really feel like downloading, Im sick of firefall, it goes nowhere and when I come back after 4 months, everyone in my clan and friendlist has quit for months.
The (Mattherson) VS also want you, and we've got lashers and plasma rifles, unlike the NC's array of shotguns and such! :)

I think I took mattherson VS, so can you guys send me an invite? I use the same Screenname as here

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: April 27, 2014, 03:31:13 am »

Look at a video.

Don't join VS on Mattherson, join the TR instead. They need the most help, though I've seen more of them after the latest patch.

VS Mattherson have some of the best outfits in all of PS2. In addition many of their less experienced players have a lot of certs to spend. Back when Zealot Overdrive was around VS players made tens of thousands of certs from end alert awards alone due to being essentially unbeatable for months in alerts due to ZOE and overpopulation as a combination of people logging onto their VS for easy points and others not wanting to fight the resulting purple horde that usually existed by halfway though the alert.

NC has a good mix of new players and experienced players.

TR had to deal with ZOE era VS bullshittery and then their own strong weapons were nerfed in the same patch that finally reined in ZOE, and a lot of their players left or changed servers. The recent patch they had some attention paid to them so maybe their veterans will be common to see again.

Before the previous patch at least, the only nights you would see TR with a decent population on was when one of the VS outfits did their TR night.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:54:09 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: April 27, 2014, 08:52:46 am »

While I'm not going to argue with things I wasn't around for, I remember the Mattherson TR having 40% pop one day last week. That was an interesting day.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: April 27, 2014, 10:55:59 am »

Look at a video.

Don't join VS on Mattherson, join the TR instead. They need the most help, though I've seen more of them after the latest patch.

VS Mattherson have some of the best outfits in all of PS2. In addition many of their less experienced players have a lot of certs to spend. Back when Zealot Overdrive was around VS players made tens of thousands of certs from end alert awards alone due to being essentially unbeatable for months in alerts due to ZOE and overpopulation as a combination of people logging onto their VS for easy points and others not wanting to fight the resulting purple horde that usually existed by halfway though the alert.

NC has a good mix of new players and experienced players.

TR had to deal with ZOE era VS bullshittery and then their own strong weapons were nerfed in the same patch that finally reined in ZOE, and a lot of their players left or changed servers. The recent patch they had some attention paid to them so maybe their veterans will be common to see again.

Before the previous patch at least, the only nights you would see TR with a decent population on was when one of the VS outfits did their TR night.

Um im not sure what that means? I know you get certs from killing and capturing, I have no idea what is the alert stuff is, and I dont even know what the patch did. Some explanation plz.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: April 27, 2014, 11:06:17 am »

Um im not sure what that means? I know you get certs from killing and capturing, I have no idea what is the alert stuff is, and I dont even know what the patch did. Some explanation plz.
Cert gain is based on experience you earn, 250xp = 1 cert. A kill usually nets you 100 xp or so, while doing various other activities can earn you XP as well, ranging from damaging enemy aircraft (not even destroying them), healing/reviving teammates, giving ammo to teammates, spotting an enemy with Q that subsequently gets killed by a teammate, damaging an enemy that gets killed by someone else afterwards (An 'assist'), having a sunder deployed and people spawning on it, and many more things. You can get more certs supporting people than fighting enemies if you know what you're doing. Playing in a squad and playing with 'the underdogs' (being outpopulated) will also give you bonus XP.

Alerts are something they added to Planetside to give people an overall 'objective' and sense of direction, plus they're used as stopping points for some players who had no sense of when they should stop playing (at least I think so anyways). At the end of an alert as long as you're in the region that the alert covers (for example, if it's a tech plant alert you have to be at a tech plant, friend or foe) than any experience you've earned playing it is essentially boosted by 20%. So if you earn 100 certs during an alert when it ends you'll have 120 certs.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: April 27, 2014, 11:07:36 am »

Over the Winter, the Mattherson VS were overpopulated. Usually having around 45% of the pop around prime time (~9:00pm), and 50%-60% at other times.Even pop would be 33% for each faction. As a result they won around 90% of alerts, the NC won the other 10%, I only remember the TR winning 2 alerts during the entire winter.

Winning an alert grants 10,000 Exp or 40 certs.

However, populations are fairly even now. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:09:32 am by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: April 27, 2014, 11:16:00 am »

I basically skipped everything that was in quotes there with my reply, sorry XD

ZOE is short for Zealot OverdrivE. Each faction has access to 5 infantry classes plus a powered armor suit called a MAX which costs infantry resources (usually spent on things like grenades and mines) and has a cooldown similar to vehicles. Every faction usually has a distinct feature that separates it from the other factions, and the MAX of each faction has their own unique ability. TR get an ability that makes them rocket bait, NC gets an ability that gives them a riot shield of sorts, and the VS gets an ability that turns their MAX into a dancing queen of death. ZOE used to make MAXES move at insane speed with increased rate of fire and damage, at the cost of taking a little bit more damage. It was eventually nerfed quite a bit, I rarely see it used anymore.

EDIT: For reference, most guns in the game make you move at half speed while aiming down sights, while some specialized for close quarters make you move at 3/4 speed. The ZOE max allowed you to move faster than an infantry's normal jog while being able to shoot at high rate of fire. The increased damage you took was completely mitigated by the fact that you could duck in and out of cover so quickly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:19:38 am by OzyTheSage »
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 826