Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089518 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #12195 on: October 30, 2016, 08:51:28 am »

A couple of days ago, they've made some significant updates.

- The game now uses BattleEye. I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

- Numerous new base buildings, Light Vehicle/Aircraft Terminals: LVT spawns non-MBT vehicles, LAT spawns ESFs and Valks, both cost both Nanites and Cortium. Elysium Spawn Tube: Allows spawning without parking a Sunderer there. It costs Cortium per spawn, so a Sunderer may still be a good idea. Ammo Dispenser: Reloads nearby vehicles' ammo, and yes, Cortium per reload. Pillbox: A smaller bunker? Large Vehicle Gate: No more gaps in walls to allow ANTs through I guess. Alarm Module: Alerts the base owner and their squad when any enemy approaches or attacks a structure within 100m of the module. And lastly, the Glaive Ionized Particle Cannon: Yes, artillery. Not sure what it means by "disrupts shielding systems", probably Sunderer shields, but it says it does little damage to players and vehicles. It is also unmanned and requires the AI module near it.

- Cash-shop unlocks for base buildings is now unlocked for all characters on an account(like NS weapons for characters). If the same module was cash-shopped for multiple characters, DayBreak Cash will(eventually) be refunded.

- Cash-shop instant purchases(instead of Cortium) for base buildings removed, replaced with purchase via certs.

- Numerous weapon changes, including significant buffs to Vanu and NC vehicle weapons. Little is mentioned for the TR, except the Gatekeeper, which has an accelerating projectile(starts slow, goes faster) but no more recoil.

- Valkyrie gets buffs. Squad Logistics is now inherent, certs refunded. Gunner seats have 360° swivel.

- New Nanite Systems weapons lines are being introduced, starting with the Naginata LMG. I can't tell for certain, but they sound like they will need Nanites to equip[CITATION NEEDED]. A new directive line for NS weapons is added as well.

- Bonuses for winning a continent now persist until the continent is claimed by someone else(meaning the bonuses stay after the continent unlocks).

- You can respawn directly into a vehicle if respawning at a base where the vehicle terminal is intact and the base fully owned. It uses your "first loadout", which most likely can be changed in the vehicle screen while waiting to respawn.

- Several bug fixes and changes. Bounties can be placed on your killer with both DBC and certs. Fixed Q-Spotting through walls(damn, I was relying on that ;)).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: November 19, 2016, 03:31:55 am »

Gave the game another try after having been away for a year! Still fun as hell in that chaotic kind of way, even if I'm pretty rusty. Playerbase is alright, was expecting worse - still plenty of large fights at 3am Emerald.

Kind of weird to see how little things have changed, though; the game is still a complete mess. I dont want to lay into DBG too hard, but they're really lucky that PS2's concept is good enough to fuel the game on its own.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: November 19, 2016, 11:29:25 am »

They're lucky that everyone else that tries the massive war between multiple sides thing winds up taking down their servers fairly early.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: November 19, 2016, 11:58:37 am »

They're lucky that everyone else that tries the massive war between multiple sides thing winds up taking down their servers fairly early.
Care to elaborate on this? What other games have tried this? Serious question, I haven't been keeping up with this stuff.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: November 19, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »

MAG was a similar walk-for-ten-minutes-then-die-to-someone-you-never-saw simulator and didn't last very long.  Fun fact, you can still buy it in the clearance rack of some stores despite being unplayable.
Shoes...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: November 19, 2016, 12:33:20 pm »

If I'm walking somewhere its because theres an ANT base in the way of the sunderer path, tho.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12201 on: November 19, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »

I was about to say Shattered Galaxy is still alive, but it seems to be dead...
I actually logged in, the server's up, but as far as I could tell I was the only player.  Maybe there's a new server or something, but the last newpost was last year.  And most hype seems to be for a potential remake.
Considering the game is 15 years old, that's probably overdue :P

It's a MMO RTS, not FPS.  Looks and plays a lot like Starcraft, but with an overworld system that's surprisingly similar to PS2.  Players reinforcing from other areas and fighting over strategic points.  I liked to bring a few medics and a "triage" platform that refueled and repaired allies, once deployed.

Hope it gets a nice remake, the concept was surprisingly fun even though I'm bad at RTS.  Much as PS2 is fun even though I'm not good at FPS!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: November 19, 2016, 01:24:25 pm »

MAG was a similar walk-for-ten-minutes-then-die-to-someone-you-never-saw simulator and didn't last very long.  Fun fact, you can still buy it in the clearance rack of some stores despite being unplayable.

Bahahahaha. Oh man I owned this on PS3.

