Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089190 times)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10725 on: June 28, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »

I hate the piece meal approach of making the battle islands with continent locking.

Um, unless you dont know what piecemeal means but I just said that. I hate the approach of it. If they really want to start fixing it right away without introducing battle islands would be kill 4th factioning.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: June 28, 2014, 03:52:26 pm »

I agree, 4th factioning makes the game less enjoyable. They really should have only allowed one realm per server but I guess that would make server merges harder. Both my TR and VS characters have merged onto my NC's Mattherson in two separate merges.

As for being piecemeal people would complain even more if it wasn't and they had to wait years for anything to change.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: June 28, 2014, 04:24:40 pm »

As for being piecemeal people would complain even more if it wasn't and they had to wait years for anything to change.

True, but ideally the game should not have been released in an unfinished state that made this piecemeal approach to updates a necessity in the first place. I still don't understand why they didn't simply keep it in beta. Nobody would complain about piecemeal updates if the game was still in beta because beta is goddamn beta. That's what it's for. It's still in beta as far as the actual development process goes, with features being added and removed and completely overhauled. I don't understand why SOE was in such a rush to push it out the door. The only thing that accomplished was that it made people go, "What the fuck is this shit? This game's released, it's supposed to be finished! Why is half of it not working right and the other half not implemented at all yet?"

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: June 28, 2014, 04:40:50 pm »

The gauss S rifle is good too, but I don't find the smoke launcher as useful now that everyone and their dog has IRNV, plus it has just slightly less rate of fire which further emphasizes it not being great in close quarters. Smoke is still good against MAXes though, I remember the other day people were saying that NC was abusing smoke because VS loves to pull tons of maxes with lobster claw canons (whatever their AI weapons are called) and roffleskate all over people in bases. Hard to do that when they can't see anything =p

Now we just need the flash suppressor to reduce/remove tracers, or another ammo type that doesn't deal more damage but instead reduces/removes tracers. In reality there are things called subdued tracers, which only fully ignite after travelling a certain distance so they're less likely to give your position away.

I still haven't made a TR or VS character...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: June 28, 2014, 08:17:08 pm »

I agree, 4th factioning makes the game less enjoyable. They really should have only allowed one realm per server but I guess that would make server merges harder. Both my TR and VS characters have merged onto my NC's Mattherson in two separate merges.

A ten minute lockout would fix all the problems, but apparently that's too much effort.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: June 28, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »

I'm going to be honest here Toaster, I really don't see how a ten minute lockout would even be useful, most of the fourth-factioning problem lies in massive numbers of players switching from faction a and seizing all (or most territory) to faction b and repeating to faction c and repeating then back to faction a.  Even several nasty zergs still take far more than ten minutes to flip a continent.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: June 28, 2014, 08:37:09 pm »

Because most of the people would get bored waiting for that timer.  Granted, it might make people just log out instead, but that points to a game design flaw, not fourth factioning. 

It has the bonus advantage of making switching quickly to the other faction to spy much less worthwhile.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: June 28, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »

Baron also has the highest MV of any shotgun, making it with slugs pretty much a ghetto battle rifle for the LA.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: June 28, 2014, 09:19:58 pm »

Because most of the people would get bored waiting for that timer.  Granted, it might make people just log out instead, but that points to a game design flaw, not fourth factioning. 

It has the bonus advantage of making switching quickly to the other faction to spy much less worthwhile.

You forgot 3rd party mic systems.... So yah NO 4th faction ever.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10734 on: June 28, 2014, 10:34:45 pm »

How do you use a grenade launcher?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: June 28, 2014, 10:38:45 pm »

Hit the 1 key (by default)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10736 on: June 28, 2014, 11:07:14 pm »

But how do you get one?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: June 28, 2014, 11:23:04 pm »

I think it's only on a few guns, the S versions of the default carbine and assault rifle for your faction.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: June 29, 2014, 01:09:59 am »

It's an unlockable rail attachment for the S variant guns, which are TRAC-5 S, T1S Cycler, Gauss Compact S, Gauss Rifle S, Solstice SF, and Equinox VE2.

I'm going to be honest here Toaster, I really don't see how a ten minute lockout would even be useful, most of the fourth-factioning problem lies in massive numbers of players switching from faction a and seizing all (or most territory) to faction b and repeating to faction c and repeating then back to faction a.  Even several nasty zergs still take far more than ten minutes to flip a continent.

The fourth faction is a myth. Supposedly.

If you don't look at the post it says 1% of players switch characters on the same account.

There isn't a set of players who spend all day jumping from faction to faction to zerg across continents. The zerging across continents happens anyway, without them.

I wonder what the other faction's 167 damage rifles (Corvus and SABR) are like. I notice only NC have 200 damage rifles.

The SABR is good but it's hard to click fast enough to fire at 600 rpm. I find it kind of difficult sometimes to accurately track targets while I'm trying to spam the left mouse button as fast as possible. When I succeed the gun is beastly.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: June 29, 2014, 01:44:55 am »

By the way, free NS-11P (platinum! medic rifle! shiny!) code: SummerReward
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 826