I frequently referenced it to friends as evidence that SOE wasn't just fucking up planetside, but was always this bad at asymmetrical balance (or at least as asymmetrical as you can get in a 3-faction shooter).

At least in MAG the maps were big enough to where player density wasn't goddamn 48+ people in one building all staring at the same 2 doorways. #50cal.saltlyfe

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: November 19, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »

I was about to say Shattered Galaxy is still alive, but it seems to be dead...
I actually logged in, the server's up, but as far as I could tell I was the only player.  Maybe there's a new server or something, but the last newpost was last year.  And most hype seems to be for a potential remake.
Considering the game is 15 years old, that's probably overdue :P

It's a MMO RTS, not FPS.  Looks and plays a lot like Starcraft, but with an overworld system that's surprisingly similar to PS2.  Players reinforcing from other areas and fighting over strategic points.  I liked to bring a few medics and a "triage" platform that refueled and repaired allies, once deployed.

Hope it gets a nice remake, the concept was surprisingly fun even though I'm bad at RTS.  Much as PS2 is fun even though I'm not good at FPS!

I remember that. I remember I logged in one day after a few years of not playing, found myself with a shitton of Uranium(cash-shop currency iirc) with no idea how it got there. I too was terrible at this game. Maybe someone will notice if we get a bunch of B12ers on there for shits and giggles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: November 19, 2016, 05:46:46 pm »

The world map is covered in a strange washed out purple which I think means the native xenos have overtaken it.
It's honestly kinda disturbing, like the apocalypse hit and I woke out of a deep-sleep chamber.  I wandered into the nearest zone and I actually got slaughtered by unexpected native life forms.

I probably could have reclaimed the zone, if I was careful and patient, but... maybe not.

Yeah.  zanu sengen
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12205 on: December 07, 2016, 03:45:45 pm »

If there's anyone else still playing this, are you having problems updating? I can't play because of it. The update progress is stuck at 0kb, and eventually times out.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: December 07, 2016, 05:16:35 pm »

Trying to launch the game, it's stuck at "installing 0mb out of 238."
Apparently they are 'having server stability issues after the update' so I imagine it's just a temporary thing.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: December 07, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »

The world map is covered in a strange washed out purple which I think means the native xenos have overtaken it.
It's honestly kinda disturbing, like the apocalypse hit and I woke out of a deep-sleep chamber.  I wandered into the nearest zone and I actually got slaughtered by unexpected native life forms.

I probably could have reclaimed the zone, if I was careful and patient, but... maybe not.

Replying to an oldpost, but whatevs.
Those Xenos are actually the reason the servers are empty. IIRC a while ago (2 years or so) a patch was added that made the Organics that take over some empty areas every few hours quite a lot stronger, so strong in fact that you need a group of people to take the areas back (instead of just some random guy with slightly-better-then-staring units).
Since at that point there were maybe 10 people still playing on each faction there were not enough players left to keep the Xenos down and good PvP battles up at the same time, so everyone basically said bollocks to that and quit.
At least that is what a friend told me who was still playing it up to that point.

I really loved that game when it came out and I have some great memories of it.
I started playing on the EU server (mostly german, actually), which was named Tactical Commanders for some reason, pretty much on release day and I've been on it for 2 or 3 years.
Had a high education/mechanics build and fed all my uranium to a single condor (named Elysion), which had so much overpowered equipment it was able to out perform whole squads of other players.
Someone once told me the veterans on his faction actually consider it to be some kind of boss fight.  :D

The remake is playable and still being improved, AFAIK.
I've seen some videos of it and it looks good.

Errm, yeah... Planetside.
I quit shortly before the developer change, after SoE made the base design once again even worse (which was always my main gripe with the game).
Checked it out again shortly after the construction patch, but base design (and map design in general) was still completely horrible. Way to many narrow funnels, chokepoints and lack of objectives to spread players out a bit.

Did they improve on that by now?
I'd really love to play again, but I'd hate to download the whole thing again only to find out that it is still 200 players crowded into some tiny area that would have been on the small side for a 4 player Unreal Tournament (yes, the 1999 version) map.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: December 07, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »

Shattered Galaxy is one of my oldest gaming memories that I consider 'modern', discounting things from like N64 and whatnot.  I played pretty deeply into end of life, well after Nexon pretended it never existed.  I need to look into this remake...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: December 08, 2016, 06:32:08 am »

My stance about PS2 is mostly the same. I want to love this game and it's given me some great memories, but it's not worth the frustration of constantly being farmed by people you can never beat because they have spent more time on the game. The developers don't give any thoughts to casual players: everything is balanced around veterans having a lot of clueless new players to farm so they can have their fun.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 826